Home Insurance from Ikea

Has anyone tried the insurance from IKEA?

1 Like

I checked it but then crossed out. Don’t remember why.

1 Like

Do you know if we have a set date to switch Home insurance if we find a better deal ?

1 Like

Yes. It’s the end of the contract with the current insurance. Usually possible after a full year. So check your contract for the cancellation term (I think 3 months is typical) and cancel your current insurance in time. You should get a written confirmation of the cancellation, if not, demand it.

For a mustachian, is there actually any business case to have household insurance ?

Private liability is a non brainer for me, but looking at my household, I could exchange it several times over with my savings, not even considering going via second hand.


If you are a homeowner it definitely makes sense for peace of mind in case of water damage for example. As you might have seen the yearly costs are negligible.

1 Like

Well if you have a fire and lose everything, replacing everything will cost you more than paying 200 years the insurance.

1 Like

I wanted to post that you coud avoid that insurance if you have cardboard furniture and found this link:

cool :slight_smile:

Cortana refers to the fact that the minimum amount insured is 20000 chf. You can have less than that in furniture and stuff, but don’tn forget to calculate the “and stuff” part…Clothes, electronics etc…


It’s important to differentiate between household insurance and buildings insurance. If you are a homeowner, insurance companies will often bundle these two.

Basic buildings insurance for fire, etc. is mandatory in most cantons. Extra buildings insurance can be beneficial.

Household insurance is only worth getting, in my opinion, if you own a lot of valuable stuff (expensive furniture, etc.) and can prove its value (with receipts, etc.). In my case, I buy a lot of stuff second-hand, so the grand total resale value of the stuff in my home is maybe a few thousand francs in the best case. I don’t see the point in paying a few hundred francs a year to insure that.

If you have one or two specific pieces of property which are very valuable (e.g. a watch or jewelry) then getting valuables insurance for just those items works out cheaper and can give you better insurance than the one-for-all household insurance as well.

1 Like

Isn’t a fire insured through the mandatory cantonal insurance of the home owner ?

Personnaly it does not, especially because I go a lot for second hand…

I guess as a homeowner it makes sense, though I would check the fine print not to have overinsurance with the mandatory one.

EDIT: @Daniel was quicker and we come to the same conclusion. Sorry for the double

Afaik this covers only the damage to the building, not of your household.

Fire insurance isn’t mandatory in all Cantons (kof, Valais/Wallis, kof). Furthermore, my understanding, like Cortana, is that it covers only the building and your homeowner’s things, not your own stuff if you are a renter.

I personally don’t see the need to cover my stuff since the damage, to me, would be mainly organisational (loss of documents, changing registered devices to access accounts and this kind of stuff) rather than financial, but I’m not buying anything expensive or fancy so that may be just me.

I’d always insure against personal liability.

I think it is interesting to ask the question if household insurance is necessary. Actually for me it is just normal to have one, Ill need to think about it.

Altought I had already stolen 2 Bikes at the train station and 2 notebooks.

When you are loosing everything in a fire you might not be able to replace all low-cost second hand because time matters. Sou you might not be able to re-buy low cost everything

That is correct. Buildings insurance covers the building. Built-in bathrooms and kitchens are generally covered. Certain home appliances may be covered depending on the insurance (if you have cantonal buildings insurance, then it depends on which canton you live in). So whether or not you need household insurance on top depends on the value of your additional (movable) personal property.

In Vaud, the mandatory fire and natural disasters insurance from ECA covers also household items. Here are the details in English.

Go to a local second hand shop and see for yourself. You might not be able to find everything and to your taste, but you will find most of the stuff needed (bed, couch, table, basic electronics and kitchen supplies etc,) from where to build over time, and resell if you want to upgrade.

It just amazes me how much people have and give away.


Without opening another topic does the “driving third party vehicles” section also cover a short term rent ( example during holidays ) avoiding to do a specific kasko?

In general no.
Rental cars != 3rd party vehicles

1 Like