3a solution from Finpension [2023]

I wasn’t aware that I could actually pick the funds, I thought it was only picking the right strategy goals. However, now I have contributions in a portfolio with mixed funds. Can I easily remove and add funds to my liking? Or is it too late and I should just create a new portfolio and just use that instead next year? I saw that I can change strategy of the current portfolio, but I’m afraid it will cause problems (or just decrease by switching) as they have already used the contributions.
Also, I saw this in another thread, is doing VT-like, the recommended way to go about it?

1 Like

You can change strategy for an existing portfolio to customised, choose individual funds, and it will sell and buy shares accordingly at the next rebalancing date. There is no problem, just a minuscule cost.

This is all you need.
And the chart speaks for itself. :raised_hands:

(At least… I wouldn’t bet against it - would you?)

5 Likes

Cheers! It was a a quick and easy change it seems.

Though reading that link of yours, I fell down that rabbit hole If I was an investor and am now questioning VT being too broad.

I’d consider deactivating rebalancing. I think this makes sense due to spreads. In case of Swisscanto, I’m not sure if there’s even loads to pay.

2 Likes

If I adopted the customized 1 fund strategy recommended above I suppose there isn’t any need to disable the rebalancing option? Or would they actually change my customized strategy?

They will rebalance the 1% cash, I believe.

Newbie question: does each portfolio in Finpension represents a new account? If not, can I split a year’s 7000 into multiple portfolios ? Thanks!!

You can split. But the benefits are greatly exaggerated.

Yes, it’s a good idea to contribute to more than one account/portfolio, because you can’t split later. And you may still be able to save taxes by staggered withdrawing later.

But contributing to multiple portfolios in the same year is unnecessarily overcomplicating it. You can contribute to one portfolio per year (until you‘ve opened a couple) and then rotate between them on a yearly basis.

PS: I shouldn’t really have called it “exaggerated”. Splitting your funds is a good idea that I’d definitely encourage you to do - but also do it across more than one foundation and fund (issuer), to spread the risk. But the benefits of doing it in the same year are nil. Especially to the same foundation.

I’ve done it a couple of times though to open up or contribute a minimal amount to a different 3a account. Either for curiosity’s sake, or to scoop up a promotional offer (such as the CHF 120 cash promotion for opening up an Inyova account trough Neon).

2 Likes

Yes.

Yes.

I saw a rule of thumb for 3a accounts that makes sense from my point of view: stop contributing when you have reached 50k. Should make your life simpler for 30 years or so. :laughing:

I transferred some money into Finpension from my normal bank and got 3CHF surcharge. I wonder is this a usual transaction fee for incoming fund ?

No there should not be any fee from the side of finpension. Did you transfer it using QR code with a reference? I can imagine that they add some surcharge if the transfer is not assigned automatically. Otherwise it is probably a fee from the side of your bank.

I never had a fee for a transfer to finpension.

Yes I used the QR code with reference. It could be the charge from my canton bank. I need to ask. Just curious if any other bank will not charge the transfer fee?

1 Like

My cantonal bank did not charge me anything for transferring funds to Finpension.

With bcge, it was 100.- by 3rd pillar to close.

1 Like

Okay, now, what do you mean exactly by transfer? Paying in your yearly contribution by transferring money from a checking account (this is what I meant) or transferring money from another 3a foundation to finpension?

it is the transfer for annual contribution - cash

Hallo zusammen

I have a question:
want to open Säule 3a via Finpension and replicate the MSCI World with an individual strategy.

What difference does it make if the fund is hedged vs. non-hedged (Fremdwährungsanteil 100% vs 0%)?

Also, would the replication with CSIF World ex CH Blue and Switzerland Total Market Blue replicate the MSCI World? (when I get the % correct)

Do I have to worry about some additional paperwork/tax implications/additional fees with this strategy?

Thank you for any help!

1 Like

This thread may be helpful: How do you hedge your currency risk?

I would say the general consensus is that passive long-term investors shouldn’t hedge equity funds. Vanguard follows the same philosophy (if I remember correctly, they don’t offer any hedged equity index funds).

Yes, that combination should track MSCI World. It presumably includes additional Swiss small caps but the impact is likely insignificant. With additional index fund(s) you can also track MSCI ACWI or MSCI World IMI, if you prefer.

No, these two index funds have 0% TER at finpension (i.e., the fund management fee is covered by the overall finpension fee). Dividends in 3a are exempt from taxes and no declaration/paperwork is required at all (besides the 3a contributions to get the income tax deduction). And at least for CH, US and JP companies, there aren’t even any withholding taxes with these funds in 3a (or they are automatically refunded to your 3a account).

2 Likes

Finpension have added some institutional funds from UBS. For now equity funds are for Switzerland, MSCI World ex Switzerland, and MSCI Emerging Markets only.

2 Likes

Any “outperformers” compared to the respective CS/Swisscanto funds for the new UBS funds? I remember the Swisscanto EM fund compared favorably to the respective CS EM fund