Coop, Migro, Lidl shares

Hi All,

Does anyone know how can one find stocks for coop, migro, Lidl and Aldi? Are these available in IBKR? Or any other plateform?

Also, where do you invest in consumer goods? I want to invest little in daily usage products stocks but have no idea. Anyone investing there?

Thank you

Coop, Migros, Lidl and Aldi are not public limited companies, they don’t have any shares you can buy.

4 Likes

Coop and migros are cooperative and not stock companies.

1 Like

You’ll find plenty of stocks in all markets (US, Europe or Switzerland) by doing some researches.

To name a few:

Nestlé
Ahold Delhaize
ABInbev
British American Tobacco
Carrefour
Pernod Ricard
Unilever
Costco
Walmart
PG
Coca

There are trackers too.

1 Like

What’s your investment thesis? (afaik retailers are usually fairly low margin)

1 Like

No thesis but doesn’t want to put all my eggs in one place so want to diversify little. I am
Thinking daily usage product will have a gain somehow.
I might be wrong too

What do you mean by trackers?

And thank you for sharing the names.

So what will be the benefit compared to a fully diversified index? Why not truly diversify instead of making a sectorial bet. Unless you do have a thesis why it will overperform that sounds like a very bad idea.

1 Like

I will keep your thoughts on mind. I am just researching now.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/trackerfund.asp

The „thesis“ or idea should be obvious: consumer staples are relatively low-risk and less volatile stocks. Most of the biggest companies in the sector have been have around forever (many decades), are well diversified in brands and geographically. Just as the big retailers like Aldi, Lidl and coop, they won‘t be going anywhere, not even in severe crises. Also, while competition between Lidl and Aldi, or coop and Migros, may be fierce, these retailers aren’t going to price the other one out of the market.

Investment or portfolio allocation shouldn‘t be only about margins, earnings or gains - but also about personal risk tolerance and what one personally feels comfortable with (which may very well be investing into known brands).

Which index is „fully diversified“?

Commonly cited „World“ or country stock indices are far from „fully diversified“ with regards to the actual economies they‘re named after. They‘re merely a representation of the companies listed on certain particular stock exchange(s) - but not necessarily a very good or appropriately diversified reflection of the country‘s or region‘s economy.

Poland, for example, is the fifth most populous EU country, and I‘m sure it‘s a very well-diversified modern industrial and/or services economy. Yet more than 40% of MSCI Poland is bascially banks (and insurance?).

2 Likes

OP didn’t have a thesis, did not seem to know about index funds, etc. The goal was to educate (that they should do more research at this point since there were gaps they needed to cover first).

Once we’re past that stage, we can start arguing about the fine point (whether consumer staples is good low risk investment, what is good diversification, etc.). But in my opinion there’s some baseline we first need to teach.

2 Likes

Agreed, I just gave one common and plausible (and IMO most likely), not necessarily OP one‘s.

You can become cooperative member with coop and Migros - though it‘s not really an investment.
Execept for the rebate vouchers, that is.

Yes, thanks for the clarification. Ibwas only talking about shares.

Thank you San_Francisco, I have exactly that thought in mind which you shared and I might not have thesis as I am still researching

Cooperative membership does make sense thanks