Coronavirus: when do we reach the bottom of the dip?

if it’s not (practically) enforcable the steps should not be implemented, else more credibility is lost than leaving the steps away.

I think 99% of people believe a ticket for the train is “normal” and it’s been like that for ever.
Have you seen Fahrkarten checks, you need one person playing difficult and it binds a huge amount of manpower. Staff gets insulted and threatened.

Now we have a certificate which is controversial and “new” and maybe 10% or even 20% are going to play difficult. You recognise some of these people by the way they wear the masks, their reaction when you attempt to politely ask them to wear it correctly etc.
:point_right: not enforcable (at this time) IMO

With no offence intended - I would say this is national Swiss sport. To some degree I even think that this is how Swiss achieved the most “democratic” democracy by acting as a society, as single unit or self-regulating mechanism.

2 Likes

I have to say some people sometimes overdue it a bit :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Then they should also not request passenger locator forms and covid tests at the border crossings as it is practically unenforceable (I cross several times per week in different borders and I’ve never been checked - same for all my acquaintances)

1 Like

I would potentially do it if someone not having a train ticket could have a detrimental effect on my own health. I would definitely politely ask someone who is smoking on a wagon to kindly put off their cigarette. They are medling with my own damn personal business by sending unwanted smoke down my throat and lungs.

Replace smoke with potential harmful viruses and I think I can make a case for meddling in the way other people wear their mask in closed spaces during a pandemic. :wink:

6 Likes

I agree wih you. I almost never police other people, if I’m not affected. However, the mask under the nose could increase my or my dear one’s infection danger. Before you say i should just wear a FFP2 mask, I do, but my young child doesn’t, nor can she be vaccinated. Increasing her chances of catching it, increases my chances because at home we of course don’t wear masks. You should hear the comments one gets. All lovely people privately I’m sure, stick them in a train for an hour and things change.

Speed limits are accepted to 99% people and thus easily enforcable 99.9% of the time with a very low input of manpower.

I agree. Isn’t it not a sensible measure to you because there are never checks? if one does it diligently one feels stupid after a while.

2 Likes

In what sense? It’s better to let people kill themselves and overwhelm health care system rather than to let them ride around in trains only if vaccinated? Since when you’re supporting antivaxxers? So the right of reasonable (vaccinated) people to have a family event or run a business or to go to restaurant or gym is less important than right of some dumb assholes (antivaxxers) to ride trains? This is truly bizarre logic to me.

Public transportation is part of freedom of movement, this usually is one of the highest bar in terms of restriction (compared to access to leisure activities for instance).

Switzerland public transit system is tightly integrated (there’s not really notion of long distance vs. short, same network deserves everything) so I don’t think you can slice things further (in other countries they often have a differentiation between short and long distance, with short distance being for daily life, e.g. going to work, visiting a doctor, etc.)

3 Likes

That’s the way to move forward. Punish antivaxxers for their stupidity and harm they impose on others, not normal people and businesses.

5 Likes

Oh I am absolutely not supporting antivaxxers. I would be in favour of a vaccine mandate, actually.

I was trying to think about why public transportation were left available to non-vaccinated people. I thought it must be that the authorities considered it a basic service like food or medicines and therefore something which should be available to everyone, of course with the side-effect of not stopping the spreading as much as they could have.

1 Like

[EDIT: As @nabalzbhf correctly points out, this argument doesn’t really hold. Scusi!]
I just realized that I didn’t notice this before you pointed it out.
It was the most common objection to getting vaccinated I heard.

Only 50’000 people have used the vaccine.
With a generous vaccination rate of 75%, this means that only about 2% of the previously vaccinated did get the JnJ vaccine. Seems pretty obvious that “mRNA vaccine unsafe” was a deceptive argument and not the real reason people didn’t want to get vaccinated.

1 Like

To be fair JnJ (viral vector vaccines) aren’t really old school. They work ~same as the mRNA ones (it just modifies another virus’ RNA or DNA to generate the mRNA to produce the spike instead of injecting mRNA directly) and are pretty novel (besides trials, were only used for Ebola prior to Covid).

3 Likes

Uh, you’re right. I never properly informed myself.
I just heard that it was marketed as “being for people who aren’t ‘able’ to get mRNA vaccines” and that it was not completely novel (which is only correct insofar there have been two vaccines for Ebola before).

Was stupid and I take it back :slight_smile:

It is useful if you are allergic to some of the components of the other mRNA vaccines.

Though bad news for adenovirus based vaccines: https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1471526436490170373

1 Like

OK, here I go again, another report from the covid skeptics on Twitter. I read time and time again stories by people who were 2x vaxxed and yet got covid and infected other people. They ask: why bother with the certificate? Why be required to show it everywhere?

I know, being vaxxed reduces the risk of the spread. But it doesn’t eliminate it. And since it varies from person to person, it’s difficult to give a clear answer just how much does a vaccine help not to become a spreader.

I do not read such stories, I simply see them at work for example where some sometime young colleagues got a breakthrough infection and had to be on medical leave for two weeks. The question to me is not who you have contaminated but more from who you got it. At work we have many unvaccinated colleague and some of them got sick as well. I expect some unvaccinated colleagues to be sick without symptoms and spreading silently the virus.
Swissmedic was far too late with the certification of the booster and the Swiss government was also too slow, not being prepared to inject it once it was validated. The delay of 6 month to get it has been waived yesterday but was waived much earlier in neighboring countries.
The vaccine does not eliminates the probability to spread the virus but probably reduces this probability by a factor 3 to 10 and that already makes a strong improvement in today situation. Without two third of the population vaccinated this wave would be a real punishment for the health system and the population.

2 Likes

Before omicron: being vaccinated reduces probability of spreading by 60-70%. Study referenced above or in the other thread

That has a huge impact across a population

Germany’s current COVID-19 crisis is mainly driven by the unvaccinated | medRxiv

I think it was this research. There are lots of cases of people getting sick and maybe spread the virus even if double vaccinated and it can raise doubt or support the non-vaccinated in their choice (e.g., “Vaccins are useless, why take a shot if I will get covid anyways?”). But the problem must be addressed from a populational perspective, not an individual one

3 Likes