I’m starting my investing journey and educating myself on this topic before making a decision. While reading through the forum there’s compelling arguments in favor of investing in VT using IBRK while residing in CH (low TER, diversification, claiming back the withholding tax, etc).
But if the plan is to leave Switzerland within a few years to a EU country where distributing ETF are less tax efficient, I wonder if it makes sense to start investing in VT while in CH instead of an accumulating ETF like VWCE (as example)?
- Planned investment no more than 20-30k
- EU national on B-permit (might become C); <30 years old
- Not sure about the next country (assuming EU); probably moving within 2-3 years
- Not possible to keep buying VT in the EU
- Couldn’t find confirmation if claiming the tax back is possible with a B-permit and total dividend amount below a certain threshold
- Also a chance of relocating to a different canton soon due to job change
Given the circumstances, is it worth the effort to start buying VT now and attempt to claim back the withholding tax? Is there a minimum investment amount that would justify it?