How do you split common costs with your spouse?

Diring unpaid maternity leave, in our case I paid her half my salary (+ pensionskassenbeitrag - taxes due) and we continued to split costs 50:50 as we always have.

There’s also the concept “Betreuungsunterhalt”
Kümmert sich Partner um Haushalt + Kinder empfiehlt Budgetberatung Entschädigung von Fr 20-30 /h.
So you are like paying her a salary, but how many hours, it’s kind of a 24h job :grimacing:
This is one of the options from the book " Partner ohne Trauschein" which gives various ways to do it fairly.

1 Like

I am planning to lower her contribution when she will be on maternity leave as her salary will be reduced to 80% and increase the disparity in my favour.
We are thinking to take 2 months of unpaid parental leave until the child keepers can start.
The one having no salary will not contribute and could be expense with the cost of half private day care (90 chf / day).

1 Like

We have a common savings account for holidays and a common regular account for daily expenses.

To make things easier, we split everything 50:50, but since I have a higher salary, my monthly contribution to the savings account is higher.

I am confused by the sentence above. What I am mainly interested is “how higher” someone’s contributions are/should be, depending on how much greater his/her income is.

I don’t understand one thing. If you are married with the usual financial arrangements - wealth is not segregated - then all your money belong to both of you anyway. What’s the point of arrangements you are talking about? Mental accounting bias?

If you are not married or have separated wealth, then yes, there is something to discuss and think about.

He signed for separation of wealth detail in the other thread..

To calculate your spouse contribution you could do : spouse1 net salary / (spouse1 net salary + spouse2 net salary ).

I do not include bonuses as well as we aim to simplify the process and limit money talk.

2 Likes

Ok, I didn’t write that very clearly, you’re right.

We look at the total household income. Say that I bring 60% of that and she 40%. We chose to not consider bonuses.

That’s our distribution key.

Then we have our own weird arrangement on where to put the money.

Obviously the question is for people in Gutertrennung or not married.

Same here. A common account makes things so much easier.

It’s not 100% accurate. According to the following link, each partner still has their own assets (Errungenschaft), it’s just that at the time of a divorce, each partner assets are split with the other partner.

https://www.mynot.ch/errungenschaftsbeteiligung.html

Sure, thanks for correcting. But income of both spouses, which is discussed here, belongs to both of them together.

Income after marriage, that is.

As mentioned above (see the above link), I don’t think that’s how it is.

See also the following link: Die neun Geld-Irrtümer in einer Ehe | Handelszeitung

“Das Einkommen gehört demjenigen, der es erwirtschaftet hat. … Natürlich ist derjenige, der Einkommen erwirtschaftet, gegenüber der Familie zum Unterhalt verpflichtet.”

Or the following: https://www.beobachter.ch/familie/heirat-ehe/ist-sein-geld-auch-meins-16056

“Jedes Einkommen Ihres Mannes gilt güterrechtlich als seine Errungenschaft.”

We are married, so in our case we just have a joint account which we both use. It always worked that way for us, no matter if we were earning similar amounts or when my wife was unemployed, maybe because she doesn’t care at all about finances (not that she is a crazy spender or something, she just doesn’t like the topic/accounting/etc.) and trusts me on everything. The only problem is if she wants to buy me a gift - the only way that I don’t know about it is to pay with cash :slight_smile:.

For bigger spending we just talk to each other before, but by bigger I mean really big, like house or car :rofl:.

I think as to literally combine finances in a joint account comes back to the same situation whether to sign a marriage contract:
As long as everything is fine between the two people, there is absolutely no issue with such a account/combined finances, nor not having a contract.

We just prefer to have everything determined in case some things change in life. That‘s why we split our finances and signed a contract.
If these precautions end up not being needed, all the better. I wont lose sleep over the 200 CHF bill from the notary. :slight_smile:

In the case where the prearrangements are needed, we will have a lot less discussions than the majority of couples.

On top of it, we are two independent humans, that aren‘t relying on the other financially, which we both like. :+1:

4 Likes

We do exactly the same and have exactly the same situation!

One element of inequality we missed for years was the different tax tarif:

The person with the higher salary gets the lower tax tarif for married or single parents.

To adjust for that, we run her tax calculations on both tarifs and I pay her 50% of the delta between the tarifs.

You can run them here for ZH: Steuerrechner | Kanton Zürich

1 Like

IMO the main driver of this question is who wants/has the higher lifestyle costs?

And who is taking care of the kids?

Same lifestyle + 50:50 child support = contrubutions should be 50/50

Only if one parent takes care more of the kids or the high earner wants a higher lifestyle that should be compensated.

Taking care of the kids = 50% of salary the other parent earns that day (after taxes)

Higher lifestyle = delta from lower lifestyle of other parent.

1 Like

in my case it is the lower earner who wants a higher lifestyle (higher relative to my bar, much lower than the average Swiss resident).

Ok so in that case I would only accept a lifestyle she can afford too and so splitting everything 50/50 + compensating the surplus days she takes care of the kids like I wrote above.

For stupid luxury stuff (expensive cars, holidays, etc.) I would even argue that only the person who wants it, should cover everything above the price of the reasonable option).

Doing so you keep some fairness while sharing your salary upside when she stays at home but you limit spendings you dont want and she cannot afford.

Only my opinion though…

1 Like

My wife and I don’t have kids yet, and for now just contribute 50:50 to our joint account, from which we pay rent, food, etc. I earn significantly more then her, but we agreed that just because we are now married, this should not change our financial situation.

As she is pregnant, we’ll soon change to a setup where we’ll contribute proportionally to our joint account by % of total household income, as others have mentioned in this thread. I don’t know yet how we’ll cover her extended maternity leave, but half my salary for this time seems to be fair (which coincidentally works out to be about 80% of her salary, which is the same as maternity Taggeld).

1 Like