Dr. Tax: Useful tool or money grab?

Hi there,

I recently discovered the existence of Dr. Tax, and I was wondering whether anyone here had found any added value to it, compared to the software made available by the cantons.

Cheers

My understanding was that the cantonal tax software is a rebranding/reskinning of the Dr. Tax software. So if you do your taxes with the cantonal software already there’s no advantage over Dr. Tax.

1 Like

Oh, thanks for the info, that would indeed make it pretty much useless…

I tried dr Tax and my conclusion was that it is a clunky and outdated software.

I couldn’t find any advantages.

I’m comparing with VD.

1 Like

I met a tax advisor the other day which does the taxes for private persons and small business and he told me he uses Dr.Tax all the time. Apparently it automatically sets all the maximum deductions based on your entered data and on the maximum deductions the canton allows.

I have never used the software though. I might test it out since 29.- is not a whole lot.

Interesting! Theoretically, the existing softwares should also calculate the deductions based on your income, but I’m curious if there’s something else. I doubt it would add deductions like “X amount can be declared because the canton only checks amounts above that”, as that would most likely be tax fraud.

In any case, feel free to give us your feedback if you end up using it, I’m sure it would benefit many people here.

1 Like

@logitacher: Curious if you tried Dr.Tax.

My tax consultant also uses this tool. This year, first time, I am thinking to file taxes myself. I see that my tax consultant has prepared previous tax returns using Dr.Tax. I am wondering if I should also give a try (for easy comparison with past records).

No I didn’t. I just read through my cantonal paper (Wegleitung) and did deductions according to this.