ETFs in different currencies

Hi all,

I compared the growth of VUSA in 3 different currencies as seen in the screenshot

Percentage wise, it looks like the British pound ETF has done best, is the following assumption true?

Let’s neglect currency exchange fees and tax implications

1. Say at time 0 you start with 300$ and convert 100 to CHF ; 100 to Eur and 100 to pounds
  2. Then using your CHF / Eur and Pounds you buy VUSA
  3. At time 1 you sell the 3 ETFs ( end of the graph lines)

Now if I convert back the Chf / Eur / pounds to $, I expect to get the same amount of $ in each of the 3 cases ( or a very small difference; say max 1%)

Is this accurate what I described ?

Also, why are the dividends so different between the Chf and Eur ETF ? if anything I’d expect the CHF one to pay more as the 1 CHF is approx. 0.9 EUR

It has done better in GBP, because GBP (the currency itself) has risen in value against EUR and CHF.

It’s the same ETF, so it will the same performance, if you take exchange rates into account.

It’s the very same ETF (see ISIN).

If you look at the 0.23996 figure, that’s the amount of the last distribution in USD (not CHF).
The 0.7512 could be the last 12 months’ total or something, converted into EUR and/or CHF.

The displayed values are obviously not consistent.
But that’s a question you may want to ask your broker or the web site you’re getting these figures from.

1 Like

Hi @San_Francisco ,

Well spotted: the 0.75 for the EUR ETF is per year.
I hold that and I got about 0.24 us cents per share this march.

The ETF screenshots are from Post finance.

I have another question: I see the volume for VUSA on SIX is 12226, that’s per day, right?

I want to buy an SP500 ETF, I have some EUR and some CHF to invest and I am looking for something that is also more liquid. Any suggestions ?

Yes, IMO.

PS You got your screenshots from Postfinance E-Trading, which pulls all the data from Swissquote in the background, but tries to show it in a simplified way.

For analysis & comparisons such as yours, I’d recommend going directly to Swissquote website, there the volumes and annualised dividend and currency of dividend etc will be more obvious, the info itself will be more complete & better described. Also the graphs are better/give more functionality.

For SIX trades you’ll even see order book history, like volumes per trade “live” kind of.
I don’t know what trades you’re thinking of making, but IMO daily volumes of 12000 and regular trades of 1000 (that’s almost CHF 1million and 70000 worth) should be enough liquidity. :wink:

Best tax-wise would be a US domicile ETF (that’ll be in USD). If it’s VUSA it’ll be the same EUR or CHF. Stamp duty may be something to compare. If you earn CHF then CHF is better to avoid FX exchange. But you seem to have EUR already.