Current mortgage rates

Best rates I could get is form the Postal pension fund through valuu.ch

Check rates here

Feeling like my reading and preparation is literally paying off! Was tracking rates and insisted to renegotiate my mortgage before my bankers vacation and got 6years at 1.26%.

would’ve been slightly less at 3-5 but I had to round up to match the dates the tranches will end as I work to merge them back - previously mentioned in another feed.

I still find it crazy : the bank had convinced my father in law to have 4 tranches and 2 different dates, so takes me 3 renewal periods to undo. Argh!

At least they agreed to stop amortisation and I’m waiting on a new contract to free up my 3a from “nantissements” and end indirect amortisation with no direct amortisation either…almost there!

2 Likes

Indirect amortization is not bad, as long as it’s invested in stocks or combo of stocks/bonds - prerequisite low cost (ideally <1%)

2 Likes

Totally agree. I think indirect amortisation is amazing.

The bank I’m with has been increasingly painful for that though. I was only allowed to invest in Swisscanto funds capped at 45% actions with a high TER and high droit de garde (basically rétrocessions) on top. The funds have still done pretty well overall but knowing what I could have since 2 years is a bit frustrating.

Since two years, they’ve been literally saying they don’t let anyone invest their 3a when it’s in gage and I’ve had to ask for a special dérogation each time since I already had invested mine in the past. Pain in the ass due to changing bank policies and them not being smart enough to grandfather the existing clients prior to changing policies. I really had to insist to keep doing what I had been told I could do which a client shouldn’t have to do.

In the end, so glad I invested it right away in 2013, but be attentive to changing bank policies before you sell thinking to reinvest in another fund or better yet when picking your bank for your mortgage in the first place.

Edit: anyone have a mortgage with viac or finpension as indirect collateral? Will another bank accept that your indirect 3a is not with them directly? Probably not but thought I’d ask…better to put 2ieme as gage then no?

Not possible. Indirect amortization is always with the bank that gave you the mortgage.

3 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Temporary thread

Don’t know why they list it like that. No bank will do it. You can only pledge vested benefits accounts and life insurancies from other financial institutions than the one you have your mortgage with.

Really? And a pension fund maybe? Or an insurance?

Pension funds aren’t usually offering mortgages with amortization (thus max. 66.6% LTV). Insurances do, but with their own shitty products.

3 Likes

Found this in the Caisse de pension Poste FAQ :

Puis-je également amortir indirectement ?

Oui, vous pouvez amortir par le biais d’une police d’assurance 3ème pilier d’une compagnie d’assurance ou par le biais d’un compte du pilier 3a d’une banque.

So with this pension fund you should be able to pledge your finpension or viac account !

Well there are much better offer today

1 Like

Pension funds often have very competitive interest rates for FRMs. They aren’t yet included in the moneyland.ch comparison because most have limitations, such as only accepting properties in specific regions, or only accepting a limited number of applications per year, etc. Additional services like indirect amortization through pillar 3a etc. can be more complicated.

Also, many only offer mortgages to their pension plan participants. But the bigger ones in particular (Post, SBB, etc.) accept external applicants, and I would highly recommend checking their rates when looking for FRMs.

Your own pension fund is a good place to start. FRM offers from pension plans to their participants are among the most favorable in Switzerland. For example, 7-year FRMs from the Bernische Pensionskasse (BPK) have a 1.17% interest rate, but are only available to participants.

For those interested, you can find a list of the pension funds which accept non-participants here:

3 Likes

I wouldn’t put too much stake in the interest rates published by that mortgage broker, as they are likely the best rates it was able to get for the most eligible customers/properties (and possibly at some point in the past when rates were generally lower). But it does show that it is possible to negotiate interest rates well below advertised guide rates.

Wow in Aug 2021 my 0.98% 10 years was smashed by all the others in the forum with 0.7 or 0.8%
Now it sounds pretty amazing.

4 Likes

From the local bank we got quoted following rates for a mortgage tranche renewal of 220k ending july 2022:

2yr 1.04%
3yr 1.19%
4yr 1.28%
5yr 1.35%
6yr 1.41%
7yr 1.46%
8yr 1.50%
9yr 1.55%
10yr 1.58%

The first and luckily bigger tranche was renewed some time ago for 8yr 1.08%

I know it’s a premium but we have a really good relationship with the bank since many years and they are really accomodating with upping the mortgage for renovations etc.

1 Like

So you did let yourself lock-in with two different durations of the mortgage? Why would one do that?

Yes indeed I would not advise to do this two tranche model. It is basically only for customer binding because you have to have both tranches with the same mortgage provider. The second tranche was used for renovations and the first bigger one for the property itself.

2 Likes

wait for RE prices to drop :wink:

1 Like

We got a 10 year loan for the purchase and some 9 years plus X days for the refurbishment (so the two tranches match their renewal date)

1 Like

Let’s see :slight_smile:

I am prepared for some slow down but I think long term we will see either moderate growth or some stagnation and some very minimal growth going forward.

What is certain is that people salaries are increasing even though modestly and raw material costs more, therefore new property will have to cost more going forward.