FatFIRE in Switzerland?

The US are the Matrix lol

I don’t really like the tone of this thread. It’s more how to get rich quickly than FIRE.
You should take into account that getting a job at Google is hard. Mr Rip has a PhD. He did a lot of studies before working at Google.

Also, a lot of people with big salaries hate their job.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/what-do-you-do-when-you-hate-your-job-2010-10

Ok, let’s take a salary of 300k after takes and social deduction. You still need 15 years to retire (4 millions at the end)
https://networthify.com/calculator/earlyretirement?income=300000&initialBalance=0&expenses=150000&annualPct=7&withdrawalRate=4

5 Likes

Lol, it definitely doesn’t take a PhD to get hired at Google today, you have a very dated perception of them. Some 15-20 years ago maybe. Today you just need to drill their algorithmic puzzles and there are resources all over the web for that, just get your stuff together and make up time for that. PhD’s probably required to get into hedge funds quant jobs paying high 6 to 7 figures (in US!), and even then not every PhD counts and not the only credential you’ll need to get the job. But for FAANG it’s overkill and just huge opportunity cost.

Even more people with smaller salaries do. The girl made it! I’d hate having to stick around to corporate bullshit with her NW too. I’m not a power junkie psychopath of CxO sorts, all I want is $5M and all the time I can get to do whatever I want and raise kids. With this much money, time is the real wealth I think.

Not bad - if I’d start in 20s I’d make it by mid 30s - early 40s! Still than better than in Zurich 'cause who’s paying 300k here? Besides the sole outlier of Google? But even Google is seemingly not enough here c.f. MrRIP example.

Good Luck Mate. I wish you the best of luck to make your dreams come true. But your 5 kids MIGHT reach adulthood (and probably live separately for studying, etc.) by the time you make your 5 million and have time to raise them!

5 Likes

That’s exactly why I ain’t got no time to go for $5M @ 50 like some other poster suggested

Late 30s / early 40s would be ideal. Possible in the US. Not possible here it seems…

you don’t seem to get it. your kids will need no raising by the time you make 5 Million. Be it here or US!

So go for 5 Million ASAP (even it it takes being “power junkie psychopath of CxO sorts”) or have time to raise your kids. If you want both, invent a time machine!

Hey, a more general question related to this topic:

Is there a way in the forum to suggest a new badge and a nominee? I believe the instigator of this thread at least qualifies for “Troller of the week” (maybe even for “Troller of the month”, but we shall wait until the end of June).

Thoughts?

6 Likes

Yeah, further up in the thread he has five kids to feed, but later there are only four kids. As long as you can count them all on one hand, that shouldn’t happen :wink:

8 Likes

In your mid-twenties, already with five kids (or four, at a certain level you lose count), are you by chance an orthodox Jew? :smiley:

4 Likes

I think he just doesn’t like one of the kids, so no inheritance for them! :wink:

8 Likes

@rolandinho @trotro @Your_Full_Name @Bojack let us not be rude here. when the one wants FatFIRE in CH/Canada, 5 kids (and time to raise them), 5 Million CHF/USD (and no time to earn them), and dowry (WTF!) / inheritance for them, one can easily forget a kid here or there! Though one should not need a PhD (oops!) to count their own kids.

5 Likes

FYI if you get 200k+ salaries in the US in tech, you can get the same in Zurich working for those same companies (or at least the difference will be 10% or less).

The difference isn’t as big as you think (maybe double check on e.g. levels.fyi, tho I don’t know what the non-US coverage is).

But in any case, how you can reach RE quickly is IMO mostly a function of your saving rate (+a bit of luck on market returns). If you spend a lot of money, you’ll need to earn a lot to retire early.

1 Like

Probably some. I think many of them prefer not to stand in the limelight too much and don’t publish their feats on the internet.

…yeah. Easy to, if you become a multi millionaire in your twenties.
Maybe he should have added that one point to the list.

In effect many women “retire” in their late twenties or thirties by becoming housewives in countries like Switzerland, Austria or Germany.

in Switzerland, 37% of women aged 15 and up are not working. About a third of them (though steadily declining), or about 11% of all women aged 15-64 are housewives. And that doesn’t account for all the semi-retired ones.

Might be one of the best (and maybe easiest) bets to retire early.

1 Like

Marry a Googler or get your wife into Google if you say it’s that easy. Easy peasy 500k+ household income. FatFIRRRE in 10 here we go!

Plot twist: OP is probably not even married

Do I need to RE for these? LOL don’t see why these are so “special”.
And another LOL for the font used, hurts to read. :sob:

@kilyn, instead of earning more, you can try to beat the markets and get 20+%/year instead of 6%/year - that’s surely one way to accellerate to your goals (just not sure how realistic it is).

1 Like

That font should be illlegal, especially white on colors.

Edit: I did check that site as well. The guys are really squeezing every cents from their life (and kids). I wonder how it feels to read their site. (It reminds me how lately MP started to write his articles in english and how some recipe sites I started to read lately are aggressively pushing SEO. Google should penalize that)

1 Like

Off topic 2:
This blog, interestingly, made me uncomfortable. I am not sure why. Perhaps promoting the kids that much ? Or this big picture at the top where I am not sure if they are smiling or crying :sweat_smile:?

Or perhaps I am not much into perfect families … and missionaries :slight_smile:

3 Likes

For me it’s clearly that the site is a web-shop where they try to sell you stuff. Makes a very sleazy impression on me…

1 Like

You have to believe it is possible to make it happen. Kudos to you for challenging the “standard” FIRE path which tells us to focus on saving rates.
One shall keep in mind that 5M in 20 or 30y may be worth less of today money, so you should aim higher and get there asap (I am half joking). You will need to do things differently than 99% of the population and accept risks to get the reward.

That reminds me of MJ DeMarco books, where he depicts three ways of living:
the sidewalk (you buy more than you earn and end up owing money to others).
the slowlane (you save and get rich old, you can cut the time by few decades by following FIRE ideas).
the fastlane aka “FatFIRE young” (you use entrepreneurship, which the books are about, to reach few millions in less than X years, while failing a few times first unless you’re talented and lucky).

The books suggest to pick a job that pays the bills, doesn’t take your time and energy while allowing you to work on your business idea. If you have a family it may be hard to sell them a lifestyle downgrade.

If you prefer to stay an employee, working at a tech company or quant firm in the US/CH is no doubt a good idea too if you can climb the ladder at the former or just get hired by the latter.
Check teamblind for compensation examples in US.

Tell us which path you pick and how it goes.

1 Like