I would like to share my strategies for dealing with food waste reduction. I am obsessed with wasting as little food as possible. Food production has a big toll on the environment, and hey, I am paying for it, so I’d rather not throw it away. I can be a bit extreme, so I am starting with the easy stuff, hope you find some ideas here that work for you and feel free to share your tips ! Special shout out to @Julianek and @rolandinho
How I reduced my (food) waste :
Make an audit : for a defined period of time, a week or one month for example, mark down every single piece of food you throw to the bin or compost. If you can estimate it, write the value in CHF.
Analyze what you are regularly wasting and group the waste in families. Here are a few typical examples:
- Last ½ cup of cooked rice or pasta
- Stale bread
- Soggy vegetables at the back of the fridge
- Meat bought as a “value-pack” 3 for 2 (not so great value if you throw it away!)
- Identify the 2 or 3 waste families which are the most recurrent or represent the most money thrown away and find an action plan for them. For the examples above :
- Weigh your pasta/rice before cooking so you have exactly the right quantity
- Stale bread : make crackers for a dip or croutons for a salad or soup before it’s completely dry
- Make soup once a week with the veggies lurking in the back of the fridge
- If you buy meat in a value pack, freeze what you are not going to eat within the expiry date.
- Some other ideas:
- Don’t go food shopping when you are hungry
- Make a meal plan but leave at least one day unplanned per week
- Your freezer is your friend ! A LOT of food can be frozen before it goes bad
- Think of your leftovers as the start of your next meal -> this is where I really have fun, so give me a shout if you need inspiration. Techniques like pickles, preserves and fermentation can be used to help save your food from the compost pile.
After writing this, I realize it applies to all areas of waste : general waste as in your bin or trashcan, waste of money, waste of time etc…
What about you? Do you have special tips to avoid food waste ?