Emergency fund in Switzerland necessary?

If you already have a margin loan at IBKR it does not make much sense to have an emergency fund in my opinion.
By the way, I guess everyone has its own definition of emergency but buying a PC is an interesting one :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

I ran some scenarios what kind of emergencies that I could encounter.

Result: I basically don’t keep any cash lying around. I have a Selma account with around 10’000 CHF, broadly diversified that I could sell, if push came to shove, but think that if stopped my 3rd pillar and savings for around 3 months I could weather 95 % of all storms.

I have 4 credit cards that could give me around 20000 CHF immediately and I have some good friends with cash lying around. My wife also has an income and cash.

I am self-employed with a relatively stable business, as an employee of my company I don’t have many more risks than an ordinary employee. The possibility of invalidity due to burnout gives me some headache, but I guess I can keep going until I have enough money accumulated to bridge a decade until pension age.

Last year, when I had some huge back taxes to pay, I just asked for a payment in instalments and stopped buying ETFs for a while. Got back on track within 4-5 months. Interest on the instalments was 3 %, still a good margin loan compared to forgoing potentially huge gains in the stock market.

If you feel better with 10k in cash on an account, then rebuild as fast as you need to feel comfortable again. Only you know how fast that needs to be.

3 Likes

I’m a big fan of your message but this got me worried a bit: the thing with burnout is that it takes your energy away. At its most dire states, people can’t keep going until they have enough money accumulated to bridge a decade until pension age. Burnout is a message from our body that “this way of living stops here and now”, it has a way to take you down, crying, unable to perform simple tasks that you used to excel at.

You seem to have your priorities in the right spot, though, it’s great to be able to rely on friends and family, those act as support during the most dire of crises. Keep on rocking and take care. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well, I don’t plan on burning out, I do work a lot less than I used to.

I’ve taken some measures to reduce my stress. Doing more sports, spending time with friends and family. It helps. Really. A lot.

Still, work is taking its toll. Also clients are noticing that I don’t give 150 % anymore.

I wish we had a work culture that does not favor manipulative sociopaths with little need for sleep and without family or hobbies.

Edit: sorry for going off topic

13 Likes

This is proven to be wrong. Everyone needs at least 7 hours daily. Not on average, but every night, you can‘t catch up on lost sleep.

3 Likes

I heard this statement often, but don’t understand it. If I don’t sleep enough, I won’t be tired for the rest of my life. So what lasting change will there be if I sleep only 6 hours tonight?

1 Like

I suggest you the book Why we sleep to get it

7 Likes

Just one night: you won‘t be as fresh tomorrow plus you will not process all you learned today

Longterm: heart-relater diseases, alzheimer, etc.

Read: Why we sleep by Matthew Walker
It explains bith parts in depth, based on research studies

3 Likes

My problem is: since some years I naturally wake up really early in the morning (before 5 AM).

Got doc visit + exams and no issue discovered → they told me that if I don’t feel too tired during the day no need to worry…

Would the book help me finding a solution ?

As far as i remember yes, the author has a list of things to improve and explains also the Why

1 Like

That “issue” goes well with having kids. We used to sleep until 8:30 every day then we had a kid…

7 Likes

It encourages you very much to find a solution without any help of medicine. Just read the „side effects“ that are all over the book for not enough sleep over a lifetime.

And consider another doctor that understands the importance of sleep

FYI that book is somewhat controversial scientifically. Matthew Walker's "Why We Sleep" Is Riddled with Scientific and Factual Errors - Alexey Guzey

7 Likes

How much worse do you feel compared to when you were able to sleep through?
What happens if you go to sleep early, are you able to get 7 hours of sleep?

I wouldn’t worry too much about it, if you feel good and it doesn’t negatively affect your relationships, work and hobbies.

This started approx. 5 years ago (my initial idea was that it could be related to the job - I was not really satisfied with it at that moment - but it continued also during vacations… and in the meantime I also changed job and my situation is OK, so I don’t know if it could have been a trigger factor or if it’s completely unrelated…).

If I go to bed later I always wake up approx. at that time (so this is a no go) but if I go to bed earlier I wake up earlier… so I keep 11:00 (+/-) until say. 04:45 (+/-). I do not check the clock otherwise I get nervous… :slight_smile:

In all honesty I do not feel any particular difference in comparison with the previous period of my life. I also have to say that - when I was a kid - during WE I had never slept really long - 7:30 to 8:00 I was always awake…

I am still quite a bit worried about possible negative long term effects, though…

[edit] sorry for hijacking the thread ! :innocent:

OK I think I’ll have a look, I had it on my book list since some time anyway, only thing is I fear that it could just ‘depress’ me as I do not see viable solutions to solve the issue ! :wink:

Thanks for that. While I have no doubt that healthy sleeping habits are paramount to our wellbeing, health and energy level, I’m feeling rather good with 6h of sleep (reminds me of Schwarzenegger’s sleep faster (short youtube video)).

More broadly, I’d say that each part of a good life hygiene counts (healthy restful sleep, good eating habits, exercising, practicing mindfulness and others). The right parameters can vary from an individual to another (just as I feel more comfortable in colder weather and sleeping a bit less than other people I know who thrive on warmer weather and 8 hours of sleep).

It happen to my (but I knew it a 1.5 years before), my position was reallocated outside CH.But it turns one of the best things ever.

I’ve 6 months notice period(they have increase it), that I used to look for a job and look for my child. I found a new position(within 2 months) and joined just after my contract ended. So holidays for 4-5 months enjoying parenting. Cash was still coming.

2 Likes

Thank you guys for all your posts.

Decided that I’ll use my monthly savingsrate (outside 3a) to rebuild half of my EF (5k) in the next months and then use 5k of my bonus in February 2022 to fill it up.

I could always use my creditcard (10k) or IBKR margin if it’s really necessary.

3 Likes

Sounds like a reasonable strategy.

For the rest of us it means that the stock is going to go up disproportionately for the next months!

8 Likes