Current cheapest day-to-day banking/credit card combination

Thanks for the hints.
Could you please confirm that your referral code actually gets a person CHF40? I have only seen this codes bringing CHF10 in the past.

Yes, it looks like a special offer (unfortunately it was not available when I’ve signed up). I’ve received this mail yesterday - hope it helps:

Für Sie und Ihre Freunde ist das eine echte Win-win-Situation : Pro erfolgreich angeworbenen Neukunden erhalten Sie und der neue Kunde jeweils CHF 40.– auf das jeweilige Kreditkartenkonto gutgeschrieben.

Ihr persönlicher Promo-Code lautet:
MGM40KVCV

So einfach funktionierts

1. Sie versenden Ihren persönlichen Promo-Code oder geben ihn direkt an Ihre Freunde weiter.
  2. Ihre Freunde geben den Promo-Code während des Antragsprozesses ein.
  3. Nach erfolgreicher Kartenausstellung erhalten Sie und Ihre Freunde je CHF 40.–.

Great, that makes sense - thanks much.

Just used this. Hope you invest your 40.- wisely :wink:

Question: do you know if the 1% cashback you get with the Cumulus credit card when shopping at Migros is in addition to the 1% you get anyway when using your Cumulus loyalty (not credit) card?

I mean, if you have a Cumulus loyalty card you get 1 point per franc regardless of the means of payment you use. This is equivalent to 1% in Migros blue coupons I can get even if I pay with, say, a Maestro card.

Now, with the Cumulus Mastercard we get 0.33% cashback everywhere and 1% at Migros. So do we get 1 or 2% in total? If it’s only 1% then we should use the cashback Amex card at Migros while scanning our Cumulus loyalty card…

You don’t get 2%, check this thread.

In Coop and Partners you should only pay with Migros Cumulus and in Migros and Partners you should only pay with Coop Supercard. (you don’t get cash back when using their own card at their place)

Thanks! Sorry for asking again, I hadn’t seen that one.

Neon gets rid of foreign transaction fees and currency exchange surcharge/spread for card payments, boldly stating that they are going to convert at the Mastercard exchange rate without surcharge (here‘s the missing link to the price list).

:astonished:

4 Likes

Great news. I wonder what will be their premium product. At some point, they need to make money.

What is the difference between market rate and Mastercard’s ? Could it be that Neon is doing the exchange at Mastercard’s rate or is it Mastercard that must be doing it? I have no idea how the whole process works.

AFAIK Mastercard rate is set once per day and is usually a little bit higher than the Interbanking Rate of Revolut. On weekends the Mastercard rate usually wins out against Revolut, because they apply +0.5% for EUR.

FYI, I just did a test while travelling abroad, bought the same thing twice, using Revolut and neon, and the results were indeed similar. 6.90€ turning into 7.39CHF on Revolut and 7.40CHF on neon, the slight difference most likely caused because the payment obviously didn’t happen at the exact same time, so the rate must have been slightly different. Nice move by neon really.

What day of the week (UTC) did you shop?
Expect 0.5% discount on revolut if you did on a weekend

https://www.revolut.com/help/getting-started/exchanging-currencies/what-foreign-exchange-rate-will-i-get/

Yes I’m aware, sorry, I should have specified it was on Friday

1 Like

If anybody has used my Swisscard cashback promo code (MGM40KVCV), and not received the CHF 40 yet, please send me a private message. It looks like Swisscard has a lot of issues tracking these promo codes (but good news: after some emails we were able to get the CHF 40 booked for both sides).

I have a question for Zak users. I am thinking about switching for it. However, I was wondering about their customer service, response time etc. For those of you who might have had issue with something related to their Zak account. I was wondering how was their responsiveness, competence etc. in fixing the issue. Sometimes, purely (or almost) e-services are cheaper but the customer service is not really good or even quite bad. So I was wondering about your experience there.

I haven’t had any issues with Zak itself except for their app UI uglyness while they were not Android 10 ready. What issues do you expect to have with the bank? I personally prefer Neon because of the better withdrawal limits.

Thanks. For whatever issue, say you debit card has a defect and does not work for exemple ( this just happened to me last week). Sometimes for cheap e-services, when you try to call the customer service center, you never manage to actually get a real person on the phone to explain them the issue. I find that really frustrating.
Btw, have they now integrated the eBill system?

Had absolutely no issues with response time, the three or so times I had to call Zak. Issues (though only “routine” cases - but read below) were solved swiftly over the phone.

That said, I am not convinced that making me have to call was warranted to begin with.

Ex. 1: Had to confirm transfer of a mid-four figure amount over the phone. Though I’m not 100% sure, I do seem to remember that they messaged me only a “while” after I had initiated the transfer in-app.
The payment was to go to the cantonal tax administration though. So as low-risk a payment as it can get, that should’ve been waved through. I recently read though that they increased limits…

Ex. 2: They locked my account after I had wiped the balance shortly before the end of the year, having transferred to another account of mine. So they made me call and proactively asked me if wanted to cancel and close the account for good. Even though I have had - and still have - more than 1500+ Francs flowing into the account each and every month.

Very low quality customer service from my experience. I even have sent a mail once which got completely ignored.