1000000CHF's Journal

Thanks @Mobius! On Tuesday I’ll move our numbers to CoopMobile. :slight_smile:

Great to see your motivation to optimize your budget!

One thing I also started doing soon after arriving in Switzerland was to store and change my own tires, after my local tire shop made a mistake putting on the winter tires and acted too casual about it (I figured I could do it more responsibly than them, and for a lower price). I just bought a very comfortable jack for 65.- in ricardo.ch, as well as a dynamometric wrench for around 35.- (to make sure I didn’t put too much pressure). Now for the foreseeable future I’ll recoup those costs and much more - takes me now around 30 minutes to switch the tires.

1 Like

If you do it until July, 21st you get an extra 3000 Cumulus points.

1 Like

Thanks @Erma for the info!

Thanks for another great advice @Mobius. I’m not bold enough to change my tires alone, but friend of mine is a professional driver - maybe he could help me with that. That’s pretty good idea. Car is definitely one of the biggest expenses in my budget and I have to figure out how to minimise these costs.

Welcome in Zug :slight_smile: We can consider to found a Zuger Mustachians club here soon :))))))))

1 Like

Cool idea! Maybe we should start regular meetups at metup.com? We could invite here for a meetup Zuricher Mustachians (for instance @Julianek is living not far from us). :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m in :slight_smile: I like the idea :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cool! I’d vote then for next Saturday evening as a first meeting. Do you have any good ideas on where we could orgnise this? The only two pubs I know in Zug are Bären and Mr. Pickwick (the second one though might be pretty crowdy).

@Julianek would you like to join? Do you know if anyone else from Zurich/Zentralschweiz who could join us?

I’m in as well :slight_smile:
I think the best was to find out who might be interested is to create a dedicated topic in the “meetup” section of the forum :wink:

1 Like

Potential savings I see here!

Hey, @1000000CHF, list your place on Airbnb and rent a room from time to time, that will help you optimize that

That’s quite high! …to put things in perspective, that’s the equivalent of 325 beers. If you’re a beer drinker Aldi beer is the best pilsen in Switzerland (0.45 CHF) and it’s actually produced by “feldschlösschen”

Do you know Duolingo
235 x 12 = 2,820 p/y :cold_sweat:

Do you know “Caritas” or “RedCross” they have an amazing library, I have found some very interesting books for pennies

Go with Migros and accumulate points = money

Good luck!

1 Like

In my experience, Duolingo is very good for starting a language. However, you won’t reach a level farther than A2 using it. And is does not make you actually speak the language, which is the most important.
Now for actual german lessons, Migros School is very expensive. The best I’ve seen so far is actually in Skype lessons, on platforms like Italki or assimilate. It is possible to find something around 10-15Fr./hour.[quote=“Mr.HdLR, post:18, topic:312”]
Books 60 – I’m addicted to book collecting

Do you know “Caritas” or “RedCross” they have an amazing library, I have found some very interesting books for pennies

[/quote]

+1. Do you need to own these books or just read them? In Zürich the Zentralbibliothek is outstanding and totally free. I am sure you have similar library in Zug. On other option that i particularly like is having a second hand kindle coupled with Library Genesis. I am a big reader as well and it totally smashed my reading budget.

1 Like

Done:

Hey @Mr.HdLR! I’d love to, but my falt has only one bed room (and we’re occupying it). End of the year I’ll be looking for another flat, I might take a bigger one, as we’ll have a baby then. But before baby will grow up a bit, we might rent his room on Airbnb.com. I have to consider that.

Yup, this month was pretty bad in these terms. Every weekend this month we had guests from Poland and every weekend included: coffees while visiting Luzern/Zurich/Rapperswill/Interlaken + beers in pubs + dining out in restaurants + booze+food at our place in the evenings. I’m actually pretty tired of guests. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, I’m a huge fan of Doulingo, but as @Julianek mentioned, it’s good for beginners. I think that to practice speaking, one has to speak with someone who can correct you.

There’s a Zug library with English literature as far as I know. I definitely have to visit it. There’s also one with Polish books in Polish musem in Rapperswill. That’s a bit far, but we usually take our guests there anyway, because it’s a very nice town.

I prefer buying in Ldl/Aldi, but I’ll get credit cards from Migros and Coop. The one from PostFinance is too costly.

Thanks @Mr.HdLR for your awesome recommendations!

This is exactly what we do with my wife. We used to first take private lessons with a Swiss teacher (CHF120/hour), then we switched to Migros School (CHF700/month), and finally we switched to Polish teacher on Skype (CHF13/hour).

Zug is pretty smallish and thus its library is also pretty small, but as far as I know they have some English literature, so definitely I have to start using it.

Thanks for the info about Library Genesis. I’m also a heavy kindle user, so I will test that option as well.

Hey @Mobius, are you sure that CoopMobile still has that in the offer? I’ve been to local Coop City today and asked them about it and they weren’t sure about it. On the CoopMobile website, I also can’t find such info. Actually, 500MB for CHF5 is still a good deal, but I’d prefer the CHF99/year option. I guess I’ll give them a call tomorrow and ask if it’s still valid offer.

Damn, apparently it’s no longer available:

only compatible with the old CoopMobile Prepaid tariff (sold until 30.10.2016)

1 Like

Hey Fellow Mustachians.

I was wondering if any of you is working part-time to have more freedom.

I was thinking about that really hard last month because I was looking for a new job. After few interviews, I’ve realised that I can either negotiate 15% salary increase or a day off with current salary.

So do you think it’s better to work a bit shorter to enjoy full FI or to enjoy 20% of FI right away? For me second option seems to be more attractive as with my current savings rate I’ll be FI in about 12 years. That’s pretty long time, so I’ve decided to make that time more enjoyable. It seems to me that 20% more free time now is more valuable than 2 or 3 years saved on the path to full FI.

What do you think?

1 Like

It depends what’s your job.
You can spend your free time writing a blog.

I’m an IT guy. I have lots of other stuff to do in my free time - especially now when I have a baby. That’s one of the reasons why I decided to go for 80%. I was asking if anyone else is also working part-time or has plan to do so.

I was thinking about FI for some time because it’s not easy to figure out what to do once I’ll get there. I most likely will continue working 50%-80% or start a consulting business. This lead me to a conclusion - why wait 10-12 year to move to 80% if I can do it right now? And then in 12-15 years move to 50% or start a business. I’m also thinking about stop working and going for PhD once I’m FI. I haven’t decided yet.

Have you guys figured out already how to live on FI and how to get more of FI-like life before reaching FI?