How to short currency on IB?

Those two are mutually exclusive.

Edit: I’ve cut the snarky bit because I had read too quickly and just saw that you couldn’t have set it up. Based on your previous answers, it still seems to me that you couldn’t find a way to make a profit out of your prediction, in part because you didn’t have the timing of it and the risk/benefits ratio of the options available to you wasn’t to your liking. Make it one of the “I saw it but there were no way to profit from it” ones, those happen, sometimes because others also saw what you saw.

I like the way to frame it that says that, in order to generate above average profits in the market, you have to be more right and more often than most people. Being right isn’t enough.

if you just read a bit you’ll see I’ve never done forex or options before, and I’m rather afraid to go into a technical setup I don’t understand a 100%, especially with a high leverage.
Rule of thumb is if you don’t know what exactly you’re setting up, then rather don’t.

Money not made is not lost, so in the end all good, I’m just a bit bitter to have seen it this well.
Next time I’ll go to Robinhood, I guess that has a button to “short this” :crazy_face:

1 Like

Afaik, you can’t use Robinhood in Switzerland. Unless something changed in the last 6 months.

Dammit :joy: seems there’s no way out…

1 Like

The problem with Forex is you are predicting what politicians are going to do

The government in Hungary could increase HUF rates tomorrow and your trade would be toast

Switzerland seems to be like that: a lot of the schemes available to american people can’t be found here because we have a culture of protecting less sophisticated people (also against themselves) rather than shamelessly preying on them. It’s a hard place for making a quick buck (but a good one to build wealth).

Also, thanks for your explanation. I was too quick on the trigger.

No offense, but you obviously are not aware of Hungarian politics. It’s not as easy as a one-sentence solution. It never is.

BTW base rate is 6.5% (up from 0.9% a year ago).

Hungary base rate 9.75%

CHF-HUF up from 323 a year ago to 415. (27% devaluation YTD)

For the sake of the experiment, dare I ask you to let us know when you think you would be exiting your short position had you taken one?

I would’ve exited at 400 - I expected that level around early autumn though.

1 Like

Noted, thanks!

.^…^.
~°–°~

1 Like

CHF - HUF 440

a further 10% down in 2.5 months