Clouds storage and backup plans

I just recently stumbled on pcloud and started to wonder fi it’s time for me to get a non-free cloud to store my documents.
I’ve seen backblaze’s backup, which is not really the same thing but it was the one I wanted to get for my data. Now that I saw pcloud I’m not sure anymore. pcloud has a lifetime offer for less than 200eur for 500gb which seems like a perfect way to store my docs and data, especially because they offer also zero-knowledge encryption.

Anyone care to share their backup strategy?
At the moment I’m using two external HDs phisically separated (two different cantons lol).

1 Like

Cloud is for me an absolute no go. My backup strategy: All my computer data is also on my synology NAS.

1. Synology NAS
  2. external HD backup of Synology-drive (encrypted)
  3. external HD backup of Computer (encrypted)
  4. external HD backup of Computer (encrypted)

1), 2) are in my house. One of 3) or 4) is in my house, the other in another place (family), I switch them occasionally to always keep an updated HD outside of my house.

1 Like

How much data do you store this way? I know scanned documents take more space than fully digital ones, but I wonder if anyone gets more than 5gb of data.

I use as well 2 external harddrives. One is at my location and the other one at a second location. I swap them 1-2 times per year.

Including the photos it is about 350 GB. Documents (scanned pdf) is quite negligible when it comes to this amount of data :slight_smile:

About the cloud: it is clear, IF cloud, then only encrypthed! And if you encrypt, I would definitely not use the encryption method offered by the cloud provider but something independent. But even with encryption, cloud is a no go for me.

I like your reasoning about why no US-cloud providers, that’s an important point. And sure, It’s always a trade-off between comfort and security. For me, your last point seem to be an excellent solution: Place a second NAS in another’s home place that you trust (and he/she can put his/her data on your NAS). Like this you’re not dependent on the cloud at all but have more or less the comfort a cloud provides. You could sync the data with NAS-software or use open source software like Syncthing (or I mean better: backup-solution!).

1 Like

As a last resort, I use AWS Glacier with my synology and AWS deep glacier with my computer. All my data is maybe around 3TB (yes I also backup the ripped Blu-ray discs) and costs me below USD 20 per month. I like the fact that I could fat-finger my stuff and not find out for a long time and still go back.

But I am happy to read about different strategies to move some of the data out of the hands of US companies

I am worried more for my data and photos and a lot less for my movies and music, especially because I have the phisical version of them, but mostly because it’s not that important if I lose all of them. The documents on the other hand are very important.
That is why I can easily put them on a usb stick and I could even carry around with me if I wish.

Side note: How do you backup your bluray? I don’t want to buy a blu ray reader for my pc just to backup them.

I agree, if not automated probably you will end up with an older version when needed.

I also use Synology which back up in an external HDD every night important docs and photos/personal videos. I am upgrading my Synology now and plan to put the old one into my parents house (another country :slight_smile: ) to automate a backup therenover the internet. Everything encrypted.

For Synology users: I have an extra layer of security whereby the encrypted folder gets unmounted everytime the power goes off. Therefore in case someone breaks in and steals my Synology when he boots (in case he manages to log in) at least the important folders will be encrypted.

2 Likes

I’m rather happy with the EU Blackblaze offering (speifically the S3 compatible B2 Cloud Storage offering). I can saturate my 100 MBit/s uplink and do incremental daily backups. No encryption tho as I don’t have anything sensitive on my NAS (well some crypto wallets but they’re password protected themselves).

1 Like

I don‘t want to take this political but…

You‘re getting it wrong: Parler was not taken down for the Republican Party existing on it. Nor for Trump himself didn‘t even have an account on it.

It was taken down due to the amount and share of violent and hate speech on it - after the US capitol had been violently stormed.

If we‘re looking „political opinion“ and free speech, I don‘t think Europe is preferable. Quite the contrary: I think Europe allows less free speech and political opinion than the US.

That said, Europe has stronger privacy laws and tends to solve issues more by due process than let them at the whim of private companies.

2 Likes

I will be a challenger, Why do you need a backup?

My job related data, the company that I work for take care.

Personal data
Mainly are photos, videos, some documents…

Photos & videos, it is nice to have some memories, but how often in the last 5-10 years did you have time to sit and have a look.

May I am a bit strange but memories are in my brain. I revised one I want. and when I will get old I will forget, but I will forget that my backup exist too

3 Likes

Personally I have lost all photos before I was 26 years old since I had no backup and they stole my laptop. This included several trips abroad as well as 1 year exchange program in another country, memories that as I grow older will for sure fade if not refreshed by photos/videos. Thankfully I managed to get some photos from that time from friends. I urge everybody to have at least one backup of photos.

Sure I don’t look old photos all the time but it is very nice to look back from time to time. And I don’t even touch the topic of kids :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I backup all my photos and documents. I do it like this:

• I have a NAS at home and all the pictures and my notes (Joplin) are synced from our phones/computers to the NAS through my self hosted Nextcloud.
  • I have a second, smaller NAS at my parents house and every sunday morning all the important data is synced from the NAS at home to the NAS at my parents house.
  • Once a month I plug one of my external USB harddrives into the NAS and it then automatically copies the data to the drive. I take this harddrive with me every time I leave the house.

For me it is also important that everything happens automatically. Synology NAS have great features when it comes to this.
The backups are also monitored through an e-mail that gets sent to healthchecks.io. Whenever a backup fails, I get a notification to my work mail address (which is not so helpful at the moment as I work from home anyways :rofl:) and on my phone (through a smart home software called Home Assistant).

Some probably think this is overkill, but I once lost all my photos and documents from many years because both of my external harddrives failed at the same time.

That does not prove your claim - nor does it contradict the official reason given by platform operators.

That’s just your personal interpretation and/or conspiracy theory.

They didn’t shut them down. The length that Trump himself was “tolerated” on their platform to spew out his baseless claims and lies about election fraud is evidence to the contrary. If they wanted to “shut down”, they would have removed him much earlier than they did. (I’m won’t be disputing that they may have been more lenient in enforcing against policy against a few left-wingers. But then, those didn’t bring on a constitutional crisis like Trump did).

Who was ever shut down for questioning Corona measures?

2 Likes

It’d be great if we took less opportunities to turn every thread into a flame sprinkled with misinformation…

Now, back to the topic at hand. I might sound simplistic and dull, but I find OneDrive’s 1TB offering through Microsof 365 great since you get Office as well (if that’s important to you). And up to 6TB with the Family package. That is why I use for the most important documents: first copy on the NAS and encrypted backup in OneDrive.

7 Likes

As much as I like reading your digressions I’d also ask if we can avoid “polluting” other threads with OT (the existing 2 are perfectly fine to discuss of these topics) :blush::pray:t2:

1 Like

The recommended backup strategy is the 3-2-1 rule:

• have 3 different copies of your data (one productive and 2 backups)
  • use 2 different types of storage media (e.g. external harddisk, local disk, nas, etc)
  • have 1 copy of your data off-site
7 Likes

That’s the best summary!

Partially inspired by the notebook choice thread.

A non-encrypted cloud storage is a no go for me. Concerning Onedrive and Google drive, if you use them as is, you are not only giving them your data, but also hand over your files on top of that. You can encrypt files yourself, but then it is difficult to access them from a smartphone for example.

I personally chose mega.nz cloud as a compromise between implied reliability of the company behind the service, non US location, encryption, usability and pricing.