Gifts for spouse

How much do you guys spend on birthday gifts for your spouse?

1 Like

Depends, usually around 100 CHF but also around that for christmas.

Varies a lot. We usually talk about what we would like to get or would make us happy and then try to match each other so that it’s fair (from a CHF prespective).

From 50 to 100 most of the times (+similar amount for Christmas)

What’s your spouse worth to you?

Hold on a sec, I’d have to calculate the cleaning lady & babysitting costs (don’t forget AHV & insurance, can use the info from that other thread about childcare costs) & I’ll get back to you.

topic on point… I’m about to spend 4.5k on a gift for her birthday… :scream:

she’s fan of luxury bag (had already a bunch, “for investment” she said but she’ll never short them I know…), is expecting it for her 40th birthday, + birth gift + thanks for the awesome job of birthing+breathfeeding two kids while still working 100% and supporting my presence. It will make a big dent in my NW, but I hope it will be worth it…

11 Likes

Instead of a bunch of flowers or hand bag or vacuum cleaner or whatever, invite her to a romantic week end together.
You’ll both enjoy it.
If it is too expensive, go for a romantic evening (restaurant when they will open again), or even theatre or opera !

5 Likes

This is old but I would love to hear from more people!

I spend ~500+ on my husband on his birthday. He tends to spend slightly more. For Christmas we just buy something we wanted or a holiday (from holiday budget).

I really hate getting expensive gifts from other people and in fact I prefer to not get any gifts at all. It just feels “wasted” for me because I can buy everything that I want at any give time and for me I think that if they would have kept the money they could have done something else for themselves.

On the other hand I really like to gift others. “Normal” gifts are between 100-300 but there are other exceptional gifts like a five year anniversary with my girlfriend without a clear limit.

I would note that my girlfriend and I are not materialistc at all so we don’t expect anything luxurious like others in this thread. It’s hard to describe but we are more than satisfied with normal (higher) middle class gifts eventhough we could afford luxurious items or travels.

7 Likes

It’s somehow similar to the child education topic. I try to provide experiences rather than materialistic gifts. In our busy life I think that time is more valuable. It has worked better with my kids than with my wife :rofl: However, what I will do now is take my wife to a weekend trip to Portugal (which I can combine with a business trip so no extra spending for me) as a gift for her for being an awesome person.

I really try to get away from the materialistic part. For my kids I let them eat something special at a restaurant or “reward” them with a special trip to alpamare etc. with me.

1 Like

For adults yes, I focus on experiences and things that are nicer than average but which we would have bought anyways, like ON shoes or new headphones.

2 Likes

Experiences is really the best gift! Amazing if you can combine it with a business trip!