Flat rental contract with minimum duration

Hi :wave:.

I find the following rental agreement a bit confusing, as I don’t speak French and automatic translations also confuse me. I thought maybe someone here could help me.

Is the following assumption correct:

• The contract is open-ended with a minimum term of one year
  • After one year I can terminate the contract per March, June or September

Is this correct or could the administration terminate my contract after one year?

I have never seen a rental agreement with a minimum duration.

Best,
Markus

My french is a bit rusty, however a minimum duration of 1 year is pretty standard and nothing to be worried about. I’m not good on tenants laws either but I guess if you want to move out and find a suitable person that would take over your rental contract to the same condition you should be able to get out of the contract even under 1 year.

I’m not sure if the 1 year minimum duration would stand before a judge. From the landlord site, you do not have to worry either there is no benefit for him to kick you out after 1 year.

1 Like

This is a standard lease contract, i.e. a mix between a fixed-term contract, from August 1, 2024 to September 30, 2025, and an open-ended contract that is tacitly renewed from year to year, i.e. from October 1, 2025 to August 30, 2026, then from October 1, 2026 to August 30, 2027, and so on.

As for cancellation, if you don’t want to stay for more than one year, you must send a registered letter canceling your stay by September 30, 2025, before June 30, 2025. If you fail to do so, you can terminate your lease for the next legal term, i.e. 3 months before March 31 or June 30 or September 30, 20XX.

I hope that’s clear enough :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is correct, except that they have the same right to terminate the contract than you. So, they can terminate the contract as well after exactly one year, provinding they tell you 3 months before.

As an owner, all the contracts I make have a minimum duration.

Yes, if you find a suitable new tenant that accepts to take the contract at the same conditions, you can move out before the first year.

The one year minimum duration is totally legal and pretty common and cannot be challenged successfully in a court.

2 Likes