3a solution from Finpension

Paid by the fixed annual fee, just like broker-employees.

And maybe, if really necessary, some tiny trading fees, for those of us who want to trade a lot with their retirement funds (not me certainly :grin:). But to be honest, trading fees are a thing of the past to me, see IBKR. They’ll soon have to disappear in Switzerland, we pay way too much for Swissquote etc.

1 Like

Are you mixing up custody fees and trading fees, because you still pay trading fees at IBKR.

Also you can’t compare buying single securities/ETFs at IBKR with buying active mutual funds at a foundation. There’s a lot of work involved with funds sold at foundations, there are managers picking the investments, they have to comply to countless laws and regulations, there’s fund accounting to be made, rebalancing for mixed funds, marketing material to be prepared, etc., etc. In addition the volumes traded are lower as well as each individual can invest only up to a few thousands a year.

2 Likes

The main justification for high fees is the fact that people pay them. Because many don’t know that they are paying them.

1 Like

In the US, if you invest with Vanguard in a 401k the fees are 0.10% for a total market index.

In Europe, funds have always been more expensive due to regulation and smaller funds. The total market fund fees of Vanguard UK are 0.24% and 0.15% for managing the account.

Obviously, I would love to pay less but the fee la of Finpension are competitives.

2 Likes

Coming back to the Swisscanto vs. CSIF-topic: Great analysis, @Dr.PI !

This I didn’t quite get (maybe because I’m about to fall asleep :crazy_face:). Why shouldn’t you hold US stocks at ginpension?

And is there any update on finpension covering for CSIF-fees?

Because you are going to do better holding there the rest of the world.

3 Likes

I currently hold CSIF’s funds in the “total world market cap” proportions.

Attempting to switch to

• “non-US” arrangement, i.e. hold all (or at least most) of the US equity outside of 3a (as the rest of the world is more fitting in these tax-delayed accounts)
  • Swisscanto bunch of funds

Seems that will require dangling with a plethora of funds:

• EM
  • Europe ex CH
  • Switzerland
  • UK
  • Canada
  • Pacific ex Japan
  • Japan
  • (plus Small caps)

I know the exact weights depend on the rest of our non-3a-portfolios; but has anyone done the numbers to define their “ideal” weights among these?
(If not, I will try and contribute with mine over the next weekend)

Cheers!

1 Like

I haven’t but this should be simple to calculate using https://marketcaps.site/, at least if you don’t split World Small Cap.

5 Likes

Yes it is.

Included in

2 Likes

Hi everyone

I’m looking for simple portfolio for a Finpension vested benefit account. I dont want to use the Credit Suisse funds, due to the companies current reputation. I dont really care if I use the Swisscantos or UBS funds. Time horizon would be 30+ years. I have thought about something like this:

80% Swisscanto (CH) IPF I Index Equity Fund World ex CH NT CHF

20% Swisscanto (CH) Index Equity Fund Switzerland Total (I) NT CHF

I’m aware that there are different opionions about the home bias;)
Does the IPF mean that the world ETF is for institutional pension funds and has therefore for example no withholding tax for US equities?
Any other remarks?

Cheers

Hello everyone,
I was looking to create a strategy with only cash, and change it next year.
It seems not possible to have just cash and the only option is this one:

Did someone try the same?

1 Like

That’s correct, you can’t hold cash at FInpension, the alternative is a money market fund.

6 Likes

In the finpension app you need to change just the strategy, right?
Have you tried to convert what you had with CS or just moved to one of their fixed strategy?

Well, I have never used standard strategies and I basically have only funds that together build MSCI World ex US ex CH. So I just replace CSIF funds with Swisscanto analogs, e.g. for Japan, Europe ex CH etc.

Have checked their website and I see what you mean.

I agree with you that deal with CS at the moment and in the future is not that great.
I like finpension so far, so Swisscanto seem a good alternative.

Right now I have:

CSIF (CH) Ill Equity World ex CH Blue - Pension Fund Plus ZB 77.3 %
CSIF (CH) Equity Emerging Markets Blue DB 11.8 %
CSIF (CH) Ill Equity World ex CH Small Cap Blue - Pension Fund DB 9.9%

What do you think about these “conversion”?
Swisscanto (CH) IPF I Index Equity Fund World ex CH NT CHF
Swisscanto (CH) Index Equity Fund Emerging Markets NT CHF
Swisscanto (CH) IPF I Index Equity Fund Small Cap World ex CH NT CHF

2 Likes

Yes, these are equivalent funds.

2 Likes

For the 2nd pillar, Finpension’s offering UBS-funds in addition to CS and Swisscanto:

https://finpension.ch/de/freizuegigkeit/strategien/ubs/

How do these compare to CS / Swisscanto? Any advantages?

Also wondering why they’re offering UBS only in 2nd pillar, but not in 3a?

1 Like

I don’t get this fear of CS.
What is the reasoning behind it?

Assets in funds are completely separate from bank’s assets.
IMHO, this is micromanaging an irrelevant aspect of your portfolio.

3 Likes

I think it it’s more about the moral than a rational fear of CS…

2 Likes

CSIF Emerging Markets: Rückgabespread of 0.65? So that’s what I’m going to pay to switch to Swisscanto? Seems a little elevated…

1 Like