Your weak spot / source of joy?

It’s kind of interesting to see that other people haven’t posted about it yet, but I think my weak spot is tech. Naturally, there’s always something you can buy and new versions are coming out constantly.

Think about things like an iPad, a GoPro camera, a drone, a new PC, a better WiFi router, new headphones…

I’m also a tech fan, but I never understood chasing the newest model and to get all the gadgets. Even if I had more than enough money.

The new model mostly don’t provide any significant added value. Maybe avery 4-5 years there’s something new exciting that I want to really get.

3 Likes

Tech was a weak spot for me when I was younger. Since then, I’ve been burned enough by useless gadgets to have gone off silly impulse buys. I use my PC a lot but have never bought the top of the line and instead only bought at the price performance sweet spot and usually at major developments (e.g. overclocked celeron 300A, Core 2 Duo, Haswell, Ryzen Gen2) then main ‘expensive’ thing I had to buy recently was my first Nvidia card for AI/ML usage and even then instead of paying 1500 for a 4090, I paid 700 for a 2nd hand 3090.

This week, I did price up a high-end PC and just for the ‘core’ elements it was under 2000 Fr which is not bad at all. My first 486 system cost more than that!

Screenshot_2023-10-29_22-24-28

3 Likes

I took the original “assigment” from @oslasho as something that wouldn’t be “financially” productive. So I didn’t consider things like buying groceries, paying rent and the like because I can already spend close to 2k there, and if I could use this free money for that, then I would have 2k extra to invest in FIRE which again, already in the original message was not permitted. Just seems like a technicality that derails the conversation a little bit.

Obviously if I earned a 2k heritage tomorrow, reducing work would be near the top of my list. Buying time is almost priceless, but I think that wasn’t the goal of the post.

3 Likes

I’d spend it in the following order:

• Buy long-lasting products I expect to buy in the future anyway. Like a good bike or a business suit. I think I wouldn’t know what to spend it on after 2-3 months.
  • Then I’d donate the rest to effective causes. Give Well estimates that saving a life by donating towards anti-malaria bednets costs around $4’500. I don’t think I could spend the money better than saving 2-5 lives each year.
4 Likes

I’d spend more on eating out, donating to worthy causes and set up something like a pension or university fund for a family member with kids abroad who is scraping by.

Is it really 4x48GB or 4x12=48?

If 4x48, I’m curious what kind of application needs that much (I guess AI/ML since you mentioned it, I’m not that familiar though).

I’d feel oddly old, I’m still in the perspective that 16GB is more than enough, while 32GB is absolute luxury. (32GB is actually useful for work as I’m using a tool capturing heavy live data at high frequency and capturing that in RAM)

1 Like

192GB.

I wanted to open more than 3 Chrome tabs. :stuck_out_tongue:

I used to be on team “my laptop needs the absolute best specs I can get” but truth be told, unless you’re into high specs gaming (a lot of even modern games don’t actually require the highest spec gear), are dealing with huge databases or mining some kinds of coins, for most people, 8GB is more than enough and 16 GB is plenty.

I’d say it’s mostly like spending on cars: most laptops under CHF 800 will take you from point A to point B and do the job you expect of a computer (heck, most people use theirs mostly as a media watching device with the occasional clerical work and could do all they need on a regular tablet). Some people elect to put more money in it either for specific use (which is fully understandable) or because they enjoy the luxury.

5 Likes

I think there is also a strong correlation between devices that have high specs and that are built well (e.g good keyboard and trackpad on a laptop).

I personally bought an expensive-ish laptop (MacBook air m1 – which isn’t even really high-spec :wink: ) mostly for the latter reason.

I have unfortunately been able to break both high end and low end devices (including allegedly rugged ones) so I’m very unqualified to make an assessment on that.

That being said, I would expect aluminum computers to be sturdier than plastic ones. Aluminum would also be more expensive than plastic so build quality in and of itself would warrant a higher pricetag. I’d be inclined to believe there is indeed a correlation between build quality and higher specs, with still a good margin of errors for outliers in both direction (I have never managed to break my CHF 400 Eee PC even though it runs like crap).

I prefer desktops as these are much easier to repair and upgrade.