Coronavirus: when do we reach the bottom of the dip?

I was thinking about various claims I made in this thread and how well they held up.

This strikes me as likely the most over-confident and largely incorrect one.

I thought mutations were not super likely. I looked at mutations only in terms of personal health and not societal consequences. I was overconfident that the disease would be relatively benign upon reinfection.
If I remember correctly, this might have been affected by a general over-optimism I felt during that time. The reasoning during 2020 was that “good vaccine = pandemic is over after some time” and then we had a “good vaccine”. I put too much faith into that reasoning.

What are the worst things you wrote in this thread? Why do you think you were wrong?

3 Likes

Has anybody listened to this?

1 Like

Here’s a summary (by someone else):

1. Hydroxychloroquine was shown to be effective for improving covid outcomes when introduced early-on during the disease, but for whatever reason the drug was suppressed by banning it everywhere, threatening doctors who use it, introducing a mysterious fraudulent study on the Lancet journal which was quickly retracted and even burning down hydroxychloroquine factories.
  2. Covid epidemic may have been modeled after an organized mass psychosis model. Possibly early treatment drugs may have been suppressed to increase the fear factor and redirect everyone’s attention toward vaccination. Moderna was working on the vaccine before the covid outbreak.
  3. Asymptomatic covid may not be a thing and might have been manufactured through dishonest testing.
  4. You can’t really get covid twice. Why some people think they had it twice or more.
  5. Differential testing methods exaggerated the efficacy of vaccines (Vaccinated people don’t get tested for covid).
  6. If you’ve already gone through Covid-19 you might have a permanent immunity and taking a vaccine at this point offers no value at best and is harmful at worst.
  7. Discussing potential damages from the spike protein and myocarditis more specifically. Vaccinated children are 4-6x more likely to get myocarditis from vaccination than from covid.
  8. Several studies showing that covid-19 vaccination doesn’t prevent covid-19 transmission between individuals.
1 Like

Thank you for your list of 8 arguments.
The point 8 is already clear as an alternative fact. Vaccination does not prevent covid transmission, as you claim, but it reduces it by a factor 3, which is already a victory that you omit to mention.
Please provide a proof, in the form of a scientific publication in a journal with peer review, for each of the eight points.
Good luck. :blush:

11 Likes

By the way, what are you looking for? Alternative facts that disproves the mainstream narrative?

Just a heads up, there’s going to be endless of those, and it takes energy to disprove them one by one, it’s going to be very draining for forum members who still want to engage with those.
As @bamboo mentions, better to do some research first (fact checking websites, and if you know how to follow scientific method, do a bit of bibliography, e.g. those 8 points can be disproved fairly quickly using those methods)

11 Likes

It’s great to see that (repeat) vaccinations still seem to be incredibly effective in preventing the worst harms from Covid.

5 Likes

Now that we can vaccinate the children, I want to throw out the question: did you do it/are you going to?

My child will soon be eligible and, for the first time on this topic, we have a bit of a misalignment of opinions in the family. I need to do my own research, but I would gladly also hear your opinions/conclusions. Thanks!

I have good experience with the vaccine personally, including the booster. No side-effects and in a few cases was very close & unprotected to probably infectious person and did not get infected.

However for my child I am against it in current situation/next months:

• omikron mild
  • for decent side-effect data in children would want more long-term data than is presently available
  • “soon” moving into springtime dip, or at least by the time a vaccination protection is effective, it will be spring soon.

My partner has shown me that even children can have some more serious symptoms from covid infection. This was the best link she could show me -

however, it did not convince me. The contents don’t convince me, nor does the look of the site.

I will re-assess in late summer.

Stop posting those death statistics, they don’t matter at all.

If there was a virus with a 50% probability to make you blind forever, would you argue that the vaccine is useless because nobody is dying of it?

2 Likes

I think such a statement is a bit too strong…

2 Likes

It may makes sense if the goal of the community is to limit the spread of the virus.

1 Like

As I said, I did not yet do my research. But the vaccines have been tested and approved for children > 5 yo, so I assume the risk is (very?) small. I suppose there’s a tiny risk involved with all mandatory vaccinations that (even very small) children do, but that makes it possible to live in a society where such diseases (some rather dangerous to children, like measles) are almost inexistant.

You are (as usual) quite convinced of your ideas. Would you mind share your sources, in particular regarding the risks of the vaccine in children compared to the risk of getting the disease?

2 Likes

Dude you know very well that statement will illicit the most emotional response possible from parents and as such is the definition of trolling :slight_smile:

I haven’t vaccinated my kids against Covid.

I have vaccinated them against chicken pox (varicella). Chicken pox would not kill them but it would make them ill and miserable for a week. Why would I put them through that when it is avoidable? Death is not the only valid statistic

On a positive note (well more like result), I woke up with COVID on Sunday. Probably contracted in Mexico during the PCR Test for getting back to Switzerland (oh the irony). Would have had the booster appointment on Sunday morning but had a shitty night with chills and fever which I first thought were jetlag symptoms but self-test turned out positive one hour before booster shot. Well moved the booster and got a PCR instead, also positive. Had some headaches on Sunday but only light cold like symptoms since.

I hope you don’t get too ill, and hopefully better soon!

1 Like

A possibly bigger benefit is that it significantly reduces the risk to get shingles when they are old.

I was hoping you had some scientific studies at hand.

I’d like your personal opinion on whether I should get the booster. I’m thin, in mid 30s, and had my 2nd moderna shot in July 2021. I’m hesitating, because I had a strong reaction to the 2nd shot. Also, I’m hoping that omicron variant could help achieve herd immunity, at which point the restrictions could be abolished and I could avoid getting another shot. Like I said, what’s your opinion?

I would ask your family doctor (if you have one) or get an informed medical opinion about costs and benefits of that third shot (wich is half dose for Moderna btw).

Personnally had my third Pfizer dose, no effect other than the feeling of being protected against complications of covid. A friend (same profil as you and me) has some lasting head aches after 5 days with covid and two Moderna shots… but thoses are just meaningless personnal examples

2 Likes

Well, my opinion for you is the one I would have for the average person: get it.

I was pretty sick after the 2nd dose of Moderna but the 3rd gave me almost no symptoms (it’s a smaller dose).

2 Likes