CHF accounts with best interest rates: discussion

Yes, and in the long run, holding cash is a loser’s game. It’ll bleed value constantly, no matter the nominal interest rate. Just compare what a Swiss Frank got you 50 years ago, and what it gets you now. Also, we only get the shitty interest deals banks are willing to offer us, while they have access to higher rates.

Gold’s actually held up far better with inflation, but I guess it’s too volatile to hold as an emergency fund instead of cash :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

We’re on it. Just waiting for confirmation about whether it’s a separate product or a promotion for the standard Wir savings account.

1 Like

The fact that the inflation measure is backwards-looking is a very interesting point.
Let’s see how it looks like when you compensate for that by shifting the CPI data one year back:

…which is a bit different than when mixing directions:

But not that much.
As you guess, past losses won’t be compensated.
And by seeing the trend, future losses are unlikely to be compensated as well :wink:.

3 Likes

“Rückzüge: CHF 10 000.00 pro Jahr frei, darüber frühestens kündbar auf 1. März 2024 mit einer Kündigungsfrist von sechs Monaten.” The way I understand it is that is only for amounts above CHF 10’000.00. For amounts below there is no restrictions. This is at least how I understand this sentence.

1 Like

Cler now (from 1.5.) bumped to

• 0.65% basis
  • +1% for new accounts

Full conditions of the account here: Sparkonto Plus mit jährlichem Zinsbonus - Bank Cler
(note that this page isn’t yet updated; latest news on homepage)

Not yet there with WIR (at 1.8%), but good to have some upward pressure. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I am still not sure I fully understand, my German seems not to be up to par (Vorzugsgebuhr of 2% is confusing me, in combination with withdrawal limits they mention)

• If I pay in 20k
  • And want to withdraw e.g. 10k after 3-6 months
  • It’s still within the limit which doesn’t need a notice period (up to 20k with WIR)
  • Do I still need to pay any “early withdrawal” fees?

So - yes in fact? :slight_smile:

Wording on Cler conditions seems to be somewhat different yet again (compared to WIR) - how are “Rückzugslimite” defined?

Thanks for bearing with me :slight_smile:

1 Like

But if I want to withdraw 10k - which is within/below their “no X month notice required” limit (20k WIR / 50k Cler) - I don’t read it that the penalty fee applies.

I interpret the wording that the 2% penalty is only applied to amounts over the allowed limit (Rückzugslimite). :sweat_smile:

E.g. (for Cler) If I pull out 60k without notice - I pay 2% fee on the 10k which are above 50k (allowed without 6m notice).
If I pull out only 20k - no fee.

But am likely wrong. :smiley:

Hello guys, for your information, moneyland has recently published, with the latest news available online which is the best saving account to park some cash: Compte d'épargne: comparatif - moneyland.ch

I’ve discovered a lot of new bank account with this saving account comparison.

It was already linked earlier - still no WIR or Cler (latest offers)

Interesting, I thought moneyland just had to check some stuff?

On that note, here s an interesting recap I came across.
https://www.monargentmag.ch/services/taux-depargne

Note that as of May 1st, BCV will raise interests up to 0.55% (up to 25kCHF) on savings account.

3 Likes

The Bank Cler Savings Account Plus is integrated into the comparison. The bonus 1% is calculated based on projected deposits.

The WIR Bank’s Savings Account Plus is a temporary promotion (valid till next March), which is converted into a regular savings account after that. So not really a stand-alone product. It’s an excellent offer for the moment, in any case.

2 Likes

What is interesting with the WIR bank are their general terms and conditions. Among other things A1.3 says: ‘Der Kunde verzichtet in vollem Umfang auf den Schutz des Bankkundengeheimnisses’. This means literally that Wir Bank doesn’t follow the Bankkundengeheimnis.
It’s not that I want to hide something, but just interesting point in their terms and condition…

The WIR Bank was one of the first Swiss banks to contractually bypass bank customer secrecy laws. Several more have done so in the meantime.

It’s worth noting though, that similar clauses are found in the online banking and mobile banking contracts of many/most banks, and apply when you agree to use those services. What’s possibly more concerning though, are the clauses in online and mobile banking contracts by which you waive the bank’s liability for losses. But that too is pretty much standard.

5 Likes

Yeah, Bank-client confidentiality is more and more being waived through contractual clauses in the AGB (Allgemeine Geschaeftsbedingungen, “fineprint”). To my knowledge there is however no confirmation through civil court proceedings/judgments whether this practice is (removing bank-client confidentiality through means of AGB) is legal or would be upheld by courts. It’s important to read the fineprint .

1 Like

Anyone know if you still need to request access to the “Saving Account Plus” for Zak-accounts? Haven’t found any info on this.

Yes, still to be requested seperately.

1 Like

This Sparkonto Plus at Zak with 1.65% interest rate and no fees seem too good to be true. Does anyone know what is the catch here?

Asking myself the same question. So far only spotted 3 Fr. fee for deactivating account, and 20k free withdrawal limit