How to declare vested RSU's in tax ZH

Hi folks,

I’m filling my own taxes for last 4 years, as it was quite straightforward. Recently I got some RSU’s got vested (I haven’t sold it yet). Can someone explain bit detailed, under which section in tax form, I need to declare this additional income.

I was thinking of declaring the vested value as wealth, under it under wertschriften und guthabenverzeichnis as steuerwert… But don’t know whether it is correct.

Many thanks for your precious help here
P

It should be already included in your Lohnausweis (RSUs are income from your job).

You do need to declare the vested shares as wealth if you haven’t sold them.

Most likely the best place is the DA-1 form so that you get the withholding tax on dividends reimbursed (if you keep them that long, I sell as soon art they vest).

1 Like

You are probably talking about unvested RSUs. Yes, they don’t need to be declared.

Thank you all for your advice, I’ll declare and let the tax authorities correct me if they want me to eliminate the vested unsold shares.

Thanks
P

Of course they won’t ask you to eliminate the VESTED shares, those are part of your wealth (and probably produce income as dividends) so must be declared.

About the UNVESTED shares instead, the tax office won’t care about them and you can save the effort to declare them IMVHO.

At the tech giant we had resources on how to fill the tax forms (go/zrh-tax). I usually even put the unvested shares as p.m. (pro memoria) with a value of 0. Every year with a new grant of RSUs there was a new line added. With the p.m. line indicating the remaining unvested shares and one line with actual vested shares at market price at 31th December.