What to renovate in a rental property?

That’s indeed the main argument. Would tenants complain and leave or ask for a discount in rent because of such inconvenience? The plumber thinks so but obviously he is biased.

Is it a luxury apartment?

I probably wouldn’t notice either way :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, not luxury…

Its not inconvenience, its probably just state of the art when your building was constructed.

Again, when I go up in the morning amd drink a glass of water, I simply put the tap on hot. Same when wetting my toothbrush. Until I really need hot water all the cold one was already used, with only little waste.

How long is the pipe to the bathroom or the kitchen from your? Which diameter does your piping have? 16mm? Do the math how many liter are im the pipes between boiler and tap.

Also consider that the pipes are in your building and not outside at 0°C, a insulated warm water pipe dont gets that cold…

1 Like

On my 140m2 flat back in France, we’ve installed un mini electric hot water boiler bellow the kitchen sink (5L) as it was at the opposite of the main electric hot water boiler tank (150L).
It was installed to reduce this 15 sec delay but we didn’t care about environmental rating and power usage at the time.

1 Like

If we were living in Israel or Australia, then water waste might be a bigger concern, but in Switzerland, perhaps the energy waste from a re-circulating system is more of a concern than water wastage?

Now, maybe yes. But in 10-20 years? Electricity will likely be produced by renewables and nuclear energy, but water is harder to “create” if e.g., glaciers melt and a period of drought happens… Now that’s probably too much speculation about the future…

Not that much speculation, already some swiss regions are facing water restrictions in summer.

And it’s a given the glaciers will be gone in a few decades (which is one of my worries since it likely will have a huge impact on water availability, also for hydro energy)

1 Like

Indeed. I was told by a professor studying glaciers that the ones in the Alps are 100% going to disappear and there’s nothing we can do about it. We might be able to save the ones on the Himalayas.

There’s also fear of the Gulf Stream stopping, that might make the whole Europe a lot dryer.

On a landlord site, nebenkosten are payed from the tenant, so save the 3k since you wont make a dome more from the flat…

Plumber claims the tenants would complain and possibly even sue me for the extra water they’d need to pay for.

The law today states you need hot water in 30 seconds after opening the tab. Have you done a Bewilligung?

But your is already build, i would take the chance and fight the tenants if they notice or complain. No reason to do it now.

Interesting, thanks. I wonder how one measures this? E.g., open the hot tap to the fullest (who does this?) and then count until the water reaches the same temperature as in the boiler?

Now it’s the moment to consider preventing such headaches in the future by investing a couple Ks more (in a renovation that likely will come close to 100K in total), might be a good investment…

I find it hard to imagine not getting hot water in 30 seconds for a small building of less than 3 storeys.

1 Like

Are you sure the plumber has your interests in mind here? (they seem quite a bit pushy for things that might mostly benefit only them).

3 Likes

thats why i would not do it… You can always blame it on something else.
Also if its not your building but only your apartment its gonna be (an expensive) patch work solution with basically more cost than benefits with more parts risking failure and requiring maintenance.

Oh no, I am the most suspicious person in these cases :slight_smile: that’s why I am asking here

It’s a single family house so it’s all in my control.

We talking about around 15s.

Having the hot water circulate constantly seems extremely wasteful for a single family home: