Coronavirus: when do we reach the bottom of the dip?

Either I’m blind, or people are easy to manipulate. I see nothing in that video, she keeps quite a poker face. Video quality is shit anyway.

I can’t listen to it, but I can see her face changing and suddenly she looks down and mutters something…

The quality is bad because it’s a soft zoom from another video.

I dislike these snippets put together to make it all look (even more) bad. Especially since the original is usually not less “crazy”. Of course it’s also so one doesn’t have to sit through 90 minute press conferences, but hey I don’t have Netflix, so this will do.
I watched this part in the full video & Burx & the CDC guy do cringe visibly. Burx does it better, she has more practise, especially the CDC guy is “funny”, I think he is concentrating very very hard just to show no emotion at all, yes, poker face, but it’s very focussed “don’t make eye contact, don’t make eye contact, just say you agree to look into it”.
PS anyway it turns out it was all sarcasm on the POS’s part and the joke’s on those that didn’t get it. :smile::wink:

In the last 24h I’ve seen many headlines with Raoul Pal (here is a short interview), claiming that the Boomers have a large portion of their pension in a stock market. Their average age is ~66, thus they will want to start withdrawing it soon.

On the other side of the equation there are companies with a huge amount of debt, which was financed by these Boomers.

The government consists mostly of Boomers too and it’s in their best interest to prevent the pension system from collapsing. Thus they’re printing the money.

Since stock market and housing markets have been at all time highs, Millennials could not afford much, as their net worth is not that high (yet).

So Raoul claims that allowing companies to accrue such huge amounts of debts was a structural flaw, which will eventually break the entire system and the stock market will crash and then move sideways for decades. His proposed solution for Millenial investors is to buy Bitcoin, which will have 100x valuation.

I’d tend to agree with the first part - the Boomer Feds will do anything to save their own finances.

I’m skeptical with his solution with Bitcoin though. I know there is finite number of BTC, but what would have to happen to make it 100x? And why BTC and not some other crypto?

What do you guys think?

3 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Future of Bitcoin

1 Like

My portfolio got back to -3k. I’m really tempted to sell some. Anyone has sold?

Been shifting some away from single stock to ETF (sold & rebought), but no net change. Single stocks are making me more nervous at the moment.
I stopped buying a month ago & won’t buy more at the moment. Yes, timing the market, but this rally doesn’t feel right, right now.

Hell no!!! Fun is only getting started.

1 Like

I will sell in 30 years :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I’ll probably start selling in 20-25 years :smiley:

2 Likes

I just checked and was surprised to find that I am 6k in plus. So even more tempting to sell for me than for you, @1000000CHF :wink:

But… I can’t retire on 6k. And I have no clue what happens next. Markets are crazy, I think they are completely underestimating the crisis. But I don’t make the market… And I am only half invested at this stage, so actually I have to buy not sell. But should I buy now or should I wait, the eternal question. :thinking:

1 Like
2 Likes

Interesting data from Bundesamt für Statistik. KW15 ended on 12 April 2020, with supposed 1200 covid-19 deaths. Yet these deaths are nowhere to be found when we compare it with previous years. Thoughts? (the Excel sheet also has an age breakdown, also there we see nothing, even in the 80+ age bracket)

You do see them there, starting from week 12. Thing is, before COVID we were looking at fewer deaths than normal, not least because we had a weak influenza season.

What COVID did was flipping us from lower than normal deaths to higher than normal deaths. Lower before COVID and higher since COVID results in about normal deaths in overall 2020, so far.

1 Like

Interesting… I can notice that 2020 has more deaths in the latest weeks when comparing to the other years. The previous years all have their higher numbers during weeks 1-10, not in 13+ like 2020. Going by https://covid-19-schweiz.bagapps.ch/de-2.html, weeks 13+ are where the COVID-deaths really started occurring.

Coincidence? Who knows. Maybe if we have the numbers for 3-4 more weeks we might see the (admittedly small so far) pattern continue.

Possible explanation: The limited activities just delayed the normal deaths by a few weeks.

If we didn’t do anything those weekly numbers would have climbed further up, probably to a couple of thousands per week.

7 Likes

I disagree. It’s statistically insignificant. Otherwise, please explain 2015 week 7-9. Some pandemic that I missed? 2017 week 13?

The current total covid-19 death count has been equivalent to 1 week of deaths and has probably been offset by fewer people dying in accidents, postponing risky surgeries, etc.

Excuse me, who are you arguing with? Did I suggest something to the contrary? So far we’ve handled the situation pretty well and we shouldn’t succumb to media exerting mass hysteria on us. At least for Switzerland, the data does not show it.

1 Like

2015 week 7-9 and 2017 week 1-5 is flu epidemic.

2 Likes