I have a problem. I got into a fight with my wife and suddenly she said she wants to have a separate bank account in case I get mad and decide to close our bank account without her permission. We reconciled and everything seems fine but the questions still remains: How do we manage our finances in future, just to be on the safe side if someone wants to abandon the relationship.
We currently have one bank account at PostFinance that is opened with my name. My wife is authorized to pay in and out but theoretically I could still take all the money and run away. Apart from that my wife’s salary is going straight onto this account as well and someone from PostFinance told me today that this is illegal in Switzerland.
OK, so here are my questions.
- Is it really illegal to have both salaries go to the same bank account?
- Do you people have 2 accounts and pay for both? One for your spouse and one for you?
- Who pays for which expenses?
- Do you pay 50/50 for everything or do you pay more if you earn more?
- Do you have a third account from which you pay your bills?
I just want to avoid the hassle to record every single expense we make, calculate 40% for my wife and 60% for me (like some web sites suggest) and then pay our bills. I mean it seems like you’d have to spend a lot of time for calculating everything up to the last rappen.