Where to find frugal friends?

Me too. I’m near Bern :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m around Zurich, but I would definitely try to come.

1 Like

I would be interested as well. I’m new to this forum and rather new to Switzerland (im in Zug) but the ideas of FIRE and mustachianism are very familiar.

1 Like

Yeah! Another Friburger here! :smiley:

I would be keen to join the meetup, should you organize one, let me know!

3 Likes

I’m frugal, new in Switzerland and I don’t know anyone here. I’m located in Zug Kanton and definitely interested in any meetup provided that train tickets will cost less than average daily salary in Poland :smile:

2 Likes

Hey,
I live in Olten. Let me know if you are organizing any meetups!

1 Like

I missed the beer meetup! :smiley:
But let’s keep posted for the ones in 2019. :slight_smile:

Happy holidays everyone!
D

There is a new one suggested for mid-February 2019, check this poll

Hi there,

in case you’ve missed it in the Meetups section: There will be a meetup in Berne on July, 22nd.

I can relate to the experiences shared here: Financial topics are usually hard to address in the existing circle of family, friends and colleagues. So I manage by reading, participating in forums and - well - trying to meet some like-minded people in real life.

Cheers!
J.

2 Likes

Hi Dear Mustachian Fellows,

I was making a lot of thoughts in the last month about this topic, and decided to keep up, and still focus on my FIRE goals, frugal lifestyle, work/life balance, and my general happiness in the life.

I’m living in the suburb area of Zurich and commuting every day to Winterthur to work.

I don’t really have any frugal people around me, neither of my friends, nor my colleagues, but I’m definitely looking forward to meet interesting frugal-minded lovely people on a regular basis. This is a bit frustrating sometimes, and I’m thinking about again and again: "Am I totally weird? Am I the only one in my friends circle with my “weird FIRE plan? Am I doing it right?” etc etc…

And I’m always confident about my whole plan, and just noticed in this year, my plan is absolutely amazing, and it works!

But it is a bit still embarrassing to see the people around, they are totally controlled and driven by consumerism… They don’t really care of the money, environment, life, health. On the other hand I’m so happy to see, that consumerism works, and it is even better for our stock / etf performance on a long run!

I’d be up for a small meetup in Winterthur, if some of you are around. I know a lovely small place, with amazingly beautiful coffee, some tables, and ambient, relaxed atmosphere. Let me know if some of you is interested!

Have a nice day,
Mr.P :hot_pepper:

1 Like

Maybe also as an idea for sure there is a way to create a google map of Mustachians & interesting places for frugalism? Only the city or village is pinned and we use our nick names (because of anonymity reasons). Tried to find out how this might work and if we all could have access, but couldn’t find a solution for that yet.

@Mr.Paprika: I am close to Winterthur (in the pampas a bit south west), so yes I am in.

3 Likes

We could build a small (google or whatever) survey where we would put our canton in (which could get pinned to the main page by the admins perhaps?), and then I am happy to plot the map out of that data. :slight_smile:
That wouldn’t cover the “interesting places” part though. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Let me follow up on this - as a little “Old Year” challenge/project! :slight_smile:

What do you guys think would be a platform you would feel safe putting your Canton (and any other info you think would be relevant/interesting to look at; like age for example - open to suggestions)?
If Google Forms are not good for you, please reply - otherwise I will set up a short survey and share here.

5 Likes

Great idea! It would be cool to bump this idea up for the whole forum.
First of all would be important to define all the fields which to track. I’ve made some thoughts about the questions:

• Are you living in Switzerland?
  • If you’re living in Switzerland, in which Canton?
  • City? (free to answer)
  • What is your age? (age groups)
  • Are you already on your FIRE way? (yes/no)

That’s it. I think, with those informations we could create an anonymized Swiss Mustachians map. The question is, how many of us would fill this poll…

I’ve created THE POLL
Feel free to fill.

Cheers
Mr.P

4 Likes

Great, thanks for setting it up! You were quick. :slight_smile:
If the forum mgmt could pin it to the front page for a few days/weeks, that would possibly raise the response rate.

Once you start getting more inputs, feel free to share the raw data with me and I can attack it with some viz. :beers:

Edit: Similar feedback like rolandinho - perhaps that last question could be reformulated (or even obsolete), as I think all of us are “on the path”, since we are already on this forum. :slight_smile:

Filled it out.
PS this question i wasn’t sure about - do u mean already FIRE’d or on the path to / having intention to / saving-investing for FI / RE?

1 Like

Hi Together,

good point! I’ve corrected the last question.

Are you already on your FIRE path?

• Yes
  • I’m already FIRE :slight_smile:
  • I’m in the planning phase

If the forum mgmt could pin it to the front page for a few days/weeks, that would possibly raise the response rate.

This would be so great! @_MP & @Julianek what do you think? Could we improve our community with such a poll, and create an anonymized overview? It would be interesting for networking as well to see, in which areas could we come together more regularly.

Best,
Mr.P :hot_pepper:

I have pinned the topic for the next two weeks :slight_smile:

3 Likes