All about Revolut

Btw, it’s just called “Wise” now. I know, marketing :smiley:

I usually do.

In this, I hadn’t had Revolut’s new pricing figured out. Also, the transaction would have been almost instantly throughout:

• SEPA to Revolut = SEPA Instant Transfer
  • Currency exchange = doesn’t need to settle (as opposed to IBKR, I believe)
  • GBP to TransferWise = Faster Payment

It is - but TransferWise (my recipient account) doesn’t like / support transfers from brokerage accounts.

I know :wink:

I’ve even indicated in my first few points after the rebranding. I’m lazy though, I think TransferWise is a more distinctive name that is more convenient to google/search for - also, the company is officially (AFAIK) still called TransferWise.

1 Like

I have a quick question: let’s assume you have a main CHF Revolut account with another account in USD. If someone is sending you 2000$ to your USD account via the info given by the app (swift if I’m not wrong) based on the IBAN + BIC.

1. Will there be some fees? Who pays and how much?
  2. Does it count in the 1250.- limit?
  1. Possibly. SWIFT transfers usually cost money, and the exact fees / costs can be unforeseen, due to intermediary banks
  2. Why should it? Revolut does change for currency exchange but not for receiving money, do they?

Thanks for the answer!

1. Could it make sense to give the CHF account and have a double-conversion? Could this be cheaper?
  2. I think it should not, but with the new fees of Revolut, I was just wondering.

Would wise be a better option?

I’m going to Bosnia on holidays, the BAM/KM is not supported for the currency exchange in the app.
On their website they state:

If you need to spend in another currency you cannot hold with Revolut, just pay or withdraw cash using your Revolut card. We’ll automatically convert it to the appropriate currency.

But they don’t specify at what exchange rate this automatic conversion happens. Is it still the interbank exchange rate? Or something closer to the mastercard exchange rate?

(Btw, @Cortana do you use Revolut when you’re in BiH? Do you happen to know how well it is supported? :slight_smile: )

It’s still the interbank exchange rate as far as I know. KM is linked to EUR, the exchange rate is always fixed. 1 EUR = 1.95 KM. So you are literally paying in EUR.

1 Like

Hi,

I m occasional user of Revolut, mainly when travelling or a few EU-transfers to my family in France.

I used to top up my Revolut CHF from a Visa credit card in CHF, and then convert. 0 fees from Visa until recently.

Since May, I now get charged 1.5% by Visa on each transaction, as the transaction is now operated by “Revolut London”, considered by Visa a foreign transaction even though currency is CHF.

Contacted Revolut but no answer yet (poor customer service).

So I don t really see the point of continuing using Revolut, if I m anhow getting charged 1.5% by Visa.

So questions I hope you can help me with:

• Anyone would know why it has changed (brexit?)
  • Any recommendation to top up your Revolut CHF at no fees? (simply)
  • Any alternative to Revolut?

Thanks a lot
Anne

2 Likes

You don’t get charged by VISA - you get charged by your credit card issuer (such as Swisscard, Viseca, etc.). The latter sets exchanges rates and surcharges.

Revolut may not have changed their mechanist location - your card issuer could have changed the way they are charging for CHF transfers (they may have used to charge for transactions abroad but could have made exceptions, especially for cases where consumers weren’t aware that a merchant was located abroad when charging in CHF).

It likely hasn’t got to do anything with Brexit, since Swiss issuers usually only distinguish between domestic and foreign transactions, not EU/EEA vs. non-EEA.

You can top up Revolut for free by making a domestic bank transfer in CHF to their account at Credit Suisse.

Wise?

4 Likes

Thank you very much for your kind answer.

Indeed, checked deeper my Viseca bill and it is Viseca related as other transactions with suppliers got the same fee - AirBnb, Easyjet etc. God, just did not realise until now.

I m not so familiar with Wise, will research that - thank you. Was considering Neon as replacement to Viseca and top up Revout. 0 fees for international payment.

I switched from revolut to neon and I am happy so far.

2 Likes

PostFinance CC is still free

1 Like

Swisscard cashback card is also free for me

2 Likes

I’d ask Viseca why. There might be an error. I think transactions with merchants and transaction with banks are different for the same reason you don’t get cashback by transferring money to revolut.

1 Like

Charging Revolut free with:

Supercard CC
PostFinance
Cumulus (new)
Cembra Certo
Cashback CC
UBS

These are the ones I know of. There may be others.

You don’t get any points or cashback, though.

Call Viseca and threaten to cancel. This might help.

4 Likes

Let’s say I have in my Revolut account 1k CHF and 1k PLN. If I purchase something in Germany in EUR that cost 10 EUR, for example, from which account Revolut will take the money or will make the conversion?

1 Like

If you are a Swiss resident, CHF I guess.

1 Like

Not sure if this is the right thread to speak about this. If not, please feel free to split it into a new one.
I am a user of Revolut, mainly for holiday expenses abroad. Today I found this article which scared me a bit.

Inside paradeplatz is not the most reliable information portal but they put in a link to the financial times. Unfortunately, I do not have an account for FT and could not read the original article.

What do you think about this? Is it time to check for alternatives?

1 Like

In my case it would take it from the CHF balance. But you can convert to PLN so it will take it from there as long as you have a balance.

If you want to keep some currency, you can temporarily add it to a Vault. The funds there are not used for payment until you withdraw from the Vault

1 Like

I am not moving away from Revolut based on some news. In case you want a backup, Check Wise. DM me for a referral code.

2 Likes