3rd pillar investment solution from VIAC

Hello all,

First post here. Fascinating. Thanks a lot for all the posts!

I’m starting to my review of my situation by looking at pilar 3a. After a lot of reading remains one question that I have not seen.

The lump sum tax is highly dependent on canton and it does not depends on where I would live when I cash in, but on the canton of the financial institution as I understood.

So which canton is applicable for VIAC? The canton of the WIR bank? In that case it would be Zürich, not the best at all?

Is there a way to transfer pilar 3 accounts between banks / cantons a few years before cashing in (assuming legislation do not change much…)?

Anybody assessed this?

Thanks !

This is only for the tax at source if you’re no longer resident in Switzerland. (Which also assumes you’d be declaring it in the country where you’re now resident).

Otherwise the tax rate used is based on the canton you reside (like most income in Switzerland).

1 Like

This.

Viac is located in Basel, Frankly in Zurich and ValuePension in Schwyz.

Yes, one day prior will be enough for the taxes. But as the others have already stated: It is only relevant if you life abroad, and also only if it is in a country without double taxation treaty that would allow you to get that tax back anyway.

Much more important is splitting: Make sure you have at least two accounts to draw from in two years, potentially even up to five accounts for maximum optimization.

Thanks for the answers, so it’s quite flexible (as I’m planning to stay in CH). And yes thanks, already aware of the splitting, thanks to this post and the great overview from nugget ! It takes 2 minutes to create additional accounts in VIAC, really practical. Cheers

As with other withholding taxes withheld at source, it is refundable for (being resident of) many countries, depending on the applicable double taxation agreement.

If refundable, the withholding tax rate - and thus domicile - of the vested benefits instituion is irrelevant.

I think that should read in a country with double taxation treaty that allows for a refund.

As far as I know, if there’s no DTA covering pension fund lunp-sum benefits, Swiss withholding tax is final, as far as Switzerland is concerned - though you might still be (doubly) taxed in your country of residency.

You are eligible for a refund of withholding tax only if the applicable DTA allows so.

1 Like

Fully agree with everything you wrote. My statement is identical, it’s just worded a bit complicated :wink:

Main difference between the equity offerings of Franky and VIAC is hedging.

Yea, it helped in the near past, but is generally not recommended for stocks.

Hi there
I’m also at a point in life where I want to cancel my Life-Insurance (Baloise) and switch over to VIAC.
Vermögenszentrum (VZ) was also an option, because I already have my ETF’s there and they are realy cheep compared to others. But für Pillar 3a, VIAC is much cheeper then VZ, therefore I want to give it a try.
Could someone share an unused referal code with me?
I could, of cource, share my as well.

Many thanks
Alex

1 Like

EDIT BY MODERATION: code deleted, see below.

Also, welcome to the forum!

You didn’t post a thing in 2020 and suddenly you come back for posting your referral code? Dude…

@ahau78

1 Like

Hello xy

VIAC celebrates its birthday soon and launches a new feature:

As of tomorrow, VIAC customers will automatically receive insurance coverage against disability or death without additional fees. Thanks to the free risk insurance for disability or death, you receive up to 25% in addition to your already saved pension assets in the event of a claim!

Tomorrow evening - 29.10.2020 - you will be able to see your personal insurance level in your VIAC App and in the VIAC Web-App. For every CHF 10’000.- invested in securities, you as a VIAC customer automatically benefit from CHF 2’500.- disability coverage (standard)! For the base protection you have the possibility to switch between the risk of disability and the risk protection in case of death.

With VIAC Life base protection we would like to give all VIAC customers a part of our success back and offer you an even better pension solution, true to our motto: “Creating added value for our customers”.

Thank you for your support and good health to all of you.

Best regards

Team VIAC

Just received this. To be honest - I don’t like it. Instead of wasting money and resources on integrating Insurance stuff that I don’t want I would have preferred for them to just lower the TER. It seams lowering costs is not their goal. Therefore I will probably switch everything to Finpension soon.

6 Likes

They probably aren’t even profitable enough to pay their own salaries. 160M AUM x 0.005 is merely 800k revenue. Assuming, generously, 50% margin, 400k profit - that’s barely 2-3 employees. What kind of cost cutting can you even talk about?

Totally useless feature. I have my 2nd pillar for that.

In case anyone needs a referral code: ICUkcvJ

Well, obviously they have money left to burn on completely useless features that nobody asked for. At least I can’t imagine why somebody would have their 3a with VIAC and say “hey, you know what, I would like to have some free (?) and redundant insurance from you guys”.

They should have used the money to lower their overall TER.

This does not look good. I will watch them and their competitors closely but VIAC doesn’t seem to go the right way right now.

1 Like

My thoughts too. Why don’t they just ask the community what we would like to see in the future? @VIAC_Daniel

Is there actually an insurer involved? it sounds like they could very well be self insured, this is such a low risk, low fraud, low administration event, with pittance payouts as well. demographics is also in their favor, mostly younger people would be interested in their product who don’t die that easily

I just logged into the web interface but couldn’t find any info yet.

Either way, this is “look, we’re spending efforts (and most likely money) on crap that you didn’t even think you would want from us, because our competition is getting tougher and we ain’t got no clue what to do about it”.

1 Like

Given the risks and amounts, involved I can’t imagine it costing more than a few franks per account (1M lump sum death insurance is on the order of 300-1000 Fr/y depending on demographic). That’s how cheap they are. And that’s fully loaded cost with profit margins and admin for an external insurance. Self insured with large risk pool will be cheaper

Yes, it’s pretty much just cheap PR around a worthless insurance

1 Like