3a solution from Finpension

Finpension places orders on second trading day of the week, so this time it should be Wednesday. Check again?

Yep, mea culpa. Second banking day of the week is dynamic. I’ll edit the original post.

1 Like

I’m currently at 99% with CSIF (CH) III Equity World ex CH Quality - Pension Fund DB @0.13% TER.
I’m looking to implement 2 changes and seek some feedback.

1. Lower TER
Swisscanto (CH) IPF IIndex Equity Fund World ex CH NT CHF is at 0% TER. Could that replace the above CSIF fund I’m invested in while saving on fees? Any downsides?

2. Bonds
I’m looking to start adding more bonds to my portfolio. Which total world bond options would you recommend? I’m potentially looking into a mix of traditional bonds and corporate bonds. I’m also unsure of the differences between ZB, ZBH and ZBH ESG.

They are not equivalent.

Sure it can, but it will be a different basket of stocks.

1 Like

Do you mind sharing what is different? I’m looking for a total world index (similar to VT). Both seem to track global equities (exc CH)

See posts by ICantSurf and AnarquiaJoker (among others) and me just above.
As well as this thread that you yourself started a couple months ago.

99% Quality Crew :raised_hands:

1 Like

So you are invested in a factor fund and you don’t know about it?

https://am.credit-suisse.com/content/dam/fund-related-documents/sales-prospectus/F210724000708253301.pdf.funddocument.pdf/content/dam/fund-related-documents/sales-prospectus/F210724000708253301.pdf/CH0220919085_CH_EN_PR_2020-12-22.pdf

page 12 and following. All CS shares class are described. Google is your friend :slight_smile:

1 Like

So you are invested in a factor fund and you don’t know about it?

I forgot about it, truthfully. I max my pillar 3 yearly but most of my investment is in a taxable account.
I don’t think it was a mistake and believe it might have been the best option at the time when Finpension was created. With new options now I would like to re-assess and potentially move away from 0.13% TER quality to a more “traditional” market cap weighted world index, which Swisscanto seems to offer at 0% TER.

If that’s what you want, the Swisscanto fund indeed seems to be a good choice.

Just checked with Finpension the following inconsistency, in case someone was wondering:

Swisscanto (CH) IPF I Index Equity Fund World ex CH NT CHF
Factsheet says 100% foreign currency.

Once you add the fund to the portfolio, it says 80% foreign currency.

Answer from Finpension about this discrepancy:
So basically the 80% as shown in the portfolio were wrong and 100% is correct.

4 Likes

Another question re. CSIF vs. Swisscanto:

Finpension writes:
" Die Ausgabe- und Rücknahmekommissionen dürfen nicht verwechselt werden mit den Ausgabe- und Rücknahmespreads. Der Spread ist die Spannweite zwischen Kauf- und Verkaufskurs.

Steht im Factsheet neben dieser Prozentzahl die Anmerkung «verbleit im Anlagevermögen» oder etwas ähnliches, ist der Fall klar. Dann handelt es sich nicht um eine Gebühr zur Deckung der Kosten der Fondsverwaltung."

→ Now, CSIF says “verbleibt im Anlagevermögen”, Swisscanto does not. Does this mean there’s a fund management fee in terms of loads (buy-in/buy-out)?

Maybe someone can help with this:

I own the usual global market cap weighted funds at Finpension. All funds are accumulating. Nevertheless, in “Transactions”, Finpension indicates “dividends and interest yields” that have been paid out.

a) Why is that?
b) Finpension costs are 0.39. But my dividends received are equal to 3a costs, although dividend yirld should be much higher (i guess approx. 2%)

Has anyone else made the same observation with their 3a portfolio?

Accumulating funds also get dividends from their securities, but they reinvest them immediately.

By the way: The same applies for distributing funds, but on the day of distribution, they sell shares in order to cash out the money to investors.

These are reimbursements for Swiss withholding taxes. You get 35% of the total dividends in cash.

2 Likes

I see, thanks, very much appreciated :+1::blush:!

So basically dividends are 3x, but only 1x is indicated in transactions

1 Like

These are reimbursed L1 withholding taxes. Normal dividend get reinvested. But before that, there is L1 withholding tax from the respective country (not only Switzerland). Fund share classes that are reserved for pension funds and benefit from reduced L1 tax request reimbursement of overpaid taxes. Those are then distributed as cash even though the shares are accumulating.

2 Likes

As far as I know, there is no reimbursement of foreign L1 withholding taxes (or at least nothing that would be visible in your transactions). E.g. CSIF World ex CH - Pension Fund Plus. Gross dividend last year was CHF 22.392 (that’s after deduction of reduced L1) as per ICTax - Income & Capital Taxes and the reimbursement is CHF 7.84, which is exactly 35% because it’s reimbursement of Swiss withholding taxes.

3 Likes

Hoi zame

Took some time to play around with replicating Developed world ex US (cca “VEA”) allocations (using Swisscanto funds).

Challenge is, as always, with South Korea (i.e. FTSE vs. MSCI indices):

• It is a part of VEA (3.76%)
  • But it is a part of Finpension/Swisscanto/CSIF’s “Emerging markets” funds (with 11.30%)

So, with accepting the fact of missing South Korea in allocation (and adapting the 100% to dropping it), I came out with following approximate proportions.
Any differing outcomes, if you analyzed the same? Open for discussion.

Share (100/VEA) Fund Comment
51.18 Europe ex CH NT CHF
8.43 Switzerland Total (II) NT CHF II - no sec. lending
9.93 Canada NT
19.60 Japan NT
10.86 Pacific ex Japan NT CHF

P.S. How would you handle S. Korea, if you would target to have VTI+VWO in taxable, VEA in tax-deferred accounts?
Worth losing sleep over? :slight_smile:

P.P.S. On VIAC it gets a bit more problematic, as they require to have a % of assets in CHF/hedged; and not able to shoot the Europe ex CH fund above 35%.

1 Like

In viac, you could select msci world hedged in chf .
It will allow you to take different etfs invested in other currency.

1 Like