FatFIRE in Switzerland?

Marry a Googler or get your wife into Google if you say it’s that easy. Easy peasy 500k+ household income. FatFIRRRE in 10 here we go!

Plot twist: OP is probably not even married

Do I need to RE for these? LOL don’t see why these are so “special”.
And another LOL for the font used, hurts to read. :sob:

@kilyn, instead of earning more, you can try to beat the markets and get 20+%/year instead of 6%/year - that’s surely one way to accellerate to your goals (just not sure how realistic it is).

1 Like

That font should be illlegal, especially white on colors.

Edit: I did check that site as well. The guys are really squeezing every cents from their life (and kids). I wonder how it feels to read their site. (It reminds me how lately MP started to write his articles in english and how some recipe sites I started to read lately are aggressively pushing SEO. Google should penalize that)

1 Like

Off topic 2:
This blog, interestingly, made me uncomfortable. I am not sure why. Perhaps promoting the kids that much ? Or this big picture at the top where I am not sure if they are smiling or crying :sweat_smile:?

Or perhaps I am not much into perfect families … and missionaries :slight_smile:

3 Likes

For me it’s clearly that the site is a web-shop where they try to sell you stuff. Makes a very sleazy impression on me…

1 Like

You have to believe it is possible to make it happen. Kudos to you for challenging the “standard” FIRE path which tells us to focus on saving rates.
One shall keep in mind that 5M in 20 or 30y may be worth less of today money, so you should aim higher and get there asap (I am half joking). You will need to do things differently than 99% of the population and accept risks to get the reward.

That reminds me of MJ DeMarco books, where he depicts three ways of living:
the sidewalk (you buy more than you earn and end up owing money to others).
the slowlane (you save and get rich old, you can cut the time by few decades by following FIRE ideas).
the fastlane aka “FatFIRE young” (you use entrepreneurship, which the books are about, to reach few millions in less than X years, while failing a few times first unless you’re talented and lucky).

The books suggest to pick a job that pays the bills, doesn’t take your time and energy while allowing you to work on your business idea. If you have a family it may be hard to sell them a lifestyle downgrade.

If you prefer to stay an employee, working at a tech company or quant firm in the US/CH is no doubt a good idea too if you can climb the ladder at the former or just get hired by the latter.
Check teamblind for compensation examples in US.

Tell us which path you pick and how it goes.

1 Like

I realize you also mentioned Seattle from where I have no experience. However, SF Bay Area CoL are horrific.

The last time I was there an Uber driver told me it’s his second job just to make rent. He was an electrical engineer. Housing is the worst, healthcare second. Even in-store prices are not that much cheaper. Groceries are more affordable but restaurants not so much. Then there’s the human cost of transport and traffic (terrible). The tech companies and their workforce are driving up the prices everywhere.

I have colleagues who have moved there from Switzerland. Some stayed, some came back. No one made bank. I’ve been in the US more times than I can count (and not just in CA). I have a family and I would never want to bring my kids up in the US. The quality of life in general is not what I want. I can’t even think about it with 5 kids and the associated stress.

For a single guy doing a 5 year stint it’s probably ok with a clear goal in mind. Being young and single is easier anywhere though.

1 Like

I do. The guy has triple digit millions now but he’s still working because he only sold a part of the company and retained control. More importantly: he loves what he does. The last part is essential to understand because it’s hard(er) to create a successful business unless you are passionate about it. He was never about FIRE, he wanted to create one of the most successful companies in his field.

He gets to travel a lot though.

2 Likes

So he still works but takes holiday like most people? Or you mean he really takes off and does not come back for 6 months?

I don’t know his exact schedule but I would say he’s involved in many more things now: investing in other companies, philantropy etc. I can’t see him taking 6 months off tbh. He’s still making a lot of money from the business and his family is set for probably generations so him working is purely a choice borne out of passion.

One Lousy MILLION. XD

Dude, earn first a lousy million yourself before arrogantly downplaying other people’s achievements like that.

I agree with your entire comment. Except this line. There are people like that, e.g. (btw. excellent podcast IMHO):

4 Likes

Really?

Except for rent and slightly higher taxes (+10% or so CA state tax, compared to Zurich ~= US federal), US is much cheaper than Zurich

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Switzerland&city1=Zurich&country2=United+States&city2=Mountain+View%2C+CA

Healthcare is shit if you’re unemployment / early retiree. No problem with any decent job.

Well, that explains it, it’s a low paid job. I’m talking more about SWE jobs at a FAANG. I can clear interview bar, no problem.

I have two already, but need ideally five. One for each kid. You know, kids are expensive and I have let’s just say additional complications that need the extra cash.

Man, your tone makes you the most antipathetic member of this forum. Try to be less haughty and self-important.

6 Likes

If you have nothing to say on the subject (FatFIRE in Switzerland), just stay out of the thread will you?

Yes I’m pretty pragmatic, ambitious, direct (unless I have a reason not to) person and don’t particularly empathize poverty (I grew up poor, etc). Maybe $1M is the end of your dreams, but it’s a poverty outcome for me.

1 Like

Oh yes, feel free to redefine words as you see fit with no regard for how the rest of the world uses them.

I don’t really understand what your deal is. Many people have presented paths to you about how fatFIRE on your terms could be achieved, however unlikely those paths are.

What more are you expecting to get out of this thread? Do you hope that someone here will let you in on their get-rich-quick scheme? Do you get off, from belittling other people’s goals and success?

4 Likes

I guess I’m just bitter that the same kind of job as what I do here is paid twice as much and more in the bay today. And there are practically no comparable opportunities here.

Unfortunately I can’t move to the US even if I want to, immigration to US is very difficult right now. I do have a plan though involving CH->UK->US that may allow me to achieve my goal in an acceptable time frame. Just was curious about alternative ideas, but don’t see anything better here. Enjoy your low middle class lifestyle with $1M goal…

Did you also include the federal income tax in your calculations?

Another thing to be careful about is how prices are listed. It’s common for US prices to be listed pre-tax. For services like eating in a restaurant you’ll end up paying 20-30% (tax+tip) on top of the list price.

I admire your goals but I gotta ask, have you actually visited California or the Bay Area?

Yes, US federal tax is roughly similar to the total swiss tax in Zurich. In California you also have state tax - that’s the major extra difference, about 10-13%. And then US also taxes capital gains, but that can be mitigated: don’t sell and don’t overstay till exit tax liability.

Numbeo data is based on user submissions and the submission form asks users to include tax and service, so they should be comparable

Yes. As a visitor, not for work. Wouldn’t want to settle there permanently but for working and making money I still think it’s one of the best place to be in. At leash for a career in tech. Switzerland is far behind.

What’s your job/role? levels.fyi (and own experience) gives something like 20% difference for senior SWE between Bay Area and Zurich at Google.

1 Like

The problem with Google here is that they’re practically the only well paying tech employer in Switzerland. Yeah technically there’s also Facebook, Apple and Citadel offices, but all are tiny remote offices, a few dozen people each at most.

In the Bay Area the choice is much larger, job hopping every few years is a valid strategy to milk the top dollar out of the system, and Google is not top paying firm today.

1 Like