Car Roadside Assistance

I have roadside assistance from my car insurance provider which covers assistance in most of Europe with no deductible. Since I only buy used cars, I feel it’s a good investment, as breakdowns are more likely. I already claimed on it once (got stuck in the snow), so the 40 francs I paid for the year saved me around 800.

With regards to parking insurance, it is worth knowing that the Swiss National Gurantee Fund provides some coverage for parked car damage, when the guilty party is not known. You can find some info here: Swiss National Guarantee Fund - moneyland.ch.

In my case, for a used car, I can’t justify buying extra parked car insurance, but for a new car I could see it making sense.

2 Likes

The answer might be in the details: How did it happen?

For example, if your car was parked and somebody drove into it, but you were there and recorded the accident together with the other driver, then it’s a liability event for the other party. You could then notify your insurance, but it would not be a parking accident, it would be a Vollkasko event. However, you would not end up paying anything, because again the fine print: If somebody else pays for the damage, you’re fine.

That’s what I always do: Open a Vollkasko case, give my insurance all the details of the other party. My insurance will pay my damage right away and go after the other person.

1 Like

The answer might be in the details: How did it happen?

For example, if your car was parked and somebody drove into it, but you were there and recorded the accident together with the other driver, then it’s a liability event for the other party. You could then notify your insurance, but it would not be a parking accident, it would be a Vollkasko event. However, you would not end up paying anything, because again the fine print: If somebody else pays for the damage, you’re fine.

That’s what I always do: Open a Vollkasko case, give my insurance all the details of the other party. My insurance will pay my damage right away and go after the other person.

Yes, that’s how it happened. The offender signed the amicable report. Well, he had to be encouraged but he did it in the end.

The carossier told me that I was lucky – he would have expected that I have to pay him the 1’000 CHF franchise while the two insurance companies worked it out. But I didn’t.

Bottom line, is the Mobilière just nice or could one expect the same from the cheaper insurers?

Same with mine, but: I have a button on the key to pop the trunk without unlocking the car. If I put the key in the trunk and close it, the car will stay locked. And the trunk will be closed.

Called Mercedes-Benz roadside assistance and they were great.
“Can we unlock the car remotely?” – Nope, it’s three floors below ground level.
“Can we drive you home to get the second key?” – Nope, keys to my flat are in the car.
“Ok, somebody will be with you within 30 minutes.”

1 Like

I am also with Mobiliar and I am very happy with them.

Had a chipped windshield last year and they called to tell me that if I had the repair done at one of their partner garages I wouldn’t pay the franchise, as it says in the contract. I said that I wouldn’t mind, I’d pay the 100.- because my car was due for a service and I’d have it done the same day by the same garage. I wouldn’t bother going somewhere else, sit around and wait, for 100.-, just not worth my time. The lady was like “oh ok, makes sense, whatever, we won’t bill you anyway.”

Either she was too lazy to do the extra work of billing me, or she was just nice.

I like to believe it was the latter. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Regarding car insurances, when I first arrived in Switzerland in 1999 the insurance guy from Generali told me it is OK to put “suisse” as nationality for the car insurance even though I am not.

I guess it is not legal and it would invalidate my insurance cover?

Correct, invalidate or reduce payments from the insurance.

2 Likes

Nice hack ! Question is donwe have to use the card ? And if we don’t, does they charge 1.5 CHF Anyway ?

1 Like

This is a good question. I would like to confirm this too.

Look like a great way to have Car assistance Switzerland+Europe for CHF 18 per year (1.5x12). Would be willing to learn more also (I have written them, will come back if I get more infos).

3 Likes

Thanks! We are eagerly waiting for your report Polo. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Their answer.

The AVIA fuel card is a fuel card that allows you to refuel without cash at all 550 service stations. The AVIA card for private customers also offers a free breakdown service throughout Europe. is in principle free. You will be charged an administration fee of CHF 2.50 for the monthly statement.If you do not purchase fuel in a month, this administration fee will of course also be waived.If you choose the e-Bill payment method , the administrative costs are 1.50 CHF.

I ve asked for General terms and conditions, will post when received. Didnt found them on the webpage. Can’t call them as I am abroad.

If somebody wants to try, the number they gave me is

AVIA Distribution SA

Chemin de Maillefer 36

1052 Le Mont-sur-Lausanne

Telefon 021 644 20 20

1 Like

It looks like the insurance is only active after the first paid fuel invoice.

Can be found here but i’m not sure if this is updated or not: AVIA Karte für Private | Schätzle AG

I googled translated this part:

The insurance cover can be terminated at any time without giving reasons with communication to the owner of the AVIA card. The insurance cover can be terminated, among others (but not only exclusively), if Avia finds that the AVIA private card has not been used as a means of payment since the first subsequition for a long time.