How to spend Reka Checks

Hi everybody,

what is the best way to spend Reka Checks?
I got some checks, but I don’t know how to spend it in a useful way.
I would like to use it on things I would need to spend money anyway.

However, I already have a GA and don’t need fuel or anything transportation related.
I don’t go out for lunch (especially during Corona) and don’t see much use to spend it on vacation.
I also don’t have interest in zoos, museums, fitness memberships, etc. and I don’t want to spend it on things I would normally buy.

Do you have any clever suggestions?

I use it for public transport (annual A-Welle ticket).

Fuel!!

:red_car::red_car::red_car::red_car::red_car::red_car::red_car::red_car:

Edit: good to know, it counts emojis as characters!

2 Likes

These are the 3 things I use them for (train, gas, lunch at a restaurant at work).
To be honest, without those I would also struggle to find ways to spend them.
Perhaps sell them at a mid-price (both you and the other person split that 20% discount - or whatever you got - in 2 or such; so win-win)?

This could be only due to my limited observation but it seems like stations accepting Reka checks have higher fuel prices. I’ve been considering if the 20% employee discount would be worth it. In general I prefer to pay by card at the automat and be on my way.

I cross the border between SZ and ZG quite often and fuel typically costs almost 10 Rp less per liter in SZ. In this light the Reka money would probably be worth it on paper but is it worth the hassle?

You can do that via REKA card, same as with any other. I believe you can “load up” the checks to the card?

Cool, I didn’t know they had modernized their offering. In that case I could keep the card in the car. I have to find their latest letter and see what the current offering is.

There was a simple discussion not long ago:

https://forum.mustachianpost.com/t/reka-cash-as-easy-3-4-investment/

I think you can buy the GA itself with Reka, if you haven’t done already.

Exactly, just put them aside until you can buy your next GA.

Thank you all for your suggestions!
I’ve got my GA from my company, so that’s not really an option, but I’ll check out the options from the reka website. Maybe I’ll use it occasionally for restaurants or sport equipment

Ski tickets (but not this year I guess) worked for me, but I also used to struggle a bit to use them up.

1 Like

Thanks a lot, Beisat, that will actually be very useful.
Although I am not using that much either

Somebody found a new way to spend reka money instead of public transport, restaurants, fuel and vacation? I feel like even with a company discount this just leads to more spending overall…

Nothing new, zoo, museums or skiing was mentioned from the start.

What’s your company discount and limit? I can get a few hundreds at 20% discount, but could spend 5 times as much on train tickets and fuel alone.
If you don’t use them, ask around your family or friends, they might be in a similar position as me and happy to take them off your hands.

1 Like

Not new in the sense that SBB were already accepting Reka, but their new Halbtax Plus targeting occasional commuters and travellers can also be paid with it.

Regarding fuel, both AVIA and BP accept Reka and it is true that they are generally not the cheapest petrol stations. However, it happens from time to time that one gets quite cheap. According to benzin.tcs.ch currently the cheapest petrol station in CH* for SP95 is BP in Pfäffikon (at 1.56 CHF/L).

*excluding Samnaun, ofc.

Sell them on ricardo or on this forum?

Exactly. With the new electronic Reka accounts you can easily transfer Reka money to others.
If you sell your holdings at a 5% discount, you will easily find takers.

Against their rules and most likely a playfield for scammers

I use it for ski and eating in the slopes… I buy always Snow and rail ticket with REKA. A hack here is that you buy the snow and rail but when the app asks you to enter which SBB card you have, you need to put GA and then if you go by car you only pay the ski ticket with 20% or 30% + the 25% from reka.

Example: last weekend I went to Engelberg. I pay ski ticket with Snow and Rail only 68 CHF and since I paid with Reka, it costed me 48.75 CHF.