Cheapest "real" Credit Card

I’m thinking of moving my main account to Neon away from ZugerKB which has increased their fees this year. However I did like the Gold Viseca credit card for it being a real credit card (accepted at car rental facilities etc.). What is currently the cheapest “real” credit card? Bonus points if it’s one that supports Google Pay and eBills.

What is wrong with Cashback cards, cards from Migros, Coop, IKEA, …?

Coop supercard from TopCard.
Cashback cards and other cards from Swisscard.

1 Like

Sure the cashback cards work with Google Pay? I just tried (again) with the Amex and it’s a no-go.

Yes, but there is also a Visa/MasterCard in a set.
I have other older cards from Swisscard in Google pay.

Speaking of which, there are must be bonuses for ordering a new card. Happy to provide referral links if you want.

IKEA promises 50 CHF starting credit, but it is Cembra, so no ebill.

Probably nothing wrong with them. Which of those do support eBill invoicing and Google Pay tho?

Coop supercard from TopCard I have in Google pay and they support eBill. And I would say it even looks nice for a free credit card.

I am 99% sure that you can add Visa/MasterCard from Cashback set to Google pay, I just didn’t do it myself. Also with ebill.

1 Like

And a note about something I didn’t write yet. You can use it to pay for Reka credits when charging Reka account with 3% discount at Coop.

But to maximize Cashback, you have to pay with Cashback Amex card at Coop %)

For the cashback I’m purely using my crypto.com credit card. The only usecase for a new “credit” credit card would be the car rentals and potential emergency fund (I’d need a 10k CHF limit or so).

Sounds good, anybody with a beancount importer available for either the Coop or the Cashback cards?

Which they might not let you do. At least I was told by the coop clerk that I couldn’t use a credit card to buy Reka checks. Happy to try again in a shop where the employees might not know this rule :slight_smile:

This is correct, Coop credit card being an exception.

I have meant to use AMEX for regular shopping in Coop.

1 Like

According to this Google support page for Swisscards, only MasterCard cards are compatible.

The Coop one should work as it is a TopCard card and those are all supported.

Also jumping in on this topic. So far, I was using a VISA credit card from DKB, but DKB decided to change to debit cards now. If I want to keep my credit card, I have to pay 2.49€ per month going forward (30€ per year). I didn’t use it much in the last two years for obvious reasons, but before that I was really happy with the card.

Reading this thread, it seems that COOP supercard might be a good alternative. I would only need this card in case of emergency, if no other debit or prepaid card is working (I have neon, Revolut and Yuh).

In Germany, there’s also Barclays who are offering a credit card. This can be trained up to 30k limit.

Same here for me. Is it possible to increase the limit of COOP supercard to 10k, or do you have to increase your score to raise the limits?

I assume the COOP card doesn’t have good rates when paying abroad, but I guess I would only need it in case no other card works.

I searched the forum for credit card topics already, and there are plenty unfortunately. Didn’t really see a consensus for the best free (or inexpensive) credit card. I could also continue to use my credit card from DKB (30€ seems fair, even though I didn’t pay anything for it over the last years).

I think they will decide themselves based on your financial situation. I remember for old coop credit cards, like 5 years ago, there was a formular for asking to increase a limit, but I didn’t try. If you want more, order another free credit card.

Why so? Set of Cashback cards, I would say.

So you would order COOP supercard and maybe Migros Cumulus card? Maximum limit for COOP supercard is 10k, maximum for Migros Cumulus is 15k (from what I could find online).

I was never a fan of the cashback stuff, but ok - if it comes with the card whatever. Your set of cashback cards would include?

That’s a good point I never thought about. So you would show your COOP supercard at the cashier before they start scanning, and then pay with your Migros Cumulus card, right?

Ok, you’ve got a point. So far I couldn’t be bothered, and it just annoys me when they ask for supercard/Cumulus when I go shopping.

E-Bill is not a big issue for me, more the reputation of Cembra itself.

I have my own company, so unfortunately there are no employer fringe benefits when it comes to credit cards :wink:

I have Cashback set (using only AMEX) and Coop for (1) the case AMEX is not accepted; (2) charging Reka card in coop with 3% discount, see above.

I don’t use Cumulus card because they don’t send E-bills.

Both Coop and Migros accept AMEX, and that’s what you should use to maximize Cashback. For scanning your cumulus/superpoint number there are plastic cards with bar code (Migros code is also available as a small sticker) or codes in respective apps.

1 Like