Best long term platform

Hi all

I am new to this forum. I am planning on investing some of my savings into an ETF. Leaving my money in a for a long time so that hopefully i have some savings for my retirement.

While I am doing some research and have many questions, my main question concerns the best platform to use in the long run.

To put it bluntly, IB seems like one of the best platforms because of lower fees but what are the guarantees the platform will still be around in 30 years and not go bust? Thus losing all the money you’ve put in the platform.
While swissquote seems more expensive when it comes to fees, does the platform offer more guarantees in terms of long term existence / viability ?

I know that none of us have a crystal ball but my gut feeling is that the swiss government would try to prevent swissquote from going bust, whereas i don’t know who would go out of their way to “save” IB in case of some cataclysmic crisis.

Any thoughts welcome :hugs:

Thanks so much !

As long as no fraud is involved, you don’t lose your securities in case of broker bankruptcy. At least if we’re simply talking about holding stocks or ETFs without margin or securities lending, the customer securities are segregated assets which won’t be part of the bankrupt estate. While you would likely lose access to your assets for a hopefully short time, you should be able to transfer your positions to another broker in case your current broker is bankrupt.

In case fraud is involved, there is limited protection for assets held in the US and the UK, see Interactive Brokers Q&A [2023] - #20 by jay. There is no fraud protection for securities in Switzerland.

5 Likes

Interactive Brokers LLC (IB) is an American multinational brokerage firm. It operates the largest electronic trading platform in the U.S. by number of daily average revenue trades.
The original organization was first created as a market maker in 1977

The financial platform Swissquote was founded in 1996. On 29 May 2000, Swissquote shares were floated on the SIX Swiss Exchange. The company obtained its banking license in the same year.

1 Like

We could also mentionned that IBKR is audited annually and you will received the reports by email.

It has also emitted shares on the Nasdaq exchanged since 2013.
https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/stocks/ibkr

Therefore it is also audited by the SEC and have paid 11.5 millions in penalty fines for not complying to some regulations on microcaps …
https://www.sec.gov/news/press-release/2020-178

IBKR chairman and founder Thomas Peterffy is the largest shareholder and 65th richestman.