Where to find frugal friends?

I have pinned the topic for the next two weeks :slight_smile:

3 Likes

All the new readers in this topic: I’ve created a POLL to fill out. This helps all of us to get a better picture anonymized about the forum and it’s members. We will come back next year with the results.

Please help us to fill the poll, and get the expected results between 100-200 answered polls.

@Julianek: thanks for your help!

Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks for putting this together!

Two suggestions for improvements:

1. In the last question, add an option: “Not pursuing FIRE” (otherwise you’re going to get biased answers)
  2. For canton names, consider adding the French names in the response :slight_smile:
1 Like

Updated :wink: Thanks for the hints!

THE MUSTACHIAN POLL

3 Likes

We have 46 asnwers so far. We want to bump up the answers near or over to 100.
Thank you all, who already filled the poll :wink:

THE MUSTACHIAN POLL

4 Likes

Dear all!
As promised, here a first glance of our community - we have 63 filled in currently. :slight_smile:
I tried to identify the most straightforward way - to both build and share, so I chose Google Data Studio.
Happy to hear your feedback!

• The view should keep updating as new entries are being added.
  • If you right-click on the map and select Drill down, you will get the cities view (please note that this data is incomplete, as per survey entries)
  • The bottom treemap is not getting filtered, only the top elements are related.

Edit: Thanks @Mobius, I did some data cleansing, but missed those few FR-DE entries. :slight_smile:
If you guys notice any more discrepancies, shoot!

And continue filling in the poll if you haven’t already!

Cheers and happy holidays!
D

4 Likes

Thanks @dbu! It would be nice to consolidate duplicates in the bottom treemap to get a more accurate sense of the relative canton weight.

2 Likes

To get back to the friends topic: since frugalism/FI has emerged as one of my most favored topics, I test it with practically everyone I have a longer conversation with. Some deplore their own situation, but could never imagine changing their habit. The topic “let’s imagine you’ve won the lottery” never fails to get the juices flowing. Another topic I raised with my colleagues at work is the geo arbitrage theme: “the nest egg is what it is, let’s check how long we can live where!” Miraculously, two of them appeared to have very interesting ideas of their own, building and selling own business or pumping up savings with consultant’s salary nd buying real estate. Sometimes I might be making people think by action, e.g. when I decide not to join a particularly pricey event with my wealthy friend by stating “budget overrun” as a reason for not turning up. With non-FI girlfriend I repeatedly use the bang-for-buck argument, and she mostly accepts or does her own thing. Yes, we need to be aware that we are a strange breed, but also can rely on our common trait of being curious, which will help us find other topics to discuss with “normal” people.

3 Likes

BTW. I think the poll posts deserve a thread of its own. We should fork these two.

1 Like

A little thread bump to invite all the newcomers in the past few months - fill out the form above if you feel comfortable. :slight_smile:
Currently we have 71 participants.

The visualization is accessible here:

1 Like

Mini bump as more new members are joining (we now have 85 participants!)

Survey here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSetr92Yxk-X2pnnG6PbnjuS1roWI0znkpevUZbk3vA48hQG-A/viewform

Results here: https://datastudio.google.com/reporting/3a5fe4c0-084c-45be-8d87-d2d033995538

Is there a way to see if you have already filled the form in order to avoid duplicate entries ?

Since it’s just a simple Google forms setup - unfortunately not by yourself.
If you have provided the username last time you filled it, I can check in the backend and let you know via PM.

1 Like

I think I’ve filled it up indeed but - you know - age and memory issues
 :grimacing:

yay! I’m the 100th contributor!

\o/

Anyways, thanks for the poll, it’s really useful :slight_smile:

1 Like

Interesting poll. +1 for Berne

1 Like

Great to see the growth in the forum community, and correspondingly in our “dashboard”. :slight_smile:
We are at 124 entries now!

For newcomers and those who didn’t fill it in yet - please do so if you will :slight_smile:

where can we see the results? I’d love to meet the guys here in Geneva and exchange opinions

1 Like

What do you mean?
The “results” are the dashboard, and you can find organized meetups (not in these times though) in the Meetups section of the forum I suppose.

I filled the usernamer. I was hoping to find ppl by region.
I would say that meetups are fine if we are not many and wisk masks/gel

1 Like