How to keep track of your Net worth

I use sharesight.com, but CS funds are missing. To have a global overview I use Excel, but I don’t have historical data. I’m not sure it’s worth the time to move to https://www.portfolio-performance.info. I don’t see the point to have historical data…

1 Like

Hi! nice idea this little program…however, I’m stuck at the beginning: what should I put in IB Flexquery in order to make portfolioperformance digest all the data? Or have I to put anyway every stock and ETF I have on IB manually for the first time?

Thanks in advance, cheers!

There is a list in the portfolio performance forum about what you need.

I was too lazy and just added everything.

Regarding tracking net worth, I had an idea in my head for some time. In my professional work, I specialize in data interfaces between systems/applications. For example: core banking system & e-banking app. The technology can be one of many options: CSV file, XML, SOAP, REST, MQ.

Now, there is this EU PSD2 initiative, a.k.a. Open Banking. It aims at banks being obligated to provide common interfaces for startups and financial institutions in general. With such an interface available, one could provide a service that aggregates all transactions and positions from different sources.

I have not studied the market, maybe there already are some applications on the market. The way I see it, you would have to give permission from within your e-banking / app for each platform where your money is. Then you should be able to download all this data in a standard format (or even beancount?). That would be so great and save time for us nerds. On the other hand, I’m not sure how many people would be interested and what would be the incentive of banks etc to provide these interfaces, other than being ordered by EU. (Switzerland does not have to abide by PSD2, many banks want to do it either way)

1 Like

Portfolio Performance can also import from PDFs. But I’m sure it is less reliable and more work to maintain for each source.

I wanted to write a small app that convert IB pdf’s to csv or any other format. I simply prefer to download PDF for human usage but sometimes I’d love to throw that data in google sheet without going back to redownload them in csv/xml format.
I didn’t write it because I’m lazy. (that goes together with the small app to fill the PDF for DA-1, but those pdf were a bit hard to fill because of the wierd naming inside them)

For IB you can fetch most of the stuff as xml which is very machine friendly.

Check https://toshl.com/
https://toshl.com/fr/bank-connections/

2 Likes

As I said, I don’t want to download it all and whon’t do it twice.

Did they get an award for nicest app name? :slight_smile:

Doesn’t seem to be open source.

This looks really interesting. Have you been using it? The price is a bit steep: $40 per year. But it’s nowhere near to the time it took me to do all my beancounting last year… I just wonder how do they stand with privacy. I mean, suddenly they would be able to download my transactions from the bank, IB, revolut. If you have my transactions, you know a lot about me, right?

No, I’m not using it because my credit card provider Cembra doesn’t participate (expenses) and I don’t like the fact to have an aggregator connected to all my accounts. At the end, I’m just doing a rough tracking in Excel to have an idea.

1 Like

GnuCash. Use it to track all spending and income, as well as assets (cash, bank accounts, depot, pension funds etc.) and liabilities (only credit card at the moment)…
Sometimes I´m suprised not more people here use or recommend it.

I believe you can maintain individual stocks and update the values automatically. However, I don’t use the functionality to keep it low maintenance. I update my portfolios only once or twice a year with the actual values.

There’s some charts but that’s limited. To keep track of my wealth, I type the different accounts in Excel once a year, typically combined with doing my taxes.

1 Like

Yeah, well, I checked them more closely and they have APIs to only some services, like Revolut. IB, PostFinance is all done via you logging into the website and then a robot reads the information from the website (or so I see it). Cembra is not even listed, so no Cumulus. Yeah well, it sucks that there is no open standardized API. I think I could live with it (one company having my transactions, but only that, no logins etc).

Tried it, But since my computer is setup in Frechn and I wanted to have it in English which I never managed, I gave up (you have to meddle some txt files and I could not make it work

Not the easiest or most straightforward to use… I guess a lot of possibilites since it is open source, but that just changing language would be such a hassle I was fuck it… google sheets combined with a form for entry.

True, you need some time to get used to it. Once you are familiar with the logic of double-entry accounting, and set up the categories and accounts important for you it’s quite easy, though.
I spent maybe 5, max 10 minutes a week to update all entries and that’s it.

You can modify the language in text file, not in the tool itself: https://lists.gnucash.org/docs/C/gnucash-help/chang-lang.html

Their app and web interface is one of the worst I have seen…

Solid list but still not complete (csx missing etc). I guess still an mostly unsolved issue… :confused:

Yep tried to meddle that text file, somehow I did not make it work.
And even so I found it most outdated from the graphical design and all.
Had nothing to do with the double-accounting, since I was already quite used to that. used another opensource app before, but which was more user-friendly.

Finally, I wanted something where I and my wife can type in the stuff on-the-go on the phone. I think this did not work with gnucash. Not sure however.

Indeed it is terrible, and they don’t event provide e-bill and a CSV version of the transactions.

2 Likes