Effect of 2020 US presidential election on markets

He rather strikes me as having an opportunist attitude to race relations:
He might be indifferent or even tolerating racist attitudes or actions to some degree, if doing the opposite would hurt his own interests. For example, his companies might discriminate, not rent to blacks, if it hurts his real estate businesses. And he might not distance himself from racists, so as not to alienate them, if they represent a substantial number of potential voters.

But I doubt that he’s really a supremacist at heart.

Also, I read news articles over the last couple of days saying that Trump has increased not only the mere number, but also his share among black voters this year, compared to previous Republican candidates.

1 Like

6 Likes

Nobody? :slight_smile:

It is done, the clown is out. (I hope)

1 Like

It’s popcorn time :popcorn:

1 Like

Indeed it is

1 Like

25 posts were split to a new topic: Political preferences (US & more)

Markets seem to like the result:

1 Like

Holy shit. Everywhere you look, you see 3-6%.

Hold off your buying until @Cortana goes in with his savings this month.
Or did you say you are holding back until next year? :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Anything to do with Pfizers vaccine?

Unless there was insider trading, no. FT headlines were already commenting worldwide stock increase this morning.

Not quite. 1% was the general plus at the markets that were open today until the vaccine news at 12:40, then everything went up an additional 2-4%.
So election “news” = 1%
Vaccine = the rest
Generally speaking.

2 Likes

Indeed, that matches the current headline on FT :slight_smile: “Covid vaccine breakthrough fuels broad global market rally”

1 Like

I’ll admit that I put probably too much trust into polls.
Putting 12% on Biden seems overconfident retrospectively. However, I still believe this was “more correct” than what betting markets implied.

Until now, there’s still no real sign of mass civil unrest on the right. It remains to be seen if this stays the same, but I might have been too pessimistic on this.

My prediction, about what happens when the election is close, is looking pretty good:

Trump seems to have been succesfull in undermining the trust in the election of many of his followers.

EDIT:
To be fair, this is a general trend on the losing side of any election. But it seems especially pronounced this election:

1 Like

I don’t know where to put this…

I saw a sudden drop in most Chinese stocks, and I knew something must have happened re. US and them…

Quick Google made me LOL (not sure if related, but I guess)

“The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function.”

This also might be the reason he will not get the possibility to get elected again but instead run to russia or go to jail.

He was right again. What a guy!

Protestors have stormed the U.S. capitol.
Capitol proceedings stopped.
Members of capital told to shelter or evacuated.

A democracy at its breaking point.

3 Likes

Yes, it’s crazy.
You can watch/rewatch a live-stream about it here:
WATCH LIVE: Congress holds joint session to count Electoral College vote - YouTube

1 Like