Buy The Dip! 50% off!

In my personal opinion, the economic sanctions taken by many countries are part of the peace solution in Ukraine, the retreat of foreign capital from russian stocks and bonds is a desired aspect of this policy. Buying russian stocks as a private investor runs contrary to that.

I’m not saying private investors shouldn’t seize opportunity if they see it (though I’m strongly opposed to seizing that “opportunity” myself), but I’m saying that supporting peace in Ukraine and investing in the russian markets right now are at odds with each other. It’s like buying oil stocks while praying for a mitigation of climate change, or gold miners stocks while preaching social and environmental friendly policies.

That being said, there’s plenty of opportunities around, central banks are tightening, broad areas of many markets are cheaper than they used to be. Now is as good a time as any to invest into a broadly diversified basket of stocks.

8 Likes

Getting rid of every asset connected to Russia.

4 Likes

Well, I have a bit of a different, I would say more differentiated opinion on that: If it is moral that should make my decidisions, then I would have to think about getting rid of all my US assets immediately (or better: I should have get rid of it already for a long time)!

But I know, that this view, in these special times where there is just one single narrative dominating in the ‘Western’ hemisphere (and all the others are wrong), that with this view I will be designatde as conspiracy theorist or a lunatic or whatever.

With this in mind, I am ready for the shitstorm, come on! :wink: I will not let influence my opinion by this (as obviously even seasoned personalities do it), but only through well considered and unemotional considerations.

2 Likes

Even from an unemotional point of view, I would not invest in Russia. There are too many uncertainties and a high probability that your investment will be worth nothing in a few months. At this point it’s just speculating and hoping for the massive rebound.

3 Likes

Can we relink this to Buy The Dip! 50% off! please?
Same topic (+probably 2 others branched out)

1 Like

What part of your portfolio individual Russian stocks and ETFs on them are making? Mine is 0.

1 Like

I’m not invested in Russia at all, except if Smithson’s new investment undisclosed country is Russia, but I doubt that :slight_smile:

I should have been more clear, I was talking about the investment in Russia has a high probability to be worth nothing, not all of your investments.

Sure, and why would I have to worry that 0.3% of my stock funds will worth nothing? It is already almost 15% down since the last ATH.

I agree, there’s nothing to worry bout in this case. I’m talking about the decision about making a new investment in Russia (outside of any ETF), which is in my opinion too risky even from an unemotional point of view.

And while most of you are discussing morals and how wrong it is to have a tiny allocation of Russia in your portfolio, the Goldman Sachses and JPMorgans of the world are buying Russian corporate bonds for 10 cents per dollar: Link to Bloomberg

Note: this is neither judgement nor an investment advice

3 Likes

It’s their job. And it looks fine from risk/reward profile.

2 Likes

Agree. I guess that’s what some members of this forum also thought when thinking about investing/speculating with Russian stocks/assets. So if someone wants to truly follow through on the moral side and not have any connections to Russia in his portfolio, then I guess it’s time to also get rid of Goldman and JPM. JPM is the 12th largest holding of VT, while Goldman is 94. Pretty sure other large banks are doing the same.

1 Like

I “liked” this by accident and can’t undo it

Not going to comment other than Russia lost all possible credibility on the “alternative facts” arguments when they said the 190k troops were not for an invasion it and this is not a war but a “special operation”

Ah the so called “Joke” rated :sweat_smile: (or junk, whichever works)

I guess time will tell if it was joke bonds, or turned out to be a bargain :slightly_smiling_face:

I see, you don’t get the point what I meant… I’m not as short-sighted as you seem (the way you argue…) like nearly all of Europe is… I’m thinking a bit further back than just a few months and years. This conflict is not just about that, it’s about Geopolitics and you should take into account at least the last 30 years, better the time since WWI!

Suggest you start another thread under Coffee “Putin is right and West wrong” or other appropriate title, if you really want to argue this point

You did yourself have some understanding for Russia’s position here.

The problem now is that Russia chose the absolute worst of all the options and lost all understanding and goodwill they might have had.

2 Likes

I just don’t want to derail this thread

The reasons why Russia ended up here are complicated but their actions are still wrong

2 Likes

Hello

I’m very interested in buying russian stocks, when we start to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
I own some gazprom GDR and I was close to buy some RUS etf (lyxor) before everything went to 0.

I’m afraid to have my GDR liquidated and not transferred in moscow exchange. I’m not evern sure my broker allows russian local stocks (hard to check now as everything russian is banned).
Do you know of ETFs trading in london,ny etc… investing in moscow exchange stocks ?
I prefer to be diversified but also do not like to be at the mercy of sanctions/broker decisions.
Thank you