How Artificial Intelligence Can Boost Your Productivity at Work

Are you tired of spending hours on mundane tasks like writing emails or formatting documents? Do you wish you had more time for creative work and strategic thinking? If so, you might want to consider using artificial intelligence (AI) tools to streamline your workflow and free up your time.

I have been using Chat GPT, a large language model trained by OpenAI, for several months now, and I can say that it has been a game-changer for me. Chat GPT has helped me with a variety of tasks, from writing and formatting documents to proofreading my writing and translating text. With the new feature to read the web in real-time, I believe there is huge potential to use Chat GPT for summarizing articles, PDFs, and other texts for quicker research.

One of the most significant benefits of using AI tools like Chat GPT is that they can help you save time and reduce errors. For example, instead of spending an hour writing a report or an email, you can use Chat GPT to generate a draft that you can refine and edit later. This not only saves you time but also ensures that your writing is grammatically correct and free of typos.

Another advantage of using AI tools is that they can help you improve the quality of your work. Chat GPT, for instance, can suggest synonyms and alternative phrases that can make your writing more engaging and persuasive. It can also detect and correct errors in grammar, spelling, and punctuation, which can make a big difference in how your work is perceived by others.

Finally, using AI tools can also help you tap into your creativity and generate new ideas. For example, I have started using Chat GPT to write a book, and I am impressed with the quality of the text it produces. By collaborating with an AI tool, I can quickly generate new ideas and explore different writing styles, which helps me to be more productive and creative.

In conclusion, artificial intelligence can be a powerful tool to boost your productivity and enhance your work quality. Whether you’re writing documents, translating text, or summarizing articles, using AI tools like Chat GPT can help you save time, reduce errors, and tap into your creativity. So why not give it a try and see how it can transform your work?

This is more of a linkedin post than a mustachian post material. :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Sounds like an advertisement. Any specific tools/workflow that you can suggest?

Sounds like it was written by ChatGPT.

15 Likes

It was, and its amazing. I had a version that was more comic, and you could also ask him to do a more critical one. Still its not the point of the topic.

I am honestly blown away about the option and time saving this tool gives me, it has helped me a lot over the past month.

I should try it one day, I was asking myself of it could help to summarise some legal rules in order to help me to study my bar exam. I’ll give you some feedback if I use it for this purpose :grimacing: (not sure that Chat GPT is enough train for swiss legal issue).

honestly go for it, i am amazed at the ability. You need however a bit of time to assign him the tasks in the correct way. I have been using him to summarize some Veisungen des Bundes or some other legal documents. The nice part is you can tell him to “Dumb it down”, or like “explain the concept in a simple way” etc.

You can also use him to just correct the orthography.

From the current hype, it seems these tools are doing something productive for some people. I’m happy for you. For myself, I’ve been kind of dissapointed so far, maybe because I’ve been using computers since the 80s, and some of these technologies were already hyped up back then. Sure, the current solutions are a big upgrade over the completely useless bots of the past. But I haven’t yet found a way to use ChatGPT & company in a way which really adds value to my life or work (e.g. does something that I could not do myself).

For example, based on the hype, I would have assumed that one of these bots could generate an original design for a 100%-sustainable modern house or a 3-D printable machine, or program an app based on my clear specifications. There is plenty of data available for those things. If I need a text written, or want to find basic information, I can do that myself.

But we’ll see how they develop. There has definitely been improvement, but it’s been a slow process.

The point is not to make it instead of you or better than you, but to help you to do it faster. Like any tool, it has own limitations, and I would never produce content that I can’t verify and can’t produce myself.

I understand that. To me, the logic of using AI would be to provide services which are not available to most people because gloabl demand far surpasses global supply (i.e. available experts). Examples would be healthcare, architecture, engineering, programming, R&D, chemistry, etc. for which there are accute shortages in many parts of the world. Of course productivity tools will help boost productivity in those areas as well, but presently these AI programs are still less useful than say, CAD programs, in that regard. But I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

I imagine it can be a great help for folks with dyslexia.

2 Likes

i have rewritten my CV with the help of Chat GPT, on top of that its so easy to “generate” cover letters or to translate the whole CV from German to English its mad.

For simple translations, I would recommend a combination of Deepl and Deepl Write (for German or English). I’ve tested ChatGPT for translations, but the results were very inconsistent. But I do see translation as a useful application for computers. I like to envision a world in which people will be able to access all available information and education without having to learn a foreign language.

1 Like

I use it sometimes on this forum:

When I discover a new topic with hundreds of answers, I just copy paste the whole page into the Chatgpt input asking it to summarize arguments, works like a charm.

7 Likes

I like it all.

I recently asked for the title and author of a book we had to read in school 20 years back. I provided 2 sentences of a vague plot line, and ChatGPT nailed it. like reverse song search^^

I also had it summarize a book I just read, and it was flawless.

But I also had it return explicitly wrong answers, with some spicy lines added to it:

"It is possible that there is a mistake in the information your found on Wikipedia about [my question]. It is important to note that Wikipedia is a collaborative online encyclopedia that is written and edited by volunteers, and while it can be a useful source of information, it may not always be accurate or up-to-date. It is always a good idea to verify Information from multiple sources before relying on it.

I can confirm that [wrong answer], as I have access to reliable sources of information about [my question]."

OK, so its overconfidence is our only hope to win with this Skynet :rofl:

1 Like

Ok, so I will try to summarize (myself)

• ChatGPT free version is accessible to everyone. The stand of knowledge is around September 2021 (?), limited knowledge of events afterwards. As a personal information, only phone number is needed. Therefore relatively private, low possibility of connecting gathered personal information with another information about you (profiling). Depends on your level of paranoia though, I wouldn’t discuss my private and financial affairs with ChatGPT.
  • ChatGPT Plus: paid, newer version, updated database (?), still no possibly to search internet. It is probably coming.
  • ChatGPT with Edge and Bing: newer version, free (except that you have to have Windows OS). Should be able to gather information from the internet on the fly, but I haven’t been able to make it work. Windows account needed, bye bye privacy.
  • Google Bard works with Google account, so you give even more information about yourself to Google. Is not available for us yet.

To put things a bit in context, this story from 1995 is about AI and crypto.

1 Like

Slightly derailing the conversation to offer some words of caution if, like me, you work in an IT field where your workday involves programming, I’d be careful about anything generated through AI assistance.

Not in any way from an ethical, legal, or efficiency point of view, but purely from a security point of view.

As was recently published by a Stanford-lead research group, a relatively small-scale study (n=47) concluded that participants relying on AI assistance for critical aspects of their work ended up producing less secure results than their control group, while at the same time self-rating more often their results as secure compared to the control group.

While they still found merits in using AI assistance with properly constructed queries, it still highlighted a trend of undeservedly blindly trusting the security and accuracy of the AI assistance responses.

While this study focused on the narrow field of programming code security with AI assistance, I do not doubt that similar studies will occur in more general scenarios with similar outcomes. That is, a trend of placing an undeserved level of trust in the responses related to fields where the operator does not have the required background to immediately, at a glance, validate the output of an authoritative AI model that, as of the current generations, has difficulty properly transmitting its level of trust on its output.

While this should not deter from making use of AI assistance for work-related purposes, its accuracy and response quality should properly be analyzed before using its output.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that story. Took me right back to my early teenage years.

1 Like