The Federal Statistical Office has just published the results of the household budget survey 2020.
Why am I posting this?
We are all interested to see how other people earn and spend their money. The numbers can’t get more representative than this. So, the average Swiss household of 2.12 persons earned CHF 9,800 and spent CHF 8,100 per month in 2020.
Some interesting insight into changing spending patterns of Swiss households throughout the Covid-19 pandemic.
Tracking and sharing our expenses on this forum, we might look into the categories of the official statistics for ease of comparison. Here they are:
- Mandatory transfer expenses
- Social security contributions
- Health insurance funds: Premiums for basic insurance
- Other insurance, fees and transfers
- Health insurance funds: Premiums for supplementary insurance
- Other insurance premiums
- Donations, gifts and invitations
- Consumer spending
- Food and non-alcoholic beverages
- Alcoholic beverages and tobacco products
- Hospitality and lodging (aka restaurants and holidays)
- Clothing and footwear
- Housing and energy
- Furnishings and current housekeeping
- Health care spending
- Entertainment, recreation and culture
- Other goods and services