How to avoid paying interest on 'impôt cantonal et communal" #"acompte" #C permit #tax declration

Hi Guys I have been to the Geneva tax office for my questions but fail to get a clear answer, maybe some of you knows? it’s about the physical person income and wealth tax for ICC( 'impôt cantonal et communal):, as I have C permit and have to declare it, I generally receive some provisonal invoice called acompte. I have 2 questions to avoid paying any interest to the tax authority

1. For 2023, I have paid all the acompte invoices in time, if my final/definitive tax amount is higher than the acompte(I think it’s the case), will they charge me interest on the delta/difference? when is the deadline for me to pay more to avoid interest?

2. For 2022, I moved to Geneva from another canton so didn’t receive the acompte,I have submitted my tax declaration mid year and it’s being treated now as they asked for additional info. Is that true that if I pay enough amount for acompte before they finalize my tax declration, they will not charge me any interest? as we are already in 2023. If NOT, is the interest charged on a daily or monthly basis? It’s just to know how much and the deadline for me to pay to avoid any interest incurred.

Apparently in Geneva, the taux d’intérêts compensatoire negatif is as high as the taux d’intérêt moratoire. So if you don’t want to pay interest, you have to pay everything before the 31.03.N+1. It is now at 3%

1 Like

@REandStock is correct and the info is all in Geneva AFC page (translate works quite well)

For ICC, yes but only from 31 March 2024 onwards. You can check if your payments on account (accomptes) were enough by completing the GETax software with approximate data.

For 2023 ICC it is 31 March 2024

No. It depends when you made the payment on account (accompte) - see examples in link above.

For example if you paid zero until 30 June I believe you would pay interest from 31 March 2023 to June 30. If you overpaid on 30 June, you would receive interest from June 30 until the date of receiving the final bill - but at a lower rate

1 Like

In Vaud at least, you can be liable to pay interest if:

1. You didn’t pay all of your acompte invoices in time each month
  2. The total amount of acomptes was lower than the final amount due (they don’t want people to under-estimate their income when computing the acomptes).

There are situations however where this is untenable, for example if a lot of your income arrives at once towards the end of the year.
In that case, you should pay the corresponding taxes as acomptes as income comes in.
They may still ask you to pay interest, but you can then respond with a letter explaining the situation to (hopefully) get it waived.

1 Like

The total amount of acomptes was lower than the final amount due (they don’t want people to under-estimate their income when computing the acomptes).

In Vaud it is different as you will only pay 0.125% in this case (and only since 01.04.N+1), unless you asked them to lower the initial acomptes bills, then it would be 4%

Imagine you’d pay just ahead of 31.12. in N… wouldn’t that sneakily lower your wealth taxes… perish the thought.

1 Like

Question on this 31 March 2024 deadline you mention:

As I understand:

• You must file your tax return by 31 March 2024
  • They will then take some time to check it (assume 1 month so until 30 April)
  • They will then send you a bill for any extra owed, usually with another month to pay it (so 31 May)

In this scenario will any interest be owed if you paid by 31 May?

If your accomptes were too low, yes you will pay some interest from 31 March to 31 May 2024.

You have the option to increase your accomptes or make a one off payment on 31 March based on the tax bill calculated by Getax software.

If you pay interest in 2024 it can be deducted from your 2024 taxable income. Any tax owed on 31.12 could also be deducted from your wealth as a debt

3 Likes

thanks, I have only learnt it now, already submitted the 2022 tax declaration, is it too late to ask the tax authority to deduct this?

Did you calculate the impact in Getax software and if it is worth it?

I am not sure about the rules. I believe there is a time window after you submit when you can still resubmit using Getax software. Otherwise you could ask them via their “edmarches” portal

1 Like