Avoiding negative CHF credit interest and protecting against inflation

Fundsmith.

If you want to go for an ETF to save fees, MSCI world quality index probably gets to a similar result via a more indirect methodology.

Personally I am cautious about factor ETFs and how their algorithms might stand up in a crash. I am happy to pay Fundsmith’s fees given the long term performance. I have a high conviction in their strategy

2 Likes

SSON? Frankly, it seems more volatile, but it has no better return than VTI:

But maybe it’s too early to tell… Maybe its real value will be shown in the long-term or in the major crisis (although last year’s corona correction in march was worse for SSON than for VTI).

PS. And if you add to the comparison VT, it seems that SSON has a better return than VT, but VT is much less volatile (meaning, it has better risk-adjusted returns).

No, I believe they meant “The FEF”.
SSON (and FEET) is the “baby fund”, easier available via IBKR. :slight_smile:
And I believe SSON is not just US equities (like VTI), and additionally only small&mid cap, so not really comparable.

Btw do these charts properly account for forex? (I’d believe they do, just curious)

Which platform do you use to check ETFs charts adjusted to forex (e.g. in CHF instead of USD) ?

1 Like

So what is their benchmark? If you compare SSON to small cap value funds it looks better, but not a lot better:

Google Finance doesn’t account for dividends or forex. It’s a dumb price chart comparison.

You can check the forex by comparing eg. LON:VEUR with AMS:VEUR, the same fund trading on different exchanges.

MSCI World SMID index they say (if that exists :grin:).
Short periods to compare, for both Avantis and them.
I suppose we’ll witness on the long run and when some serious downturns hit. :slight_smile:
In your comparison you can at least see they’ve been hit much less in March 2020.

I keep a bit of all of them (AVUV/DV, SSON, FEET).

1 Like

I added the performance vs. benchmark in the Fundsmith thread

Fundsmith focuses on large caps, Smithson focuses on small - mid caps which should in theory produce higher returns over the long term but with more volatility. The fund is closed ended to limit it’s size and was created partly due to Fundsmith growing so large it could no longer invest in mid size companies. Dominos Pizza was quoted as one example. I am gradually opening a position in Smithson via DCA, I am proceeding with some caution since SSON only has a 3 year track record.

1 Like

I own VYM and VYMI.
Also a lot of VTV (US Value).
I try to make VTV+VYM = VYMI to keep a 50% US vs Ex-US

1 Like

Just one tangential aspect – be careful that leverage is one of the criteria to potentially make you a professional investor (with capital gains tax obligations).

Example how inflation can be positive for some companies: P&G profits beat expectations in large part due to price increases

Do you know any ETFs that track the banks index? I couldn’t find any… :frowning:

I don’t think so…

I don’t think there are can be an ETF on regional swiss banks, they are too small and not very liquid. You can make a portfolio by yourself. I quickly checked and they should be available in Degiro, some are available in Yuh. But some have very expensive share price (ZUGER KB N 7’020.00), and I wouldn’t buy SNB or Cembra. Here you have to do selection yourself, unfortunately.

Thanks, but they are all cheap, p/b around 1 or even lower. Zuger has a p/b of 3 and a pe of 17 I think. So also very cheap. I put some limit orders into IB of the ones that are fairly liquid (SG, BL, VD, LU) but there is barely any movement in the price and the spread is too big, which is the whole point though because I want some low vol equity.

BCV is the second biggest cantonal bank in Switzerland and largest being traded, ZKB is not. So more a mid cap. Others are really something, I looked at ZGKB - the price is flat for 7 years except of a 10% Corona-dip.

I wish you patience with your limit orders, I think you will need it :laughing:

Thanks for sharing. I was at the preliminary stages of considering adding Cembra to my portfolio of individual Swiss stocks, can I ask why you’d exclude it from your hand picked pannel?

First, I am not buying myself anything that is discussed above, just sharing my thoughts on the topic. And the idea was to buy shares of regional and cantonal banks with a very predictable cash flow mostly from credits. Which Cembra, being in SMIM, is not for me. I would also question Vontobel, they are more like in financial derivative business.

PS: BCV is also a mid cap, but I think their business model is more of traditional credit giving type.

1 Like

PPS: but you can pick it, of course, I think your goal is different.

Thanks, I was just wondering if you had reasons to doubt the future of the bank, or of its stock as an investment, beyond the considerations you had stated, this answers my question and I’ll dive deeper into the fundamentals of the bank before making any decision.

My own search is geared toward investing in stocks for which I can exert my voting rights while still getting some sort of diversification if I may (nothing that can ever compare to a diversified ETF, though), so not really on the topic of protecting against inflation or market downturns.