Did I underachieve in life?

True.

But I‘m quite confident that graduating from a no-name instead of a well-known university would have prevented (most of) them from going to their positions.

2 Likes

Probably true most everywhere, but not in Switzerland.
Check out this article: https://www.iamexpat.ch/education/education-news/some-switzerlands-top-ceos-did-apprenticeships-instead-high-school

I agree, it is easy recruiting. If you are HSG, you are more likely to hire a HSG person because you know what you get and they are in your personal network

This article is giving examples of 2 former CEOs, not really a representative study. They are probably more the exception than the rule and would rather feed some confirmation bias.

I have seen a study that the guys in top positions of banks etc. are mostly groomed since their earliest carrier (meaning hired from a top university and then pushed through the ranks - as longthey produce the results needed of course).

1 Like

In my opinion, a paper from a recognized school is useful for showing off in society. It’s a bit of a “who’s got the biggest” contest.

The network is much more important than any paper. In that sense, joining a local Rotary or Lions Club would be much more helpful.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your story. I feel like studies and life achievements do not necessarily correlate.

Do you think your friends are happier than you? You have your own place, a girlfriend, and a stable job.

I also work at a bank and often wonder if I could be doing more, just like you. And the answer is YES. I could be doing more, doing better. My dad always says life is a marathon. If you want a job, a mission that adds value to the world, there are many ways to create that position for yourself. You still have time to go back to school, or build a resume that will help you achieve what you have always dreamt of (in engineering or not). There are many ways to help people, at a small or large scale.

Congrats for what you have built so far.

4 Likes

Compared to what? I’ve read this post some time ago and have wanted to reply, but then thought differently because I’m not going to be as supportive as everybody else. Still it kind of stuck with me and I decided to reply nevertheless…

I value your responses on this board, you seem like a knowledgeable bloke when it comes to finances in Switzerland. But this post gives me some strong fishing, r/iamverysmart vibes.

Did you underachieve? It depends on the metric I guess.

Your childhood was difficult, you’ve got a great opportunity through great social policies (school psych evaluation and then paid private school) and you sort of squandered it at first but it provided you with a great opportunity to do the internship (I assume you wouldn’t have been able to do it without the Gymnasium). So no, I don’t think you underachieved, hell financially, you overachieved! If you hadn’t flunked out would you be earning that much? How many people with a masters are earning less than you at 32? Look at this table!

You actually failed upwards, financially! You have no degree and earn more than most graduates who finish about the same age as you do and by the time you’ll be done you’ll be earning more than most of them most likely. Also you earned money while they did not for many years.

Morally/ethically, could you have done something to benefit society instead rich clients, maybe. Could your achievements in ITER mean free energy for everyone! Maybe!
That’s where “virtue signaling” comes in to me. You can go ahead and do that. Hell, save some money now and take the time off to go back to school.

I would give up a pretty decent career in banking for it. It would also be a lot of hard work. Early 20s, living at parents home, working 8-16h/week…so much easier. I just couldn’t manage it now. And it would probably put early retirement out of the picture.

But you’re happy with where you are. Enjoy it!

5 Likes

Surprising numbers, thanks for sharing. So the top 25% earn 100k gross 5 years after finishing a Bachelors degree and 110-115k gross 5 years after finishing a Masters degree. You are right that without the Gymnasium I wouldn’t have got the internship. This diploma actually saved me as there weren’t many alternatives.

That’s depends of what do you mean successful.

I had this conversation with my wife in regards of our kids and an article that I read about the kid’s future income and family wealth correlation.

Summary of my wife and I conversation
I want my kids to be happy, independently of the money that they will earn (this will be a success)
Good studies centers, universities open some doors and connections that other doesn’t (anyway you need good grades or really good connections).
It is much harder to climb the ladder from the bottom rather than the entering at the middle (open door based on education and background)

3 Likes

I know that one could view this as a sociopathic behaviour, but it really resonated with me.

2 Likes

Sheesh now I want to know how it finishes.

Nice way to overturn things, though.

edit: I mean I’d love if someone tells me how that scene finishes. I realized I might not want to see the movie…

4 Likes

It’s not a movie, but a series called The Dropout, which is based on the life of Elizabeth Holmes, which created Theranos and turned out to be a complete scam. The whole story is in fact worth checking out, it’s fascinating! The actor representing Elizabeth Holmes is so eerily right, it’s amazing!

4 Likes

You did well in life. You are successful in your own way. Own it, be proud, you have reasons !

On getting back to university (my opinion): do it if you want to prove something to yourself. Prove that you can accomplish it. To achieve something you have not done yet. But not for others, for job. You seem perfectly capable of scoring points at work.

3 Likes

I agree with this. I actually did exactly this in my early 30s, as I would have been the first person in my family with a university degree (or even attending university), and I wanted to prove to myself that I could have done it if my family had had the means.

Professionally, I was doing well managing a subsidiary of a US company, so I decided to try that before having kids. I completed the first 2 years of Computer Science until I realized that what I was learning in uni was so useless and disconnected from what I was doing as a developer/manager that it felt futile and led me to drop out (even if in Portugal you’re not taken seriously unless you have a diploma).

It would have been a waste if I had done it to make someone else happy or respect me.

7 Likes

Wait. Owning an apartment, a job with 120k compensation and you haven’t graduated bachelor in your industry yet? Man, you are way ahead of most people I know, including myself, in terms of current status and future potential.

Having said that, comparing to others doesn’t make sense, just moving forward on your own path. Sorry I haven’t read much of your past. Just look forward.

1 Like

He isn’t comparing himself to others as much as comparing himself to the potential he may have had.

He gets paid a ton to sell banking and finance products to people - while wondering if he could have contributed to creating marvels of engineering instead that could change the world.

5 Likes

Have you ever thought about doing an executive master to achieve both goals? Something useful for the current career path and obtaining a diploma that can always be useful for future goals.

1 Like

@Jaime
I’m not really talking about my financial success. I know that earning 120k without a bachelor degree is pretty decent. But like @San_Francisco said I was wondering about the field of work I’m in. I really like my job because finance is my passion, but how much am I actually contributing to society and progression of humanity.

@jcd
First I need to finish my bachelors degree in autumn 2024. But yes that would also be an option, just an expensive one :smiley:

you can have many “lifes” if you able to master a different job in 6 months (and can fake it until you do)
you might find out your current life was better than the next you try

1 Like

I don’t really long to be a manager, I’d rather grow on the technical track. So an executive master would be of no use to me. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

1 Like

I can empathise with your predicament as I had similar thoughts myself.

I made one huge mistake in life: my passion was really about technologies, computers etc. and I thought “why turn a passion into a job?” so went and did something else instead (finance).

Then I saw all my friends (who are in tech) doing all the cools stuff that I want to do, but I have very little time to do. I saw my skills decrease as there’s only so much you can improve in your spare time compared to all your spare time and work time honing your skills.

And then I saw my dream job come into existence (reinforcement learning to teach computers to play games).

I did think of switching careers (and a friend at Google urged me to interview). But in the meantime, I’d manage to carve out my niche in the organization that allowed me to earn a decent salary and work only 35 hours a week with no stress. So I figured it was easier to do 5 more years and then retire and do my computer stuff as a retirement hobby. So I resigned myself to that and knowing that I am not leading a life that is true to myself - but life comes with lots of trade-offs and compromises.

The key thing is that I’m 45 and have reached as high up the ladder as I want to go (any higher requires more time/energy/work). I have 2 small kids, so it is more important that I have free time to spend with them rather than put in hours to establish myself in a new career with a new company.

At 32, you probably are not yet able to retire and you have your whole working life still ahead of you to do a career that is meaningful to you. I’d urge you to not make the same mistake as me, but I know it is scary to jump and start from square 1 again.

9 Likes