ETF - purchase phase - what ticker?

Hi !
I am about to buy ETFs for the first time and I have some doubts regarding the best ticker to use.
Long story short, the question is:
1)- what is the best ticker/Stock exchange to buy a specific ETF when there are multiple tickers available? (if any)
2)- is there a quick way to check the trading volumes for a specific ETF?
3)- is there any other important detail to check during the purchase phase?

Note: my broker is Interactive Brokers

More context details:

An ETF has multiple tickers and is quoted over For example I would need to buy this ETF(SWDA) in Euro and I see several options:
Stuttgart Stock Exchange EUR EUNL
Borsa Italiana EUR SWDA
Euronext Amsterdam EUR IWDA
XETRA EUR EUNL

Based on this article

…I should pay attention to:

• currency (EUR in my case) so the target tickers are those listed above.
  • liquidity ==> this info is not available in “justETF”.

Several of the tracking sites (yahoo finance, marketwatch etc) provide info about liquidity. Just checked SWDA, seems very low to me (compared to NYSE VOO, SPYD, VTI etc.).

With regards to which exchange to use, it depends on the costs. I don’t know the details about these. Again, US would be more favorable in general.

1 Like

Several of the tracking sites (yahoo finance, marketwatch etc) provide info about liquidity. Just checked SWDA, seems very low to me (compared to NYSE VOO, SPYD, VTI etc.).

With regards to which exchange to use, it depends on the costs. I don’t know the details about these. Again, US would be more favorable in general.

thanks. Actually, unless I have to configure something on my trading platform, I noticed that only the IWDA ticker is available in EUR . If I try to select SWDA it can be traded only in GBP .
Regarding the costs and the volumes, I am quite sure you are right but for an EU investor (which is going to be my situation), it is recommended to invest in ETFs domiciled in the EU.

1. The cheapest? On a high-volume ETF and with a limit order, it hardly matters.
  2. Depends on your definition of quick. Why would you? Most likely it hardly matters.
  3. Make a limit order and enter the price you’re willing to pay. Also, with IBKR, check if IBKR’s ticker symbol corresponds to the security you want to purchase.

Assuming you’re a personal investor making a long-term investment, it hardly matters.

1 Like