[COFFEE] Possibility of World War 3

Isn’t that a bad precedent? He might continue or worse many more countries will do that. There are many regions around the world where it could happen.

2 Likes

By the way, language isn’t the primary issue from what I understand (afaik most of Ukrain speaks primarily Russian, but it doesn’t mean that they don’t think of themselves as Ukrainian rather than Russian).
(The linguistic areas aren’t the primary differentiator)

1 Like

I strongly recommend investing 13 mins to watch the video from @dbu above (content starts at 2:08)

It gives an analysis on the Russian psyche and the threat that Ukraine could pose to Russia that I have not seen in our media

Key point is that if NATO is in Ukraine missiles would be in 5 mins of Moscow and in addition it would be relatively easy to cut off the Caucasus. Then you have to remember WW2 and Stalingrad…

4 Likes

Sure, but noone actually actively want to redraw any borders or have the military might to do so. Some extreme right-wing parties might have dreams, but these will never get realized.

Surely nothing will change within the EU and/or NATO, not sure about Africa? APAC and LATAM also seems quite stable?

Enlighten me please if I’m wrong.

Same distance from Kharkov/Kiev to Moscow can be had from all Baltic States who are already members of NATO

3 Likes

Putin stated these countries joining NATO represents broken promises - and so it is justification for Russia’s actions in Ukraine and Belarus

The video points out that security is the no 1 priority for Russia which is understandable in the light of invasions in WW1, 2 and Napoleon

Hard to justify Russia’s actions, no matter the point of view, IMVHO.

The Russian people could use the opportunity to understand why their neighbours would rather ally with NATO than Russia and maybe come to the conclusion that their government stinks and need to change it.

4 Likes

just add that Russia was an agressor first in the Napoleonic wars and then both Napoleon and the Germans lost all 3 wars against the Motherland. :wink:

3 Likes

He has, however, alienated great parts of Ukraine. I doubt that’s sustainable. Unlike the Russian-leaning separatist provinces.

I think they’ll try to set borders as wide as possible for Donbass region - and that’s it.

Predictability.

Easy to conquer a country (or parts thereof) where most people want to belong to you anyway.

Possible yet expensive and laborious to sustain grip on a country where most don’t want to be part of you.

(Western Ukraine)

4 Likes

Watch the video if you didn’t already: if the Kremlin wants to survive as an autocracy, it almost doesn’t have any choice than to stop Ukraine becoming a western democracy before it is too late

I think Russia’s actions are appalling. I don’t begin to understand the complexities of why Russia is an autocracy. Nevertheless, Putin is acting with impunity

Relevance to this forum is that perhaps we are getting nearer the point when the west realises they have to apply credible sanctions including Russian gas → huge economic damage and stock market crash

Russian commodity crisis again, like it’s 1987! :skull_and_crossbones: :rotating_light:

BTW Europe so far has said zilch. Germans said they will stop certifying NS2 on American pressure.

Appalling how the old continent let’s Ukraine down.

2 Likes

Hi guys. Sorry, I didn’t read any post in this thread, but I’ve been reading stuff on tt & fb and I saw a recurring argument being raised and I felt the need to add my few cents.

People say that the UN and EU made a mistake recognising Kosovo’s independence. It has set a bad precedent, which Putin has now used.

I just wanted to say, I think countries should serve the people, and not the other way round. If there is a distinct administrative region, which decides to organise a referendum, and the absolute majority of eligible voters want independence, such expression of will should be supported internationally. This applies to Kosovo, Crimea, Donetsk Oblast, Lugansk Oblast, Catalonia, Basque Country, Northern Ireland etc etc.

Instead, it always depends who is doing it and whose interests it serves. Then the media can spin the right narrative.

There was never a proper referendum in Donetsk and Lugansk (most people stayed home), but just looking at the demographics, I can see why there might be tensions in the region. For example, to me it’s a no-brainer that Crimea should have the right to join Russia, if it’s predominantly inhabited by Russians. I have a feeling that most people treat country borders as some game of Civilization, where our borders should be as big as possible, with no regard for the people who actually live there.

Native languages according to 2001 census: Russian

Population with Ukrainian as their native language in Ukraine by oblast (2001 census)

It is very complicated to compare any of these places because there are so many different geopolitical and historical parameters.
I don’t think language is necessarily a good indicator of which country a region should belong to. For example, it is probably safe to say that people in the western part of Switzerland would not be happy to be “merged” into France, even though they speak the same language. I have no idea what is the situation in Ukraine though…

7 Likes

Of course, I would not respect a rigged referendum. If it went down the way you describe, then maybe it wasn’t so obvious.

What you describe is very abstract. For this to fully unfold, many mistakes would have to be made on the way.

• First, the country would have to let in many people from a single origin and allow them to all settle in a single canton.
  • Then, these people would have to fail to assimilate. Their kids would have to fail to turn Swiss etc.
  • Then, either the influx, or fertility difference would have to be so high, that immigrants from a single nation would become a majority and outweigh the Swiss

I’m aware that in Western Europe there are many enclaves of immigrants from a certain origin, but I think they’re mostly limited to a single district of a city, not that they are a majority in an entire region.

But if the demographic trend continues (huge influx from Africa and Middle East, low fertility among locals), we will have to face these issues. However, I think that what is more possible is that the immigrants will be spread all over the country and they will have an influence on the whole country, rather than a specific region. Like, would I imagine France or Germany turning into Muslim states? Who knows. Continue with the refugees welcome rhetoric and see what happens.

1 Like

We can discuss western democratic principles as much as we want meanwhile Putin is laughing. The Kremlin has stated that Ukraine doesn’t deserve to exist as a country. Russia’s no 1 obsession seems to be to do what they think is best for their security

Sadly I don’t think the USA is in a position to preach to others about this. They supported Israel’s actions in the past few years [specifically: annexation of territory] despite other nations saying it was a violation of international law

Sadly US / NATOs actions often seem to be based on short term thinking. You reap what you sow :frowning:

Not just Switzerland is a good example of different languages and autonomy within their language barrier, but several regions of Europe as well. See for instance Belgium, see the 5 million Hungarians living outside of Hungary in Slovakia, Serbia, Ukraine, Romania and Croatia. Those people will fight for autonomy and the Motherland shall support them, but not support their separation from their land.

We are not trees. If someone wants to live in Russia, they can very well move across the border (I think I don’t have to explain it to all our nationalities living in CH). But these guys have not moved into Russia and with that, they have set a pledge to Ukraine, whether explicit or implicit.

1 Like

Let’s not forget their attacks on Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Syria. Always meddling in under some bullshit reasons. So now Putin tells the same stuff, raises accusations with no proof. If Americans can play that game, why not Russians?

2 Likes

don’t be so right-wing man :wink:
The fact that these countries are more welcoming doesn’t mean they are turning into a Muslim state.
Germany is about 6% of muslims, France about 9%. That means they are 90%+ old-skool continental Christians.

1 Like

to be fair, Americans never unilaterally declared parts of another country being “independent”.

They did send “peace troops”, though, to all corner of the world, I agree.