BVG-Splitting-Modell (Bâloise)

I am not insured with Bâloise. But still interested in the following:

I read the following article on NZZ about the Bâloise BVG offer (BVG-Vollversicherung). See also their press release. But I don’t really understand the explanation in the article:

Nun geht die Bâloise aber einen Schritt weiter und führt für die Jahre 2021 bis 2023 ein Splitting-Modell (vgl. Tabelle) ein, das den BVG-Kunden auch im obligatorischen Teil der Vorsorge sinkende Sätze beliebt macht. Ein Splitting, im Sinne, dass Altersguthaben und Sparbeiträge getrennt für den obligatorischen und überobligatorischen Teil berechnet wurden, hatte die Bâloise auch bisher schon angewendet.

Einige mögen sich fragen, wie es denn möglich sei, den Umwandlungssatz für 2022 für Männer mit Rücktrittsalter 65 mit 6,56% neu unter dem gesetzlichen Satz zu fixieren. Die Bâloise schreibt dazu, dass das gesetzliche Minimum in jedem Fall garantiert sei. Sollte es im Einzelfall mit dem neuen Umwandlungssatz nicht erreicht werden, stocke die Versicherung die jeweilige Altersrente entsprechend auf.

Im Prinzip sind die Anbieter von BVG-Vorsorgelösungen – wie auch alle Pensionskassen – frei, einen beliebigen Teil der im Überobligatorium liegenden Gelder zur Erfüllung der garantierten Mindestleistung einzubringen. Diese Ventilfunktion ist bekannt, doch signalisiert jetzt die Bâloise mit der etappenweisen Senkung der Umwandlungssätze sowohl im Obligatorium als auch im Überobligatorium, dass sie die jährlich wiederkehrende Umverteilung von Substanz und laufenden Anlageerträgen von den Erwerbstätigen hin zu den Rentenbezügern nicht tatenlos hinnehmen will. Die Umwandlungssätze für Frauen werden übrigens wegen des tieferen Rentenalters (64 Jahre) etwas niedriger als für Männer (65 Jahre) angesetzt.

I don’t get how this “Ventilfunktion” is supposed to work. Let’s suppose a 65 years old male retires in 2022 and has a Obligatorum of CHF 300’000 and Überobligatorium of 100’000:

Kapital Umwandlugssatz Bâloise % Rente p.a.
Obligatorum 300’000 6.56 19’680
Überobligatorium 100’000 4.76 4’760
Summe 400’000 24’440

In my understanding the “garantierte Mindestleistungen” are not fulfilled as less that 6,8% of the CHF 300’000 are paid annually. What will happen for this example person in this splitting model?

Looking forward to get some insights :slight_smile:

6.8% * 300’000 CHF = 20’400 CHF.

24’440 CHF > 20’400 CHF, so the Mindestleistungen are going to be fulfilled.

Kapital Umwandlungssatz Bâloise % Rente p.a.
Obligatorum 300’000 6.80 20’400
Überobligatorium 100’000 4.04 (effectively, variable according to % Überobligatorium) 4’040
Summe 400’000 24’440

In the end, I think, the writing’s been on the wall:
Conversion rates on mandatory pension benefits are artificially inflated by law.
Conversion rates on non-mandatory benefits are going to be decreasing.

As far as I know the 6.8% are only for the obligated amount. So if you’re a high earner, you get 6.8% for the obligated amount and maybe 2% for your over obligated amount, so you loose out. The law is only focused on the obligated amount, the rest is up to the provider.

There may therefore be an incentive to play the system by:

• Cashing out or splitting off non-mandatory benefits prior to retirement (by way of emigration, maybe even splitting off the non-mandatory part in a separate vested benefits account).

• Take up a new job shortly before retirement, in order to be covered by a pension fund at the time of retirement

• and then opting for a monthly pension upon retirement, with only minimal non-mandatory benefits

to maximise the effect from the “inflated” minimum conversion rate.

Kapital (CHF) Umwandlungssatz % Rente CHF p.a.
Obligatorum 500’000 6.80 (mandated by law) 34’000 (upon retirement)
Überobligatorium 500’000 → cash out early (invest yourself)
Summe 1’000’000
1 Like

Thanks a lot for the comprehensive answers! Very interesting!