CornerTrader Questions

Yes it is! I have not executed but only simulated a trade with IB and VWRL.SW so I can’t exactly say how much cheaper it is. But I expect a combination of -0.15% and a cheaper fixed costs. Has anyone tried?

You don’t have to! I have moved funds from CT to IB in the past without selling for no cost. Just ask for a “Securities Transfer IN/OUT” form and fill it out as below. Additionally, let IB know that the funds are coming so they can accept the transfer from their side. Worked like a charm.

1 Like

I thought Cornertrader charged a fee for transfer securities to another broker (CHF 30 per position)?

Or is this only for physical securities?

I’m going to move my securities to Postfinance. The CHF 90 is quite high, but at least some trades are included in this yearly fee. Furthermore, I will be able to save the CHF 60 yearly fee for my private account.

I’ve seen that Postfinance has some kind of “Sponsored trades” offer with lower fees for certain products. Vanguard is also listed as "Sponsored partner (Link Postfinance). Does anyone know what this is about?

I’d be interested to know how it works with that 90CHF/year and the free trades. I suppose it won’t pay the taxes though.

As per the Postfinance Website:

Link to trading fees on Postfinance. Stamp duty not included AFAIK.

1 Like

Ok thanks. It meanst you still have to pay taxes on top of that credit.

This looks like CT charges 30 CHF for a physical delivery of your stocks. I always wonder if I can have my single stocks really in paper form… Has anyone ever done this?

Is it any good? How does it work? Does having stock in paper block the possibility to trade it? Otherwise what would be the point? You get your stock in paper and the next day you sell them online.

Then if a paper certificate is indeed the “original”, then what happens if you lose it? Can you reissue it at the custodian? What if you want to trade it again? So many questions :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t you use these for things like shareholders votes at general assemblies or similar ?

In theory it works like this:

1. If they are Swiss Stocks your Name can be registered with the company. This will ensure your rights to dividends, vote and participate on annual meeting
  2. you get your physical shares delivered. They may contain your name printed on it.
  3. You let in the safe, or under your mattress and avoid those horrible Fees from CT, Postfinance or Swissquote
  4. Wen you want to sell you send your paper stocks to the bank (back to CT for example) they “upload” it and you see it back on their platform for trade.
    In between you are not able to trade of course as they are no longer listed on your “online” broker

it is basically a free Depot “offline”

and yeah, if you lose it, burn it or your dog eats it…well bad luck

2 Likes

in that case i guess these stocks are still safer online. can’t imagine keeping paper worth a few hundred thousand in the safe.

Even though this is an older thread…

Pretty much everybody can get a phone line, a mailbox and/or source out some support capacity - whether it be in the U.S., India or even Switzerland. However that alone doesn’t make them “based” there, from a legal standpoint. I’d consider legal domicile or residence more relevant, in case you’re having any serious issues.

Having said that, I can’t find any evidence of any Interactive Brokers entity being “based” in Zug, that I sue or file a complaint about with supervising authorities in Switzerland.

(that is, I fail how IBKR Financial Services AG being domiciled there would be significant to me, as that’s not the company I’m having my account with. Their entry in the company register states other business activities).

In theory the IB fee is: 0.08% (min: 1.50 CHF) + 2.38 CHF
In reality it might get a bit cheaper - selling ~2400 CHF worth of SWX:XD5E costed me 4,26 CHF

2 Likes

Hi Everyone

Does anyone know why only the former of the following two ETFs seems to be available on CT? I could not find the second one. Is there something I am missing?

Vanguard FTSE All-World UCITS ETF (USD) Distributing IE00B3RBWM25 VWRL (SIX) Fact Sheet
Vanguard FTSE All-World UCITS ETF (USD) Accumulating IE00BK5BQT80 VWRP (London) Fact Sheet

And additionally: as far as I understand VT is distributing. Is there an accumulating ETF that tracks the FTSE Global All Cap index?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Why?
No help with (not) taxing the dividends, if that’s what you’re looking for. Just makes the claiming process more complicated.

My motivation is the reinvestment.

The acc. version of the Vanguard FTSE All-World UCITS ETF is probably not yet registered for distribution in Switzerland to retail customers. Hence why CT blocks this product from you.

The cheapest way at CT would be to buy
iShares Core MSCI Emerging Markets IMI UCITS ETF and iShares Core MSCI Emerging Markets IMI UCITS ETF
Or buy an fund tracking MSCI ACWI

Most accumulating funds are traded in USD which means you will need to convert CHF to USD. CT is taking an important fee on the FX.

It would be cheaper to use IB and buy VT. The transaction cost and TER will compensate the lower than owning an accumulating ETF.

You can also ask Vanguard if the accumulating funds will be open to Swiss customer soon.

I closed my account in CT. I have a IB account and even if CT was more expensive, I didn’t want to have all the funds in the same place but the prices and several other things made me take the decision.

Also, honestly, having 2 or 3 brokers is just a pain… different logins, systems, interfaces, fees, taxes…uff…

Thanks everyone for the valuable messages. I am probably going to check if Vanguard can provide me the information.

Regarding CT vs IB: I am still struggling with myself to overcome this (irrational?) fear of moving to an international brocker. But I am working on it :upside_down_face:

Swissquote is a little cheaper than CT and is more professional. They have an offices in Gland and lounges in Zurich and Bern.

1 Like