Current mortgage rates

Really? And a pension fund maybe? Or an insurance?

Pension funds aren’t usually offering mortgages with amortization (thus max. 66.6% LTV). Insurances do, but with their own shitty products.

3 Likes

Found this in the Caisse de pension Poste FAQ :

Puis-je Ă©galement amortir indirectement ?

Oui, vous pouvez amortir par le biais d’une police d’assurance 3ùme pilier d’une compagnie d’assurance ou par le biais d’un compte du pilier 3a d’une banque.

So with this pension fund you should be able to pledge your finpension or viac account !

Well there are much better offer today

1 Like

Pension funds often have very competitive interest rates for FRMs. They aren’t yet included in the moneyland.ch comparison because most have limitations, such as only accepting properties in specific regions, or only accepting a limited number of applications per year, etc. Additional services like indirect amortization through pillar 3a etc. can be more complicated.

Also, many only offer mortgages to their pension plan participants. But the bigger ones in particular (Post, SBB, etc.) accept external applicants, and I would highly recommend checking their rates when looking for FRMs.

Your own pension fund is a good place to start. FRM offers from pension plans to their participants are among the most favorable in Switzerland. For example, 7-year FRMs from the Bernische Pensionskasse (BPK) have a 1.17% interest rate, but are only available to participants.

For those interested, you can find a list of the pension funds which accept non-participants here:

3 Likes

I wouldn’t put too much stake in the interest rates published by that mortgage broker, as they are likely the best rates it was able to get for the most eligible customers/properties (and possibly at some point in the past when rates were generally lower). But it does show that it is possible to negotiate interest rates well below advertised guide rates.

Wow in Aug 2021 my 0.98% 10 years was smashed by all the others in the forum with 0.7 or 0.8%
Now it sounds pretty amazing.

4 Likes

From the local bank we got quoted following rates for a mortgage tranche renewal of 220k ending july 2022:

2yr 1.04%
3yr 1.19%
4yr 1.28%
5yr 1.35%
6yr 1.41%
7yr 1.46%
8yr 1.50%
9yr 1.55%
10yr 1.58%

The first and luckily bigger tranche was renewed some time ago for 8yr 1.08%

I know it’s a premium but we have a really good relationship with the bank since many years and they are really accomodating with upping the mortgage for renovations etc.

1 Like

So you did let yourself lock-in with two different durations of the mortgage? Why would one do that?

Yes indeed I would not advise to do this two tranche model. It is basically only for customer binding because you have to have both tranches with the same mortgage provider. The second tranche was used for renovations and the first bigger one for the property itself.

2 Likes

wait for RE prices to drop :wink:

1 Like

We got a 10 year loan for the purchase and some 9 years plus X days for the refurbishment (so the two tranches match their renewal date)

1 Like

Let’s see :slight_smile:

I am prepared for some slow down but I think long term we will see either moderate growth or some stagnation and some very minimal growth going forward.

What is certain is that people salaries are increasing even though modestly and raw material costs more, therefore new property will have to cost more going forward.

Hungary had 7.9% inflation, the current forecast is around 5.5% base rate by the end of 2022 (it used to be 0.9% last December). Same story for all of Central Europe in PL, CZ.

The US will increase 3-5 times this year, the ECB will need to follow suit eventually, the SNB can also not wait in vain.

House prices might stall into zero growth for awhile, but I expect some slight correction into apartments. Can’t properly explain yet, but if inflation is here to stay it will have to have some correctional effect.

Just yday JP Morgan now expects 9 consecutively interest raises (didn’t specify if within 2022) but stated 9.

BoA was already bullish at 7.

Looks like 7 is moving average now.

1 Like