FIRE is easy - FIREstarters blog

Not yet another finance blog - those might be the first thoughts which came to your mind while reading the subject, and I can feel you on this one! I wanted to start a blog for a long time already, but never did due to my perfectionism while also thinking “does the world really need the umpteenth blog for finances?”. But anyway, here we are.

It’s not perfect (even though I already spend a good amount of time to create it), but that’s ok. You have to start somewhere. I’ll definitely not only focus on finance topics going forward.

You can find the blog here: https://fireiseasy.com/

Any feedback is welcomed. Happy reading!

10 Likes

Congrats, looking forward to it!

What I feel is sometimes a little neglected in the FIRE debate: Income is more important than investing and saving. You can save some bucks by not buying that coffee-to-go every day, but you could afford 10 coffees a day if you just started looking for higher income.

Look at all the financial bloggers: They didn’t become rich by investing in VT and thinking of optimizing 0.001% of costs, but by monetizing their internet content, books etc. In that sense, you’re definitely on the right path (no offense, btw, I think internet content is definitely deserved to be paid for) :smile:

6 Likes

Thank you for the encouraging words!

Yes, I feel exactly the same way. Of course it’s important to have an overview about your expenses, and one coffee-to-go per day adds up to a good chunk of money over longer periods of time (10+ years), but that’s mainly because of the power of compound interest. Someone recently shared an article about how you are better off when you save immediately for 10 years and then stop saving, compared to someone who only starts after 10 years and then continues for 20+ years. So yes, I get that, but still people often forget to also look at the income side itself.

I think if people would be as creative about how to creat possibilities for a higher income compared to saving on TERs, we would have an amazing economy. I know from myself that it can be really hard to come up with ideas, but you should still try. To speak from my own experience: if you had told me 5 or 10 years ago how much I am earning now, I would have looked at you like you’re from outer space.

Ideas for those topics are already in my brainstorming bucket. I “just” need to find the right words to put on paper. Btw: a blog is a great opportunity to think deeper about a topic and also to explain your own thoughts to someone else. It’s a process, which is not straightforward, but it definitely helps to look at your own biases.

2 Likes

Growing income is nice, but a key point is that if you have a sustainable lifestyle with a high saving rate, you’re kinda guaranteed to hit FIRE reliably (regardless of income).

And that’s not obvious to everyone (growing income, or making risky bets to try to compound faster could have a lot more uncertain outcomes).

5 Likes

I love this statement, SO true, please include in your blog :clap:

Especially true for Switzerland where I think entrepreneurship isn’t too present…

I agree, and having lower income, but more a more fulfilling job, is definitely worth it.

4 Likes

Mustachianpost.com is heavily monetised - and I‘m not aware of the author disclosing his identity or contact details anywhere (quite the contrary, he‘s gone to great lengths to hide it).

2 Likes

His name is in the title of the webpage and on the cover of his book, unless that’s an alias. There is also an ‘About the author’ section on https://www.mustachianpost.com/free-by-40-in-switzerland-buy-the-book/

2 Likes

Oh really? It is quite an open secret if one can call it a secret at all.

Absolutely, and he’s making massive profits off it. Same goes for “Sparkojote”. I’m happy for them, but it’s really not the “sparen” or saving which brought them FIRE :joy:

To be fair, both seem to be quite transparent about disclosing their venture’s profits.

1 Like

I just feel that FIRE bloggers should be more vocal about the fact that they are actually achieving FIRE not by saving their asses off or by buying fairly ordinary ETFs, but by being entrepreneurs.

2 Likes

I feel you! I created a website 3 weeks ago and since then I’m working on the first, “perfect” post to get it going…
As Voltaire said:

Perfect is the enemy of good

1 Like

It‘s been often mentioned in his press interviews that it is indeed an alias.

3 Likes

Marc Pittet is just a pseudonym.

Do you know something the rest of us doesn’t?

Yes, roughly. Even though most of those are still only ideas at the moment. One big area will be about business (starting your own business, taxes, administrative stuff etc.) Another area will be business ideas (e.g. the boring business idea which came up earlier in this forum, how to find the right ideas). Funnily enough people in this thread also mentioned one topic: about how FIRE bloggers are monetizing their blog. I mean how they are making money, like the things you already mentioned about “click Zak here”, “Swissquote there”, plus other ways.

That’s one of the reasons which held me back for a really long time. I mean the full disclosure and the potential fines. I researched this topic a little bit (or a little more already), and there are options to avoid it. Still, you might have to set up an entity in a different country. But that’s also just another idea of mine.

Most probably not so much. I guess setting up the blog is also a guinea pig situation for me, to see what you need to do / how much time to invest etc. I think if you provide unique content, not just repeat the same “how to save 0.01 with your TER”, you’ll attract people. But of course: it’s not just about the content itself (if a tree falls in the forest and no one is around…), but also a bit about marketing and networking.

But anyway, I’m already going too far here.

There’s an interesting concept I heard about a while ago: the FSD (first shitty draft). I also tried to make the first two posts perfect: thinking about every word, readjusting, deleting etc. And you know what: they are not perfect, but it’s OK. You got this :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

No. Just didn’t think it could be a case.

No direct feedback, but site/posts have nice vibe, looking fwd to some inspirational posts. :blush: :vulcan_salute:
dif-tor heh smusma” - Vulcan blessing

1 Like

You should be able to comment, if you want. Unless I need to change some settings (worked when I tried from my laptop in incognito mode, but didn’t check from a different laptop yet)

Get in touch with Sparkojote, I’m pretty sure this guy even knows how to monetize his farts :joy:

Just beware, there are already too many product placement, “click this, click that” blogs around. It’s nothing but tiring. Also, you risk becoming a hypocrite by e.g. advertising Swissquote instead of IB, like so called Sparkojote does. I’m sure you’re saving a lot more with IB, so not that much “Spar” there.

You have to acknowledge without envy that Sparkojote knows how to monetize his blog. And that’s fine - different people have different approaches when it comes to earning money. Plus, it’s clever as well. I’m also not a fan of affiliates, but some people are making a hell lot of money by using them.

On a side note: I’m not only looking at the Swiss market. I find it really interesting how some people are making from their internet presence (Blog, youtube channels, Instagram). It’s also interesting to look at other markets as well (US, EU - haven’t looked into other markets yet, but I just got another idea for a post :slightly_smiling_face:)

1 Like

Well, you know my business idea already: JDCOIN :joy:

Just a note from an “experienced” blogger from both sides (reader and writer). After a while you have no idea what to write. You can see the same thing on many blogs. You’ll reach a point where you know 99% of the things that need to be known and wrote about it. You will then start interviewing or rewriting posts that can be rewritten ( “an update on …” ) and you’ll grow bored. If your audience is big enough, the traffic will keep going on. If you have a forum with good traffic, you are lucky because google will reward you handsomely (SEO-wise).

3 Likes